Sites Directory and pitch charges

LeTouriste replied on 15/02/2023 14:15

Posted on 15/02/2023 14:15

Like myself, I would imagine lots of members need to know the likely costs before they go through the ritual of choosing a particular campsite, and the best price according to time of season.

A good example is the 2017/2018 CAMC directory - look up the campsite and the pitch costs are clearly displayed.  Not so now. To find out exactly what it will cost you means a laborious lowing through the system to get these important details.

I don’t know why this unhelpful change was introduced, but it is of no assistance to members and does not indicate any intelligence by the Club administrators when formatting the handbook.

DavidKlyne replied on 15/02/2023 15:02

Posted on 15/02/2023 15:02

I suppose it depends on how you chose a campsite. For us it's usually location first with price being a secondary consideration. Unless there are alternative campsites which meet our requirements regarding location price is a bit academic. I am not saying I would pay "any price" but if a campsite is where I want it to be the price not the most important factor. It may depend also how long you generally stay on a campsite, for us a week is usually the maximum and it's more likely to be from 3 to 7 days. Personally I find it only takes me a few keystrokes to establish the price per night I will pay on my PC. The truth be told I hardly look at the site directory much these days.

David

brue replied on 15/02/2023 15:33

Posted on 15/02/2023 15:33

It is helpful to have a tariff available to compare prices, it's now very difficult to find value for money places etc. I think you can compare things on the new booking system but it isn't as  easy as having a straightforward sites price list with seasonal adjustments. The C&CC provide this on line and in their directory even though the prices can be subject to change but  you get a good overall view from this list about comparative site costs and low, mid and high season charges. Other companies provide tariffs too.

It's unfortunate with CAMC that anyone looking for value in their searches can't do this without a big trawl through the over engineered booking system.

I call it obfuscation but it might also be lack of interest in what helps people find the right holiday.

I checked things out in the member offers section and apart from mentioning the very few non ehu pitches plus dogs and awnings go free etc there is nothing on offer or any guidance to compare prices which certainly vary over the whole network.

This has nothing to do with dynamic pricing it's to do with comparing the varying prices on offer.

Tinwheeler replied on 15/02/2023 15:53

Posted on 15/02/2023 15:33 by brue

It is helpful to have a tariff available to compare prices, it's now very difficult to find value for money places etc. I think you can compare things on the new booking system but it isn't as  easy as having a straightforward sites price list with seasonal adjustments. The C&CC provide this on line and in their directory even though the prices can be subject to change but  you get a good overall view from this list about comparative site costs and low, mid and high season charges. Other companies provide tariffs too.

It's unfortunate with CAMC that anyone looking for value in their searches can't do this without a big trawl through the over engineered booking system.

I call it obfuscation but it might also be lack of interest in what helps people find the right holiday.

I checked things out in the member offers section and apart from mentioning the very few non ehu pitches plus dogs and awnings go free etc there is nothing on offer or any guidance to compare prices which certainly vary over the whole network.

This has nothing to do with dynamic pricing it's to do with comparing the varying prices on offer.

Posted on 15/02/2023 15:53

Dynamic Pricing means prices more than x days/weeks ahead are unknown so cannot be listed for ease of comparison. Therefore, it has much to do with DP but, as CAMC doesn’t shown any interest in helping members compare prices to obtain best vfm, DP makes it easier for them to hide fees from clear sight. Obfuscation, certainly!

Tammygirl replied on 15/02/2023 15:56

Posted on 15/02/2023 15:56

It wouldn't take much for this club to produce a simple leaflet giving 'from' prices for all the sites as C&CC do and publish it online for all to see.

As brue says its so easy to just look at the list and one can instantly see the 'from' price without having to do dummy bookings.

It would be helpful for areas where there are a choice of sites at differing prices. 

brue replied on 15/02/2023 16:14

Posted on 15/02/2023 16:14

Yes TG. There is a base line for all pitch pricing on sites and even if the prices go up there is still a valid comparison to be had between sites. However with CAMC it's now not available.

peedee replied on 15/02/2023 16:45

Posted on 15/02/2023 16:45

I suppose if you are going to confine yourself to C&MC sites and don't have any thoughts on where you want to go then then it might be long winded to decide a destination. We always approach our away time very much like David, the location comes first and then we hunt for a site excluding nothing and only then chosing a site considering how long we might stay and is the price reasonable/VFM for the purpose.

peedee

Tammygirl replied on 15/02/2023 17:21

Posted on 15/02/2023 17:21

I think most of us do it that way Peedee but it would be nice not to have to do dummy bookings to get a price.

A leaflet or price guide online would be so handy to compare quickly without going through the sites directory. 

SteveL replied on 15/02/2023 19:00

Posted on 15/02/2023 19:00

I honestly can’t see the problem. If you want a rough comparison guide of base prices in an area, as has been mentioned, zoom in on the map. It shows you the from prices at the site locations. If you put dates in, it shows you the from prices at those times.

peedee replied on 16/02/2023 06:23

Posted on 16/02/2023 06:23

What it really boils down to for those having difficulty is they have no idea where thry want to go!

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook