What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 24/06/2023 21:11

Posted on 24/06/2023 21:11

Out in the NYMs today walking around Fryup and Farndale, a beautiful corner of Gods’s own Country. Spotted amongst others Buzzard, Red Kite, Grouse, Ring Ousel, Curlew, Merlin and a fair number of Pyewipe. It was very hot mind. 👍

Oneputt replied on 25/06/2023 09:18

Posted on 25/06/2023 09:18

Went to Trimmingham to watch the Bee Eaters.  Only 3 this year but appear to be breading.  No photos worth publishing

mickysf replied on 25/06/2023 10:38

Posted on 25/06/2023 09:18 by Oneputt

Went to Trimmingham to watch the Bee Eaters.  Only 3 this year but appear to be breading.  No photos worth publishing

Posted on 25/06/2023 10:38

Hope it was memorable despite the lack of notable photos. Let’s also hope these intrepid birds consolidate the population of UK bred Bee Eaters this season.👍

Rufs replied on 26/06/2023 09:31

Posted on 26/06/2023 09:31

I know foxes can be a nuisance and i certainly would not encourage feeding them, but since we lost Rufs this beautiful fox has sort of taken up residence in our wild patch, seems to spend most of the day sleeping then vanishes in the evening, my guess is that he is quite young and has no real cause to be afraid of humans, blackbirds do not like him and we must have had a second hatch as i have seen a couple of very young ones on the ground.

mickysf replied on 26/06/2023 21:00

Posted on 26/06/2023 09:31 by Rufs

I know foxes can be a nuisance and i certainly would not encourage feeding them, but since we lost Rufs this beautiful fox has sort of taken up residence in our wild patch, seems to spend most of the day sleeping then vanishes in the evening, my guess is that he is quite young and has no real cause to be afraid of humans, blackbirds do not like him and we must have had a second hatch as i have seen a couple of very young ones on the ground.

Posted on 26/06/2023 21:00

Yes, Rufs, they are fabulous animals and play an important part in the natural environment, trouble is we mess with the balance and they suffer. Unfortunately they are given a bad press and name by those with an agenda of their own. I recall the days when some Hunts would actively encourage them to breed purely so their abhorrent ritualised hunting could take place, thankfully that has no stopped.
But yes, due to our actions, they do need some control but only in humane ways and never to eradication and certainly not with the hatred some irrationally show..

Wherenext replied on 28/06/2023 11:52

Posted on 28/06/2023 11:52

Been at home a lot recently but nature never stops.

Sitting in our front lounge early last night watched as a Sparrowhawk came into view flying a bit awkwardly. Then I noticed it was carrying a heavy load but couldn't quite see what it was, thankfully.

Having breakfast this morning watched a Treecreeper climbing one of the Silver Birches at the end of the garden. 

Birdsong has been muted of late but they must be due second broods as I was awoken with a sort of mini dawn chorus at 4 this morning. Lovely to hear and start the day with.

brue replied on 28/06/2023 19:44

Posted on 28/06/2023 19:44

We seem to have a lot of blackbirds this year and a couple of them sing all day. A popular spot is on the top of a thirty foot conifer not far from our bedroom window . Singing starts about 4am and will end at dusk...I presume they get a few hours rest?!

A word of warning, the conifer was planted as a dwarf slow grower! wink

nelliethehooker replied on 28/06/2023 21:48

Posted on 28/06/2023 19:44 by brue

We seem to have a lot of blackbirds this year and a couple of them sing all day. A popular spot is on the top of a thirty foot conifer not far from our bedroom window . Singing starts about 4am and will end at dusk...I presume they get a few hours rest?!

Posted on 28/06/2023 21:48

I have notice this year just how many Blackbirds have been about. Everywhere we have walked they are the predominant songsters, along with Wrens and Robins, as you say, from very early morning until it starts to go dark.

Rufs replied on 29/06/2023 07:50

Posted on 28/06/2023 19:44 by brue

Posted on 29/06/2023 07:50

There is a deathly hush this morning, no birds singing, no fox sleeping in the long grass, but i am sure the shrubs have grown overnight, perhaps it is because we have rain, first time in 2 months laughing

brue replied on 29/06/2023 08:45

Posted on 29/06/2023 08:45

Yes I think I too will include a small amount of rain in "what have you seen." It dampened the surface, just like a mountain mist, coming over our local hills. Fresher air this morning. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook