What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 11/05/2023 22:00

Posted on 11/05/2023 22:00

We, too, have had a smashing day Nellie. Visited Far Ings nature reserve set by the River Humber. Amazed to see Bitterns flying on 3 separate occasions but think it was just 2 Bitterns. Also saw where one of them landed and able to see him through the reeds.

Nearly deafened by a Cetti's Warbler that let rip about 18" from my ear. Also watched some Common Terns feeding on the lakes, a beautiful Pochard, Marsh Harriers and best of all saw a female Great Crested Grebe sitting on a nest tucked away almost out of sight and watched as she carefully rose a little and turned the eggs on the nest to keep each part moist. So touching.

Also some Garden Warblers and Blackcaps. Got caught in a cloudburst but had waterproofs and brollies with us. 

mickysf replied on 12/05/2023 07:40

Posted on 11/05/2023 22:00 by Wherenext

We, too, have had a smashing day Nellie. Visited Far Ings nature reserve set by the River Humber. Amazed to see Bitterns flying on 3 separate occasions but think it was just 2 Bitterns. Also saw where one of them landed and able to see him through the reeds.

Nearly deafened by a Cetti's Warbler that let rip about 18" from my ear. Also watched some Common Terns feeding on the lakes, a beautiful Pochard, Marsh Harriers and best of all saw a female Great Crested Grebe sitting on a nest tucked away almost out of sight and watched as she carefully rose a little and turned the eggs on the nest to keep each part moist. So touching.

Also some Garden Warblers and Blackcaps. Got caught in a cloudburst but had waterproofs and brollies with us. 

Posted on 12/05/2023 07:40

Fascinating place, Far Ings. Often see Water Rail there and once a couple of Ospreys on their migration south. So many nature reserves are within driving distance and worth visiting around the South Humber region. We have just moved on to the North Norfolk coast and looking forward to visiting the reserves here. Hopefully the weather will improve though, blustery, ‘fretty’ and chilly here at the moment.

brue replied on 12/05/2023 19:15

Posted on 12/05/2023 19:15

It's a long time since Greenfinches were hit by a deadly disease and we lost our local birds but today we saw a pair of Greenfinches in our garden. smile

mickysf replied on 12/05/2023 20:48

Posted on 12/05/2023 20:48

A green woodpecker right outside the motorhome feeding on the grass finger between our pitch and the neighbours. Beautiful colours they are. Reached for my camera and spooked him. What fabulous eye sight they must have. Still, lovely to see this bird as I’ve never seen one near us.

nelliethehooker replied on 12/05/2023 20:54

Posted on 12/05/2023 19:15 by brue

It's a long time since Greenfinches were hit by a deadly disease and we lost our local birds but today we saw a pair of Greenfinches in our garden. smile

Posted on 12/05/2023 20:54

By coincidence I spotted a Greenfinch today just as we drove down to the site, and immediately after a male Bullfinch. Walking by the river this afternoon, as well as a background chorus of birdsong, from Blackcaps, Garden Warblers, Chiffchaffs etc I saw a female Goosander and a male GSW, but the best was a watching a male Dipper feeding at least 2 of it's young, with the female just a little way downstream. Then this evening I watched a Nuthatch burying a nut in the moss on a tree branch.

nelliethehooker replied on 13/05/2023 21:51

Posted on 13/05/2023 21:51

More of the same today, GSW, Nuthatch, Dipper, and Willow Warblers, but the surprising event was a swarm of bees (wasps?) flying directly over the van as we stood outside.😯 Thankfully none landed or got into the van and they were gone in a couple of minutes!

Wherenext replied on 14/05/2023 17:22

Posted on 14/05/2023 17:22

Saw our first Hobby (bird not caravan) of the year today. Flying quite high as not many Dragonflies out yet so he was probably on the prowl for House Martins.

Also saw a Kingfisher and a Reed Warbler or two. There's also a wet meadow that we walked through and there was loads of Cowslips out and the odd Ragged Robin.

Takethedogalong replied on 14/05/2023 18:55

Posted on 14/05/2023 18:55

Hedge next to us is full of greenfinches😁 Heard, but not seen, a cuckoo. We haven’t been down to marshes yet, but did see a Marsh Harrier in field out on a cycle ride, and another while in car yesterday.

mickysf replied on 14/05/2023 19:53

Posted on 14/05/2023 19:53

A fabulous day on the North Norfolk coastal reserves. Avocet, marsh harrier, bearded reedings, teal, garganay, several warblers (I’m not confident or experienced to specify) golden plover, spoonbill and cuckoo.

The morning started with haar coming in from the sea but the sun shone in the afternoon. Just returned from a walk in Sheringham Park, lots of muntjacs and CW deer about and not shy. Maybe we need some native ‘big’ cats to sort them out as they are causing problems here. 😉

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook