What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 12/06/2023 08:19

Posted on 12/06/2023 08:19

More balmy than barmy, a disturbed night’s sleep! 5am and a pair of wood pigeons cavorting across the roof of the motorhome. Beautiful morning here though.

nelliethehooker replied on 12/06/2023 20:25

Posted on 11/06/2023 19:13 by nelliethehooker

Thanks, OP. I think that I will drop Worcestershire Wildlife Trust an email to see if they have any confirmed sightings in the area.

Posted on 12/06/2023 20:25

OP, I did in fact email the Trust last night, and this is the reply I received today :-

Thank you for getting in touch with us about the possible nightingale you recorded on the Client Hills. I’m afraid it’s really hard to be definitive based on the App in this case. It’s generally pretty reliable but it would be wholly possible for it to have caught a snatch of song thrush or blackcap (or even garden warbler) and mistaken it for nightingale, especially against the backdrop of lots of other noises. That’s reinforced by the fact that there are very few records of nightingale for the county nowadays and none that I know of from that area in the recent past. Of course, it’s always possible that it really was a nightingale but I think it’s perhaps the less likely of the possible options. Redstart and nuthatch are both highly likely though. 

So perhaps I will hear or see one somewhere else, but not there!laughing

nelliethehooker replied on 12/06/2023 20:46

Posted on 12/06/2023 20:46

Today at our new CL we had the pleasure of watching more Swifts in the one location than we have seen over the whole of our 8 + week trip, along with Swallows and House Martins, and then down by the River Lune Sand Martins. I am being entertained by a very tuneful Robin, backed by a number of House Sparrows.

mickysf replied on 14/06/2023 07:24

Posted on 14/06/2023 07:24

At first I thought the bird that caught my eye was a yellowhammer, then the long tail gave it away. Haven’t seen a yellow wagtail in the UK since my youth. The occasional grey, yes, but this bird was predominantly yellow with a greenish back. I was well pleased.

RedKite replied on 14/06/2023 19:53

Posted on 14/06/2023 19:53

Just a couple of photos one the local town of Lalbenque when we were there the other day in a carpark was this unusual bee hive anyway when we came back to the car a lady arrived at her car next door to us and asked us if we wanted any information and went on to explain that this a local nature group who built and installed this bee have and the bees are wild honey bees and she opened a panel at the front so we could see the bees inside behind perspex and very busy very interesting and you see the warnings to not get too close the bees go in through the chimney at the top very interesting and more to go around the locality.

The second was taken through the lounge window so not as clear as the beehive and of a local green lizard and they can get unto 40cms in length so this was a bit smaller.

Managed to see a male Hoopoe today on our field then it flew off to check some tree stumps for insects and then flew into the next field and the female turned up and they flew off into a tree further away so that made my day and the Nightingale is still singing here even now great to hear.

Oneputt replied on 18/06/2023 11:27

Posted on 18/06/2023 11:27

The Bee eaters have finally return to Trimmingham quarry they successfully bred at last year. Hopefully make a visit in the next few days

SteveL replied on 19/06/2023 08:56

Posted on 19/06/2023 08:56

I’ve heard birds give alarm calls but yesterdays was truly exceptional. Two Magpies, that as far as I know aren’t nesting in our garden, literally barraging a cat with directed noise. The cat was cowering under a bush and when it tried to escape over the fence into the neighbours garden they followed it and continued the onslaught. The calls were very very noisy, health and safety wouldn’t have been pleasedπŸ˜‚. However, given the cats reaction, I assume some of the frequency we couldn’t  hear must have been painful to it. Eventually they gave up and the cat retreated.

mickysf replied on 19/06/2023 21:10

Posted on 19/06/2023 21:10

A hedgehog snuffling around in the rear garden. I’ve not seen one here ever, well not the twelve years we’ve been here. Such a delight!πŸ¦” Bats also flying around and swifts making an occasional sortie above the eves.πŸ¦‡

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook