What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Takethedogalong replied on 17/05/2023 09:31

Posted on 15/05/2023 18:38 by Bakers2

Been wondering why/what was knocking bird feeders off our tree.

Just stood and watched the visiting crow/rook, we also have 2 jackdaws whom I'd suspected, land on the branch and carefully lift off by the hanger and dropping it to the floor.....

I love feeding the birds but anyone any idea how I can continue to use hanging feeders for all my lovely little birds nesting in the garden and stop this happening. He does it with all types of feeders including squirrel-proof ones. Seeds and fat balls.

Pheasants and pigeons enjoying the spoils....

Posted on 17/05/2023 09:31

My first thought was Jackdaws might untie any stringšŸ¤£ We have squirrels that delight in taking tops off feeders and depositing contents on the ground!

Wherenext replied on 17/05/2023 17:18

Posted on 17/05/2023 17:18

Sitting in the sunshine outside the caravan listening to all of the usual chatter from the hedgerow birds but can also hear a Skylark and a Yellowhammer from the farm field opposite us.

Heard the House Martins making a commotion and saw them mobbing a Hobby. Brave little things.

RedKite replied on 17/05/2023 18:14

Posted on 17/05/2023 18:14

Good to hear these birds WN as they are rare in some parts of UK.

The Hoopoe has arrived here one of my favourite birds here in our plot.

Also seen Black Veined-White butterfly today a bit earlier than last year, also Small Copper and Pearly Heaths seen must be the sunshine and a bit warmer.

nelliethehooker replied on 17/05/2023 21:40

Posted on 17/05/2023 21:40

More cuckoos calling over by The Big Pit today, heard lots of Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs, and a Treecreeper around by the Garn Lakes nr Blaenavon, and our first Marsh Orchid for this year.

brue replied on 18/05/2023 14:26

Posted on 18/05/2023 14:26

No cuckoo's in Start Bay but plenty of other birds to see and hear. Cettis Warblers quite active. Lots of  Swans on Slapton Ley.

Oneputt replied on 18/05/2023 16:12

Posted on 18/05/2023 16:12

At Pullborough Brooks, heard but not seen, 2 x nightingales, a cuckoo, and a garden warbler.  Lots off chiff chaffs and black caps around

Wherenext replied on 18/05/2023 17:26

Posted on 18/05/2023 17:26

I had a visit from the Neuro-Physciatrist a few days after my stroke back in mid October and she asked me if I had any goals for recovery. One of them mentioned was the ability to both hold and use my binoculars, impossible at that time and we had a chat about "managing expectations" but finally today was the day when everything clicked into place and my own expectations had finally been managed. No pain in the shoulder and ability to turn the focus with my previously useless hand. 

It's been a long haul but today made it worthwhile especially as we were at Bempton. We walked along to Flamborough and had an exceptional days birdwatching....

There was Gannets and Guillemots and Razorbills and Puffins and....breathe... Kittiwakes and Fulmars and Rock Doves and...Skylarks and Meadow Pipits and Tree Sparrows and Sedge Warblers and Whitethroats and 2 Hares chasing each other and.... best of all a Pod of Dolphins slowly making their way northwards.

The walk was good for me as well.

nelliethehooker replied on 18/05/2023 21:17

Posted on 18/05/2023 17:26 by Wherenext

I had a visit from the Neuro-Physciatrist a few days after my stroke back in mid October and she asked me if I had any goals for recovery. One of them mentioned was the ability to both hold and use my binoculars, impossible at that time and we had a chat about "managing expectations" but finally today was the day when everything clicked into place and my own expectations had finally been managed. No pain in the shoulder and ability to turn the focus with my previously useless hand. 

It's been a long haul but today made it worthwhile especially as we were at Bempton. We walked along to Flamborough and had an exceptional days birdwatching....

There was Gannets and Guillemots and Razorbills and Puffins and....breathe... Kittiwakes and Fulmars and Rock Doves and...Skylarks and Meadow Pipits and Tree Sparrows and Sedge Warblers and Whitethroats and 2 Hares chasing each other and.... best of all a Pod of Dolphins slowly making their way northwards.

Posted on 18/05/2023 21:17

Great news about your focussing abilities, and some grand spotting too.

mickysf replied on 19/05/2023 21:47

Posted on 18/05/2023 17:26 by Wherenext

Posted on 19/05/2023 21:47

Fantastic news! Keep walking and watching, Wherenext.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/05/2023 21:52

Posted on 19/05/2023 21:52

Walking along by the Brecon canal today saw both Mallard ducklings and Canada Goose goslings, lots of the usual warblers singing and caught sight of a Kingfisher, not flying along the canal but across an open field away from the canal to a small copse through which a river flowed, so I guess that was where it was heading.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook