What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

N1805 replied on 20/05/2023 21:10

Posted on 20/05/2023 21:10

Not a good photo but saw Female Merganser with young on the grass bank/waters edge -  river Avon Stratford Sub Castle north of Salisbury also this commemorative stone not far from Old Sarum Castle.

nelliethehooker replied on 20/05/2023 21:24

Posted on 20/05/2023 21:10 by N1805

Not a good photo but saw Female Merganser with young on the grass bank/waters edge -  river Avon Stratford Sub Castle north of Salisbury also this commemorative stone not far from Old Sarum Castle.

Posted on 20/05/2023 21:24

We spotted a mother Merganser and 5 young on the R.Usk this afternoon, going like the blazes as something must have spooked them.

mickysf replied on 22/05/2023 16:52

Posted on 22/05/2023 16:52

Out on Lakenheath Fen today. Hobby, Bittern, Marsh Harriers, Whitethroat, cuckoo spotted just to name a few. A fellow watcher pointed out a fleeting distant silhouetted large bird and announced it was a crane. I wasn’t confident to claim that, my eyesight is not what it was but I have seen them here on previous visits. Watching the hobbies passing dragonflies to one another in mid air and the bitterns flying over the reed beds were the highlights for me.

Wherenext replied on 22/05/2023 19:28

Posted on 22/05/2023 19:28

We were at Lakenheath in June last year Micky and the Bitterns were flying then, mainly to get food for the young. We did see Cranes as well but also saw a Purple Heron  so your big bird could well have been that or a Crane. Lovely place though.

We moved site today but were treated to 2 Bullfinches feeding on seed heads just outside the caravan whilst we were having breakfast. Currently listening to the evocative calling of Curlews on the moorland behind the site along with a calling Cuckoo.

Have to say the blossom has been wonderful this Spring wherever we have been.

Oneputt replied on 23/05/2023 10:02

Posted on 22/05/2023 16:52 by mickysf

Out on Lakenheath Fen today. Hobby, Bittern, Marsh Harriers, Whitethroat, cuckoo spotted just to name a few. A fellow watcher pointed out a fleeting distant silhouetted large bird and announced it was a crane. I wasn’t confident to claim that, my eyesight is not what it was but I have seen them here on previous visits. Watching the hobbies passing dragonflies to one another in mid air and the bitterns flying over the reed beds were the highlights for me.

Posted on 23/05/2023 10:02

For the past few years Cranes have been breeding around the reserve so it’s a possibility that’s what you saw

mickysf replied on 23/05/2023 16:45

Posted on 23/05/2023 10:02 by Oneputt

For the past few years Cranes have been breeding around the reserve so it’s a possibility that’s what you saw

Posted on 23/05/2023 16:45

I don’t know how successful the cranes have been Oneputt since we first visited about a decade ago. The young then were predated. Also, Golden Oriels, several pairs, bred here regularly (with in my life time) but have long gone. One was heard briefly this spring apparently but not seem. Sad but true, what can we do to undo the damage caused? The staff have adopted a no mow May in as much of the reserve as possible which could help kickstart the bottom of the food chain. Let’s hope so!

Wherenext replied on 23/05/2023 19:03

Posted on 23/05/2023 19:03

We went for a stroll alongside the River Hebden today. Plenty of songbirds in the trees and the usual suspects on the fast flowing rapids and stream but the one thing that stood out for us today was perfection in a small way.

It was a Beech tree and its leaves were blemish free and we admired them in the sunshine as flawless. Sheer beauty and lovely to see such a healthy tree.

mickysf replied on 23/05/2023 19:17

Posted on 23/05/2023 19:17

Visited Lynford Lakes and the Arboretum. Both owned by Forestry England. Some truly spectacular tree specimens to admire and a lovely walk out. Once again many areas left to no mow May and the wildflower areas were buzzing with insect life. Little grebe adults with babies on the water along with great crested grebes. Again several cuckoos calling.

Fisherman replied on 24/05/2023 09:11

Posted on 24/05/2023 09:11

The woodpecker is busy trying to get the chicks out of the small bird boxes. Thats life as no doubt he has a brood to feed somewhere.

Wherenext replied on 24/05/2023 18:31

Posted on 24/05/2023 18:31

We've seen them taking Chaffinch chicks from a nest built in the Ivy of a tree. He came back 3 times and just ignored the protestations of the adult birds. It happens.

Grand day out. Walking next to a river we were crossing a bridge when we saw a Water Vole. Not for long though as he soon disappeared. Grey Wagtails nd Dippers on the rougher sections. Lots of Pink Purslane out.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook