What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Oneputt replied on 26/11/2023 13:56

Posted on 26/11/2023 13:56

70 Waxwings reported in Norwich this morning so shot over there to find 40 which was brilliant.  There are hundreds of the little beauties in the U.K. currently.  Yesterday it was reported there was a flock of 400 in Consett. 

Wherenext replied on 27/11/2023 18:30

Posted on 27/11/2023 18:30

Sounds like a good trip OneP.

We don't get many Waxwings over here. Has to be bad weather to push them further westward.

mickysf replied on 29/11/2023 20:38

Posted on 29/11/2023 20:38

Cracking photo of waxwings, OP.

A surprise today, a solatary cattle egret foraging in a frozen ploughed field. They are spreading north but it’s been freezing all day here just south of the Humber. Aren't they supposed to be birds of slightly warmer climes? 

Wherenext replied on 30/11/2023 13:35

Posted on 30/11/2023 13:35

Exciting trip to the Recycling centre this morning. Situated not far into a rural location.

We were exiting the site, not busy, onto the access road and saw a Merlin sitting on the hedge in front of us. We turned right and she flew low down in front of the car to a hedge at the next right turn. Nothing coming so we watched her for a little while until we were forced to move and off she flew, low again, obviously looking for a bite to eat.

mickysf replied on 01/12/2023 11:06

Posted on 30/11/2023 13:35 by Wherenext

Exciting trip to the Recycling centre this morning. Situated not far into a rural location.

We were exiting the site, not busy, onto the access road and saw a Merlin sitting on the hedge in front of us. We turned right and she flew low down in front of the car to a hedge at the next right turn. Nothing coming so we watched her for a little while until we were forced to move and off she flew, low again, obviously looking for a bite to eat.

Posted on 01/12/2023 11:06

I ‘saw’ my first one earlier this year. I’m sure I’d seen them before but was unable to differentiate between them and hobbies. In fact it was only with the help of a fellow nature watcher that I was able to see both. The Merlins are our smallest falcon, knowing that doesn’t help much mind at distance! They are beautiful birds.

greylag replied on 15/12/2023 15:07

Posted on 24/11/2023 16:53 by Oneputt

Hey GL,

just come across you post.  I used to use Terry Dactyl of Lowestoft Birders club but the have now goon over to Twitter.

Looking at todays news 6 were reported at junction of Westhall Road and Wisset Way.

For general search I Google ‘Waxwing Search’ and that comes up with a nation wide listing.  Hope this helps

Posted on 15/12/2023 15:07

Oneputt

I too look at those you have mentioned, living in Loddon I am quite close to this part of Suffolk.

Still not connected with the WW's, just heard of a large flock in Norwich, if it's sunny tomorrow, may try and connect.  Had new camera/lens for two weeks and hardly used it due to weather.

RedKite replied on 17/12/2023 15:30

Posted on 17/12/2023 15:30

Had a male Black Redstart flying front of our car this afternoon and land a outbuilding of one of the houses in a local village to us as we were on our way back home all the ones around here have gone now.

RedKite replied on 17/12/2023 15:32

Posted on 17/12/2023 15:32

Did see a Black Redstart on the roof of house in a village close to us whilst driving back home this afternoon all the ones around here have gone further south.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook