Diesel / petrol banned by 2040 what do we do then

DreamMachine replied on 14/07/2017 17:57

Posted on 14/07/2017 17:57

the government has annouced the banning of all new diesel & petrol cars by 2040 !

so what do we do for tow cars after then -  or Motorhomes for that matter ?

I can't see how electric cars are going to be upto the job so is it back to using horses ?

yell

TonyIshUK replied on 26/07/2017 16:50

Posted on 26/07/2017 16:50

All the hand wringing gestures I have seen so far refer to CARs.

Anyone seen anything on other classifications of vehicles ?

Rgds

Boff replied on 26/07/2017 16:58

Posted on 26/07/2017 16:58

But on the positive side at least our railways are thriving and efficient beacons of free enterprise.  Just think what a shambles they would be if they were state owned like for example the German and Swiss railways.

Annchris replied on 26/07/2017 17:00

Posted on 14/07/2017 17:57 by DreamMachine

the government has annouced the banning of all new diesel & petrol cars by 2040 !

so what do we do for tow cars after then -  or Motorhomes for that matter ?

I can't see how electric cars are going to be upto the job so is it back to using horses ?

yell

Posted on 26/07/2017 17:00

I know it has just been announced, but it is already in motion. For example, Southampton City Council in there wisdom are banning ALL diesel cars from October!, from the City Centre, without any Park & Ride! We often tow through the centre of Southampton

We need a diesel for towing the caravan, (torque, weight etc) and it is our only form of transport

Is the Caravan & Motor Home Club going to lobby the Government to try and stop this madness by 'Greens' to get rid of Diesels, modern diesel engines are just as clean as petrol

cyberyacht replied on 26/07/2017 17:27

Posted on 26/07/2017 17:27

When it comes to foreseeing the future...

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers - Thomas Watson IBM

Even a fairly modest switch to  EVs will require more electricity. If the government was "really" serious, they would be insisting that every new large commercial building had a roof made of solar panels with existing ones given a timescale to implement them as well..

alanannej replied on 26/07/2017 22:15

Posted on 26/07/2017 22:15

Cyberyacht - not just commercial buildings. Or only the solar farms. How many houses are there in the UK? I would guess at least half would be suitable for a solar installation. Yes it helps ordinary people but it also puts power into the grid. I read somewhere that if we all had e cars we'd need 50 more nuclear power stations. At the current (ouch!) rate of building them it ain't gonna happen by 2040!

GodivaNige replied on 26/07/2017 22:50

Posted on 26/07/2017 22:15 by alanannej

Cyberyacht - not just commercial buildings. Or only the solar farms. How many houses are there in the UK? I would guess at least half would be suitable for a solar installation. Yes it helps ordinary people but it also puts power into the grid. I read somewhere that if we all had e cars we'd need 50 more nuclear power stations. At the current (ouch!) rate of building them it ain't gonna happen by 2040!

Posted on 26/07/2017 22:50

It won't happen, there's no way the energy infrastructure will be in place in time. Currently U.K. new car sales stand at approx 2.7 million per year so if the government think they will have the energy resources in place to charge  this many vehicles in the first year of their proposal, they are living on cloud cuckoo land. It has taken 5 years to agree on Hinkley Point before a shovel went into the dirt, and it won't be online for another 8-10 years. Dozens more Hinkley Points will be needed to supplement the demand required for transport, solar and wind farms take far too long to agree planning and only supply a tiny fraction of the U.K. energy needs.

2040, more like 2060 if not further away than that.

brue replied on 26/07/2017 22:59

Posted on 26/07/2017 22:59

Where have you been?! Solar energy surpassed nuclear power on the National Grid for the first time this year.smile

GodivaNige replied on 26/07/2017 23:29

Posted on 26/07/2017 22:59 by brue

Where have you been?! Solar energy surpassed nuclear power on the National Grid for the first time this year.smile

Posted on 26/07/2017 23:29

On one day? Just over 21% of uk energy is supplied by nuclear power but half of the stations that supply this will be offline by 2025. The government want to build a further 8 plants but Scotland have refused to have any new nuclear plants in their coastline.

If there are 2.7 million electric car sales in the first year of this proposal and they each charge at roughly 7kw, to charge them all overnight at the same time would require approx 19 Gigawatts

The proposed output for Hinkley Point C is 3.2 GW

Current U.K. Solar Power produced just under 9GW for one day earlier this year.

There's a long way to go before the energy supply resources will be in place ready for an influx of millions of electric cars. I don't think it will be in place for 2040 and then there's the problem of 60 or more trailing cables along a typical terraced street in a City, yet to see how that isn't going to be a big problem

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook