What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 31/08/2023 20:02

Posted on 31/08/2023 20:02

On an East Coast walk today, Lots of Common Blue butterflies about. What delightful creatures they are! A few Painted Ladies too. The former will hibernate while the latter will need to migrate south and over the channel to warmer climes. Maybe as climate change advances the habitats those Painted Ladies may just survive our colder spells.

A few hirundines still about but the swifts are absent. Summer is now officially over but that Blue Moon last night was a fabulous sight!

Wherenext replied on 03/09/2023 19:30

Posted on 03/09/2023 19:30

Had a stroll around Minsmere today. 

Nothing spectacular seen but an enjoyable day nonetheless. Highlights were probably Green Sandpiper, Bearded Tits, Juvenile Spotted Redshank and lots of Emperor Dragonflies.

We've been royally entertained by the Swallows on the CL plus a Green Woopecker.

Wherenext replied on 06/09/2023 20:28

Posted on 06/09/2023 20:28

Decided to have a late evening stroll from the Site. A Barn Owl flew over with supper.

Counted 40+ Swallows and House Martins sitting on telephone wires earlier on. They'll soon be gone.

Wherenext replied on 08/09/2023 19:45

Posted on 08/09/2023 19:45

Delightful day spent at How Hill nature reserve near Ludham today.

Mostly dragonflies with a wonderful Migrant Hawker (proper name) with supporting cast of various Darters, Hawkers and Emperors plus a few Common Brown Lizards, a Grass Snake, a frog or 2 plus an unidentified Deer. Not much birdlife but quite happy with the rest.

nelliethehooker replied on 09/09/2023 21:27

Posted on 09/09/2023 21:27

On our morning walk we spotted Red Kite and a Buzzard circling overhead close together. While the Buzzard was being harassed by 6 Crows there were none at all bothering the RK.

Wherenext replied on 11/09/2023 18:56

Posted on 11/09/2023 18:56

We were moving sites today to one in North Norfolk.

About 2 miles from the site on a back country lane we approached a crossroads. No one else around. We stopped and sat there watching this large bird of prey fly towards us. Just above tree level and we could see the magnificent markings on its breast. It was a Goshawk.

We were then beeped by an annoyed car behind us.embarassed

On entering the CL we had to wait at the gate to allow a covey of about 12 Red Legged Partridges to cross in front of us.

Must go out birdwatching with the caravan more often.laughing

Wherenext replied on 14/09/2023 18:57

Posted on 14/09/2023 18:57

Had a super few hours spent at Cley Nature Reserve.

The birdlife wasn't spectacular, although we did see Little Stint and a Peregrine sitting on one of the scrape islands, but more for the other forms of nature seen.

We managed to get a few of them to sit still for a while. The little Bee with the Red Admiral is a Tree Bee, the dragonfly a Common Darter and the Lizard has been named George by OH. We also saw another Migrant Hawker and a few Emperors as well as a Firecrest whilst walking past the NOA reserve on a walk over to Salthouse. 

We were a bit apprehensive that most of the Swallows had gone but there were quite a lot of them still at Cley, including 3 chicks sitting on a Crossbeam in one of the hides being fed periodically by both parents flying in through open windows. Unfortunately they had their bottoms facing us and we didn't want to disturb them by moving in front just for a photo.

nelliethehooker replied on 14/09/2023 21:33

Posted on 14/09/2023 21:33

No photos to compare to  WN's but when out for my afternoon walk around the woods I spotted the third of the Muntjac Deer that we have seen since being here, and I nearly trod on a Grass Snake, the first I have seen in a while.

JohnM20 replied on 17/09/2023 17:50

Posted on 17/09/2023 17:50

Today I saw a Sparrowhawk ! There is nothing special about that, I hear you all saying, but read on.

I was working just inside my shed doorway with my arm outstretched when the said sparrowhawk, trying to catch birds on one of my feeders, flew in and momentarily landed on my arm. I'm not sure who was surprised the most, me or the bird!

Wherenext replied on 17/09/2023 19:37

Posted on 17/09/2023 19:37

Nice one John.

Autumn definitely here as we saw, and heard, our first Skein of Pink Footed Geese flying over the caravan.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook