What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 10/10/2023 21:10

Posted on 10/10/2023 21:10

That looks like a European Hornet Bakers. Asian ones have darker stripes on sternum.

Whatever it is is looks like trouble.

Impy - Yes, I read they can change shape as well with age. Nice to know it's not just humans that do that.smile

Oneputt replied on 10/10/2023 21:22

Posted on 10/10/2023 21:22

Walked to the beach yesterday and on the way back along the river surprised to see a Red Throated Diver swimming alongside us.  Can’t remember if I’ve seen one there before

Bakers2 replied on 11/10/2023 08:00

Posted on 11/10/2023 08:00

Thanks Wherenext. I wasn't sure between the two. Not seen any more thankfully. 

Magpie has come down for food, scattering the huge flock of starlings. Strutting about by himself. I suspect the earlier visitors have had most of today's offerings.  They're all watching from a safe perch..... No sign of the collar dove.

Bright red sky this very dark start to the day. Now gentle rain but still 17c. Wind got up last night but now breezy rather than windy.

I think the plants are as confused as everything else with the weather. Yesterday a hamamelis was out in a neighbouring garden whilst in full green leaf!

nelliethehooker replied on 11/10/2023 21:37

Posted on 11/10/2023 21:37

Not an unusual mushroom but I think a good example of a young Shaggy Parasol which we came across on our wslk this morning's walk. 

Wherenext replied on 12/10/2023 18:28

Posted on 12/10/2023 18:28

Had a walk around Harewood House today.

Not long started the walk when I heard a familiar call from a bird that we came across last Autumn on a semi regular basis, a Yellow Browed Warbler. Looked up and there it was in the tree next to us. Also saw a Migrant Hawker dragonfly which stopped rather longer than the warbler to be photographed.

mickysf replied on 12/10/2023 20:01

Posted on 12/10/2023 18:28 by Wherenext

Had a walk around Harewood House today.

Not long started the walk when I heard a familiar call from a bird that we came across last Autumn on a semi regular basis, a Yellow Browed Warbler. Looked up and there it was in the tree next to us. Also saw a Migrant Hawker dragonfly which stopped rather longer than the warbler to be photographed.

Posted on 12/10/2023 20:01

Yellow Browed, a good spot Wherenext. I’m hopeless with these warblers, they all look the same to me. These ones though are thought to have found new migration routes and wintering areas in recent decades, possibly as a result of climate change. It’s suggested that there are far more now in the UK each autumn than we realise. I must learn how to tell the difference!

Wherenext replied on 12/10/2023 20:08

Posted on 12/10/2023 20:08

I was first alerted Micky by the distinctive call sign note that they frequently use. Might be best to learn that first as they are small birds easily overlooked. 

JohnM20 replied on 14/10/2023 12:10

Posted on 14/10/2023 12:10

Last year I noticed a patch of our garden had a lot of mining bees busy digging holes. This year there are / were considerably more with an estimated 500 active mines in the flower bed, approximately 40 feet x 3 feet. Today there are no bees evident. This made me wonder what they do in periods of heavy rain when water can easily enter their 'mines'. Yesterday the rain was torrential. Have they flown off elsewhere or have they all got drowned. I hope not the latter. They are fascinating to watch, never flying more that about a foot off the ground or going far from their own mine and having frequent squabbles over mine ownership.

nelliethehooker replied on 17/10/2023 20:51

Posted on 17/10/2023 20:51

A couple of interesting occurrence yesterday  and today

While in the orchard at Gunby House we saw numerous Red Admiral  butterflies feeding on the rotting apples, which I didn't realise that they did.

Today I inadvertently rescued a rabbit by arriving just as it was being chased by a Stoat. On seeing  me the rabbit dashed off in one direction and the Stoat in the other. Also saw a Hedgehog curled up against a wall, having not seen a live one for a while.

Here are a couple of photos of visitors we had on the outside furniture at the van on our last site. Perhaps WN can identify them.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook