"Small deposits"

Rob LesleyWorrall replied on 22/10/2021 10:47

Posted on 22/10/2021 10:47

What's everyones opinion on paying a small deposit, when booking a site. I personally can't see a problem if you're actually intending to go once you've booked. 

I am so frustrated with the situation where popular sites are unavailable, booked up by the "well we might want to go, if not, we'll just 72 hr cancel or not turn up and take a yellow card.

Walked around both Knaresborough and York sites recently, having had to go elsewhere to see numerous empty pitches.

GTrimmer replied on 22/10/2021 10:56

Posted on 22/10/2021 10:56

We encounterd just the same situation last September at Southlands I.O.W. When I tried to book a stay by phone last March i could only get one night. Suficcient for the ferry discount however, so we took it and found a very nice CL for the rest of our planned time there.

On our arrival we were told that there was plenty of availability to extend our stay.  

Yes, A non refundable deposit would improve tings considerably !

JVB66 replied on 22/10/2021 10:58

Posted on 22/10/2021 10:58

According to site staff here. .this. non arrivals have been a problem  this year and when looking at the figures, it seems according to the staff the majority seemed to be new members with motor,caravans/campers, so it may not be as you surmise all the timesurprised

When in the past this club did have deposits., it did not stop non arrivals ,in fact until the last couple of years non arrivals were less with the no deposit system,

It will be interesting to see next year with the new booking system? when it seems deposits are reintroduced if it makes a difference to the much talked about "problem"? You have posted about

Takethedogalong replied on 22/10/2021 11:03

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:03

It’s a strong rumour that deposits are on the horizon and getting closer. 

I’m not sure that I would be able to tell at a quick glance which pitches were actually empty, and which might have had a camper/MH out for the day though. I certainly couldn’t walking around Marazion in September. 

Cornersteady replied on 22/10/2021 11:06

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:06

The problem is that with a small deposit is that if it is too small and people decide to cancel they then, or did in the past, just did not turn up and more importantly do not tell the site/club. When the club removed deposits the number of no shows went down.

Under the present system people do tell the site and the pitch can be then taken. 

Compo replied on 22/10/2021 11:07

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:03 by Takethedogalong

It’s a strong rumour that deposits are on the horizon and getting closer. 

I’m not sure that I would be able to tell at a quick glance which pitches were actually empty, and which might have had a camper/MH out for the day though. I certainly couldn’t walking around Marazion in September. 

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:07

Most leave a sign if they are just out for the day.

SteveL replied on 22/10/2021 11:36

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:06 by Cornersteady

The problem is that with a small deposit is that if it is too small and people decide to cancel they then, or did in the past, just did not turn up and more importantly do not tell the site/club. When the club removed deposits the number of no shows went down.

Under the present system people do tell the site and the pitch can be then taken. 

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:36

I think they might if like the C&CC they collect the balance automatically on the morning of arrival. At least then they would only forfeit the deposit.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/10/2021 14:37

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:07 by Compo

Most leave a sign if they are just out for the day.

Posted on 22/10/2021 14:37

Yes I agree. Although coincidentally, I found a pitch that the Wardens didn’t know was free in September, much to our luck, so it’s not always as clear cut as it might seem. We leave a sign if we go out😁

JVB66 replied on 22/10/2021 14:41

Posted on 22/10/2021 14:41

Have arrived at Great  Yarmouth site and the site staff here.  ;First year with their own site and they have also said they have had quite a few non arrivals mostly motor caravan, have not looked to see if they were all new members 

They say that very few short notice cancelation have been noted

Cornersteady replied on 22/10/2021 14:46

Posted on 22/10/2021 11:36 by SteveL

I think they might if like the C&CC they collect the balance automatically on the morning of arrival. At least then they would only forfeit the deposit.

Posted on 22/10/2021 14:46

I'm not sure what you mean? Collect the whole balance automatically on the morning before arrival? Is that standard practice with CCC? or can people still pay on check in?

I actually have raised this idea as making check in quicker and safer during covid but some said they would the want the option.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook