What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Rufs replied on 29/06/2023 17:06

Posted on 29/06/2023 17:06

Back in his favourite position in the sunshine, just a bit concerned he may come indoors when the patio doors are open, but Spanish daughter arrives on Sunday with 2 dogs, so I dont expect he will stay around much longer. Blackbirds have been very quiet all day, yesterday they were darting around and screeching all day, hope next doors cat did not get any of their young which i suspect were on the ground.undecided

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 29/06/2023 17:29

Posted on 29/06/2023 17:06 by Rufs

Back in his favourite position in the sunshine, just a bit concerned he may come indoors when the patio doors are open, but Spanish daughter arrives on Sunday with 2 dogs, so I dont expect he will stay around much longer. Blackbirds have been very quiet all day, yesterday they were darting around and screeching all day, hope next doors cat did not get any of their young which i suspect were on the ground.undecided

Posted on 29/06/2023 17:29

Along same lines R-I’ve been watching a mother Goldfinch feeding 2 chicks on the garden under one of the sunflower heart feeders. She grinds them up then chooses a chick & feeds it followed by hunting for more hearts, what she don’t see is the chick then feeds itself from the ground🤣🤣. Young uns of all species have mum scooting about. Great fun.

RedKite replied on 30/06/2023 13:03

Posted on 30/06/2023 13:03

We had a pair of Stock Doves who were busy every evening on a branch in the tree next to our pitch gosh not keen on their bird call though.

Whilst having a meal in Rocamadour with all windows open in the restaurant we had Crag Martins and Alpine Swifts flying around also saw some Yellow Wagtails by a small river but no dippers about.

Plenty of Tree Sparrows on the site and plenty of butterflies and at home yesterday I watched about 20 Great Banded Graylings on flowers in the garden a great site to see.

Oneputt replied on 30/06/2023 21:55

Posted on 30/06/2023 21:55

Returned to Trimmingham today and the bad news is that the wardens think that a stoat has raided the nest, the good news is that the  Bee Eaters are still showing well.  Whilst there I spotted a fox stalking a magpie. I will post a photo when I return home

Wherenext replied on 02/07/2023 15:15

Posted on 02/07/2023 15:15

Had a sight of a Beautiful Damaselle on a river today and a Spotted Flycatcher on the edge of a woodland.

Lots and Lots of birdsong, butterflies and bees seen today at a water garden in rural Herefordshire. 

Had a close encounter with a young Robin fledgling when opening the window blind this morning. He decide I might be a good source of food and kept pecking on the window whilst sitting on the sill for me to feed him. Felt awful being unable to comply as he would have flown if I attempted to open the window.

brue replied on 02/07/2023 17:08

Posted on 02/07/2023 17:08

We've been pleased to see more fledgling gs woodpeckers on our nut feeders. Seems like they have done well this year  also the humble sparrow. Yesterday I sat on a bench in our front garden and a young sparrowhawk sat on a tree branch nearby then glided off silently into our yew hedge. They are brilliant hunters but I hope the youngsters keep a good look out. 👀

nelliethehooker replied on 04/07/2023 21:41

Posted on 04/07/2023 21:41

A good day all round today. We went to Threads Castle nature reserve again this morning and walking to the Osprey viewing point heard Serge and Willow Warblers, Reed Buntings, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits en route, and a Little Egret on the flashes. At the viewing point we could see the four young Ospreys on their nest platform, one of them helicoptering, obviously just about ready for her first flight. No sign of the parents unfortunately. There were also 3 Peregrines feeding on the top of walks of the castle, and one flying around too.Then we had a walk around the Threaves Garden woodland and from the hide saw a Red Squirrel and numerous Nuthatches at the feeder along with the usual selection of Tits and Chaffinches. There was also a Red Kite on one of the telegraph poles near the site when we were out for our post-dinner walk.

It is great to see that the Ospreys here have managed to rear 4 young again this year as other nests have lost at least one of their chicks from a brood of 3.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/07/2023 10:30

Posted on 05/07/2023 10:30

Resident Barn Owl around here on CL, and Red Kites overhead. We saw a beautiful pair of Mute Swans and their family of quite young Cygnets on canal as we cycled past, plus Dragonflies (not the bright green/blue ones but chunkier brown, Broad Bodied Chasers?) Have heard a woodpecker, possibly a Green one, and passing Belvior Castle a gorgeous Silver Pheasant, might be an escapee as not your usual kind.

Plus Spitfire and Hurricane flew over yesterday morning🙄

RedKite replied on 05/07/2023 19:14

Posted on 05/07/2023 19:14

Whilst outside gardening this morning heard a couple of Golden Orioles calling so I whistled back and ended up with parents and young flying about so 6 altogether before they flew in to different trees a lovely sight made my day. The Cuckoos have left and not sure whether the Nightingales have gone yet as not singing anymore.

Plenty of butterflies about Dark Green and Queen of Spain Fritillaries, Great Banded Graylings, Wall Browns, Common and Scarce Swallowtails and still a few Marbled Whites about.

JohnM20 replied on 06/07/2023 17:23

Posted on 06/07/2023 17:23

Just been watching a buzzard being harassed simultaneously by a crow and a sparrow-hawk.  It could have been a juvenile but whatever age, it didn't seem particularly bothered about the other birds. There have been quite a few buzzards overhead today and not very high up.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook