Diesel / petrol banned by 2040 what do we do then

DreamMachine replied on 14/07/2017 17:57

Posted on 14/07/2017 17:57

the government has annouced the banning of all new diesel & petrol cars by 2040 !

so what do we do for tow cars after then -  or Motorhomes for that matter ?

I can't see how electric cars are going to be upto the job so is it back to using horses ?

yell

GodivaNige replied on 27/07/2017 06:46

Posted on 26/07/2017 23:29 by GodivaNige

On one day? Just over 21% of uk energy is supplied by nuclear power but half of the stations that supply this will be offline by 2025. The government want to build a further 8 plants but Scotland have refused to have any new nuclear plants in their coastline.

If there are 2.7 million electric car sales in the first year of this proposal and they each charge at roughly 7kw, to charge them all overnight at the same time would require approx 19 Gigawatts

The proposed output for Hinkley Point C is 3.2 GW

Current U.K. Solar Power produced just under 9GW for one day earlier this year.

There's a long way to go before the energy supply resources will be in place ready for an influx of millions of electric cars. I don't think it will be in place for 2040 and then there's the problem of 60 or more trailing cables along a typical terraced street in a City, yet to see how that isn't going to be a big problem

Posted on 27/07/2017 06:46

Apologies before anyone jumps on me...

7kw/hr

19Gw/hr

Nissan blurb states the power to charge its Leaf from completely drained is 7kw/hr

Still leaves a problem with providing power fast enough. As sales of electric vehicles increase year on year. The rate of expanding the network to charge them will not keep up. There really will be a 'blackout' threat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/25/new-diesel-petrol-cars-banned-uk-roads-2040-government-unveils/

GodivaNige replied on 27/07/2017 07:26

Posted on 27/07/2017 07:01 by cyberyacht

Infrastructure provision is going to be the biggest issue the realise that timescale.

Posted on 27/07/2017 07:26

Indeed it is

The Government has 23 years to dig up every road in the uk that has on street parking, every car park in Britain, every motorway service area which will need a lot more charging posts than they currently have, basically, everywhere a vehicle stops for any length of time... then lay cables, install millions of charging posts, install new substations to power this network etc etc etc

Won't happen

Typical of a government to blurt out a new proposal without actually thinking about it or consulting the relevant experts.

compass362 replied on 27/07/2017 07:50

Posted on 27/07/2017 07:26 by GodivaNige

Indeed it is

The Government has 23 years to dig up every road in the uk that has on street parking, every car park in Britain, every motorway service area which will need a lot more charging posts than they currently have, basically, everywhere a vehicle stops for any length of time... then lay cables, install millions of charging posts, install new substations to power this network etc etc etc

Won't happen

Typical of a government to blurt out a new proposal without actually thinking about it or consulting the relevant experts.

Posted on 27/07/2017 07:50

They have already made a start in our area..... there are 2 charging posts in our local IKEA car park ......that holds 600+ cars 🚗

Every little helps.......sorry wrong store 😇

JVB66 replied on 27/07/2017 09:07

Posted on 26/07/2017 14:34 by Navigateur

When one takes into consideration the whole life cycle to produce, run, and dispose of electric vehicles this looks like a sure fire way of increasing pollution.One big positive of the Internal Combustion Engine is that it produces the power at the point of use. Making electricity far away, where someone else gets to breathe the air pollution, invokes the cost of transmitting it and the losses incurred shoving it down wires.

Then there is the problem of getting the electricity into moving vehicles. We have had electric tramcars, trolley buses, railways and Scaletrix for many generations but no-one has ever devised a way for overtaking to happen as smoothly as it does with independently powered vehicles. Maybe the future holds for roads equiped with power rails embedded in the tarmac and onboard batteries that are used for parking and overtaking.

However, as the proposals are (currently) for cars and vans there should never be a problem for motor caravans that are based on trucks and buses which both seem to fall outside the proposals.

Posted on 27/07/2017 09:07

But then the majority of diesel motor caravans are powered by the the same engines as cars ?

JohnM20 replied on 27/07/2017 10:31

Posted on 27/07/2017 10:31

Just out of interest, does anyone know:-

a) How long does it presently take to charge a 'typical' electric car starting from a flat battery?

b) What is the cost at the charging points seen in the likes of council car parks and Ikea etc? (There are undoubtedly many other locations).

Personally, I don't think I will ever see the changeover to the majority of vehicles being only electric. There are too many non-vehicle issues that need to be overcome. Many of these problems don't yet have a workable solution, I suspect, let alone the will or where-with-all to pay for them. I think it will go the same way as 3D televisions and the way virtual reality headsets seem to be going. Both a bit of an impractical gimmick but seemed a good idea at the time.

JVB66 replied on 27/07/2017 11:27

Posted on 27/07/2017 10:31 by JohnM20

Just out of interest, does anyone know:-

a) How long does it presently take to charge a 'typical' electric car starting from a flat battery?

b) What is the cost at the charging points seen in the likes of council car parks and Ikea etc? (There are undoubtedly many other locations).

Personally, I don't think I will ever see the changeover to the majority of vehicles being only electric. There are too many non-vehicle issues that need to be overcome. Many of these problems don't yet have a workable solution, I suspect, let alone the will or where-with-all to pay for them. I think it will go the same way as 3D televisions and the way virtual reality headsets seem to be going. Both a bit of an impractical gimmick but seemed a good idea at the time.

Posted on 27/07/2017 11:27

If you stay on a cc site with your electric or hybrid car,as seen by me twice now one Volvo and one Toyota (both hybrids) they just plugged into the external 3pin socket on their c/vanswink 

JohnM20 replied on 27/07/2017 11:40

Posted on 27/07/2017 11:27 by JVB66

If you stay on a cc site with your electric or hybrid car,as seen by me twice now one Volvo and one Toyota (both hybrids) they just plugged into the external 3pin socket on their c/vanswink 

Posted on 27/07/2017 11:40

What if it is a CC site / CL that doesn't have EHU? Will they be limited to the remaining diesel / petrol cars?undecided

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook