Leaving because unable to book

Disy replied on 26/06/2017 10:16

Posted on 26/06/2017 10:16

Well hello everyone. We have been members for 7 years now and we our cancelling our membership.  The reason being that people book up several sites at once and just cancel what they dont want at the last minute. They do this because they dont have to pay a deposit. We did get into one once which was because of a last minute cancelation. When we got there people were suprised we got in and we was even told that you have to book in Jan on several sites and just cancel what you dont want. This is not the way to run things. If a deposit was asked people wouldnt do this. We have mentioned this before but nothing has changed.  Im not paying a membership when I cant book anything .

Pippah45 replied on 26/06/2017 17:21

Posted on 26/06/2017 17:21

Some people consider that a perk of the club - so I guess you can't please everyone - a lot of sites are booked in December for the year - personally I work round it and find a site that isn't full or use the CL network.  I do think there should be some restrictions on the number of bookings and cancellations but that's they way they do things and most people seem to like it like that - paying a deposit when you are uncertain you will be able to go is an expensive past time.  I hope you find a system that works for you.  Many of us belong to the C&CC too giving more options. 

replied on 26/06/2017 17:28

Posted on 26/06/2017 10:16 by Disy

Well hello everyone. We have been members for 7 years now and we our cancelling our membership.  The reason being that people book up several sites at once and just cancel what they dont want at the last minute. They do this because they dont have to pay a deposit. We did get into one once which was because of a last minute cancelation. When we got there people were suprised we got in and we was even told that you have to book in Jan on several sites and just cancel what you dont want. This is not the way to run things. If a deposit was asked people wouldnt do this. We have mentioned this before but nothing has changed.  Im not paying a membership when I cant book anything .

Posted on 26/06/2017 17:28

people book up several sites at once and just cancel what they dont want at the last minute. 

It is is not possible to book more than one CC site for a given date on a membership. No idea where you got that idea.

Sorry. I suspect that you meant a series of bookings on different dates. I am one who books for 12 months ahead in December. I use all my bookings. If I had to make a deposit nothing would change.

Cornersteady replied on 26/06/2017 17:53

Posted on 26/06/2017 17:53

This is a myth in reality. Can't remember which month's magazine it was but the club chairman did sate that the club had monitored people who booked a number of sites like on booking day and then cancelled and it was very small indeed, and a lot of those actually re-booked else. For a number of sites and dates the club is very popular and the club said that it had looked at a number of different proposals to alleviate this but none of these including deposits was seen to be effective. Incidentally when the club removed deposits the number of no shows went down.

But it's your money if you don't like what's on offer then don't buy. It really is that simple. Hopefully you'll find sites that as good as the club sites you want to use.

Spriddler replied on 26/06/2017 18:02

Posted on 26/06/2017 17:28 by

people book up several sites at once and just cancel what they dont want at the last minute. 

It is is not possible to book more than one CC site for a given date on a membership. No idea where you got that idea.

Sorry. I suspect that you meant a series of bookings on different dates. I am one who books for 12 months ahead in December. I use all my bookings. If I had to make a deposit nothing would change.

Posted on 26/06/2017 18:02

I don't think he/she meant that people book multiple sites for the same day, more that they book multiple sites in one spell of booking.

I totally agree that the 'book'em all up in Jan and cancel what you don't want later' with no deposits required is a dreadful way to run the booking system, and which is why I use CLs mostly or non-Club sites. I don't use any other CAMC products as I get better deals independently, and as for the banal magazine; I unsubscribed when I stopped having open fires.

SteveL replied on 26/06/2017 18:07

Posted on 26/06/2017 18:07

We did get into one once which was because of a last minute cancelation.

Some sites are popular and supply far outstrips demand, so a certain amount of advance planning is required. However, there are plenty of sites that do have availability. Like ET we book the majority of our sites in December, and would only cancel in an emegency. If the club introduced deposits, it would not make any difference to how we book.

compass362 replied on 26/06/2017 18:11

Posted on 26/06/2017 10:16 by Disy

Posted on 26/06/2017 18:11

I'm sorry but the CMC don't take deposits , you could try the C&CC  or any indepentant sites , I believe they are quite willing to take your money when you book .

You'll be able to book as many sites as you like , good bye & good luck 👍

Navigateur replied on 26/06/2017 18:16

Posted on 26/06/2017 18:16

I suppose it could be possible to book a series of sites with The Caravan Club in the form of a cascade where when one booking finishes another starts. That is how I have my bookings for the summer when I am away for a number of months staying at each place for a few days but as I am a member also of the "friendly club" and also use CLs and their CSs, I have never actually had two Caravan Club bookings back to back. But I shall try that just for the fun of it.

I'm sad for Disy that The Caravan Club does not keep a pitch enpty on every site for her/him so that he/she can book at the last minute, as that arrangement would suit me very well also.

Oneputt replied on 26/06/2017 18:16

Posted on 26/06/2017 18:16

Hello Disy ....and goodbyelaughing

Dont know what your post has to do with introductions if you posted before?

Don't spit your dummy out and leave the club, if you can't get the site you want just book one of the excellent CL's.  

Tinwheeler replied on 26/06/2017 19:22

Posted on 26/06/2017 19:22

Why bother to post instead of just doing it? Perhaps you want us to beg you to stay, Disy.

The reality is that we all have the same chances to book. It just takes a little organisation and willingness to compromise if we can't get our first choice. 

EmilysDad replied on 26/06/2017 19:31

Posted on 26/06/2017 19:31

I've never booked any sites on the booking frenzy day in Dec ..... & never likely to either. We've just booked 3 CC sites though for over the next couple of weeks with problem at all.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook