What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 18/10/2023 18:03

Posted on 18/10/2023 18:03

I did answer your query last night Nellie but when it wouldn't upload I realised that the yellyellyell Maintenance was taking place, yet again.

The red is a Common Darter and the brown one looks like it could be a female Common, particularly as they have yellow stripe on their legs and I can see one on your photo. They do turn dark with age but I cant be 100% certain. It looks like a Black Darter but they're normally found elsewhere plus don't have the yellow stripe.

Regardless, the photos are great.

nelliethehooker replied on 18/10/2023 21:45

Posted on 18/10/2023 18:03 by Wherenext

I did answer your query last night Nellie but when it wouldn't upload I realised that the yellyellyell Maintenance was taking place, yet again.

The red is a Common Darter and the brown one looks like it could be a female Common, particularly as they have yellow stripe on their legs and I can see one on your photo. They do turn dark with age but I cant be 100% certain. It looks like a Black Darter but they're normally found elsewhere plus don't have the yellow stripe.

Regardless, the photos are great.

Posted on 18/10/2023 21:45

Thanks, WN, I did think that it was likely to be a male and female but wasn't sure. They did pose nicely for their photos, didn't they!

Red Kites, Buzzards and Kestrals on our walk on  The Wolds today, and a Hare ran right across our path, just feet away.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/10/2023 21:32

Posted on 18/10/2023 21:59 by Wherenext

Did you run after it then Nellie?smile

Posted on 19/10/2023 21:32

Not me , but once upon a time Flyte would have been after it like a shot, as he would have been off the lead, but now in his condition  we keep him tethered most of the time, as you well know. However today we were able to let him free along by the wall of Covenham Res.

nelliethehooker replied on 22/10/2023 21:21

Posted on 22/10/2023 21:21

Larg skiens of geese flew over the CL we were on at Louth, Lincolnshire, this morning, heading north. I would think that they were Pink Footed Geese by the formations, number and the sound they were making.

nelliethehooker replied on 24/10/2023 21:23

Posted on 24/10/2023 21:23

More skies of Pink Footed Geese heading north this morning, and a lone juvenile Brent Goose feeding on one of the farm's fields.

mickysf replied on 24/10/2023 22:45

Posted on 24/10/2023 22:45

Today hundreds, if not thousands, of what I’m told were Plain Swifts in the sky above us with what I think were kestrels darting amongst them and a couple of Hoopoe on the grass below here in Adeje.

RedKite replied on 25/10/2023 18:41

Posted on 25/10/2023 18:41

Had the local Greater Spotted Woodpecker on the feeder on our lounge window ledge this morning and hope we will see the Middle Spotted Woodpecker again this winter.

Went to get some bird food this afternoon and the prices of bird food have gone up last year a 12 kg bag of sunflower seeds ranged from 18 to 22 euros well this year it is 30 to 37 euros rather a big increase so ended up getting 2 smaller 3 kg bags will have to check a few other places for prices just wondered what prices are like there  have they gone up a lot like here.

RedKite replied on 29/10/2023 12:56

Posted on 29/10/2023 12:56

Had 4 Cirl Buntings on our field this morning lovely to see also a lot of Chaffinches and Goldfinches, the ground must be busy with small insects after all the rain, also had 4 Red Kites flying low over when I putting the washing out.

A duller day today but still mild after yesterday.

mickysf replied on 14/11/2023 09:23

Posted on 14/11/2023 09:23

Up in Kildale on Sunday and spotted what I think was a pine marten frolicking along a fallen tree trunk. Bigger than a polecat, about cat sized. First thought was a mink but it was much larger. This summer, a wanderer from the nearby Dalby Forest population turned up at Spurn Point so this could have been one from there too as Kildale is almost a stones throw away in comparison. I hope so.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook