What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

RedKite replied on 26/08/2023 18:55

Posted on 26/08/2023 18:55

Had a few Jays on the plot today looking for food then 1 flew after a young Golden Oriole and its parents joined in so had 4 Golden Orioles flying around and then the Jays gave up when they realised the parents were about lovely to see the Golden Orioles with their young.

Also got 1 Jay that has found the bird bath so comes for a drink most days now.

More Swallows flying over us even had one fly close over me whilst in the little pool perhaps it was thinking of taking on water.

Also got 2 very young Black Redstarts flying about here today so a very late brood unusual to see in August.

greylag replied on 29/08/2023 08:49

Posted on 29/08/2023 08:49

What a treat in Norfolk.....Turtle Dove.  First one I've seen in 40 years.

mickysf replied on 29/08/2023 13:18

Posted on 29/08/2023 13:18

Fantastic, not seen or heard one since I was a youth. They were quite plentiful in my childhood but changing farming practices have not been beneficial. Conversely,  it’s cousin, the collared dove, wasn’t even to be seen anywhere on our shores back then but today they are everywhere. Just goes to show how sensitive habitats and species can be and how our actions help or hinder. One loser, one gainer!

Oneputt replied on 29/08/2023 13:53

Posted on 29/08/2023 08:49 by greylag

What a treat in Norfolk.....Turtle Dove.  First one I've seen in 40 years.

Posted on 29/08/2023 13:53

Where about GL?  We last saw them at Titchwell 3 years ago. There have been a few at Snettisham this year 

Oneputt replied on 29/08/2023 13:55

Posted on 29/08/2023 13:18 by mickysf

Fantastic, not seen or heard one since I was a youth. They were quite plentiful in my childhood but changing farming practices have not been beneficial. Conversely,  it’s cousin, the collared dove, wasn’t even to be seen anywhere on our shores back then but today they are everywhere. Just goes to show how sensitive habitats and species can be and how our actions help or hinder. One loser, one gainer!

Posted on 29/08/2023 13:55

The main problem with lack of numbers is Southern Europeans slaughtering them 

RedKite replied on 29/08/2023 16:38

Posted on 29/08/2023 16:38

We have had 3 Turtle Doves around here this year and great to hear and to see them even landing in our plot so good to watch with my bins.

mickysf replied on 29/08/2023 19:31

Posted on 29/08/2023 13:55 by Oneputt

The main problem with lack of numbers is Southern Europeans slaughtering them 

Posted on 29/08/2023 19:31

So human action once again is to blame! On an aside these collared doves ‘arrived’ in the UK at the same time as those Ringneck Parakeets. Today there are significantly more of RNPs here than our native Kingfishers. Interesting to note how these avians and others have spread across Europe and into northern territories. Similar patterns of expansions are seen with other species of flora and fauna. Sometimes this is to the detriment of what some would call ‘native’ species. I guess nature has no political boundaries and we humans can mess things up!  

But yes, the guns of Malta and others have much to answer for. I know that Chris Packham has attempted to rectify their ways and many European birders and environmentalists are on his side supporting his actions. It is the hunting/shooting fraternity that are to blame. We have a similar issue here with some species targeted by the same ilk. Golden Plover, snipe, woodcock and others being shot in the name of sport. Then of course we have the few who target our raptors. Dreadful wherever it happens.

Wherenext replied on 29/08/2023 20:00

Posted on 29/08/2023 20:00

Fields End Water AS site near March in Cambridgeshire was originally just fishing lakes and a CL.

We stayed there on several occasions and one year woke up to a singing Turtle Dove sitting in a tree next to our caravan. Absolute magic. Last one we've seen in UK but have seen them abroad. Lovely photo Greylag.

Wherenext replied on 29/08/2023 20:03

Posted on 29/08/2023 20:03

Had a few hours wandering around some old gravel pits on the outskirts of St.Neots yesterday, Paxton Pits.

Not much going on birdwise but dragon and damselflies kept us amused and interested.

A couple of Emperors, Common Blue Damselflies, Ruddy Darters amongst plenty of others. Surprised there wasn't a sight of any Hobbies.

Pliers replied on 30/08/2023 22:27

Posted on 30/08/2023 22:27

2 blue butterflies in our garden this morning.  
Talking to neighbours, seems there have been quite a lot of them about recently. 
Never seen them anywhere near here before, but a very welcome addition to our garden and local lists.

🙂

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook