What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 18/04/2023 20:03

Posted on 18/04/2023 20:03

Went for an evening walk along the coast. Air temperature 12C but so warm in the sun’s rays before it dipped. Very little of the unusual to see however  several ‘squadrons’ of gannet out beyond the surf probably heading to the breeding grounds of Bempton Cliffs made the tranquility sublime. I love it! Have had the regular dolphin pods perform lately but not today.

brue replied on 19/04/2023 09:57

Posted on 19/04/2023 09:57

It's very chilly here with a cold wind still coming in from the east. The Swallows are still not visible although I'm sure there are some around. There are fixed spots where see them, the main one is a neighbour's huge old barn which has a swallow door at the top. No activity yet. I keep a record each year, last year it was April 16th. 

brue replied on 19/04/2023 16:36

Posted on 19/04/2023 16:36

Well, today  the wind changed from the east to the south and then dropped altogether, lo and behold two Swallows came over on the SW route. So this year it's an April 19th arrival (the latest in recent years was April 22nd.) Good to see them heading for their regular nest sites in the village, they usually hang around on the phone wires till more of the family members catch up. smilesmilesmile

RedKite replied on 19/04/2023 17:58

Posted on 19/04/2023 17:58

Whilst out doing a bit of gardening and something moved not far from me had a quick glance  to the left and the Nightingale had landed on a branch about 5 feet from me and started singing lovely and then flew off to another tree further away.

Also had more House Martins flying over and now got the Middle Spotted Woodpecker on the fat balls.

Wherenext replied on 19/04/2023 18:42

Posted on 19/04/2023 18:42

There was about half a dozen Swallows flying over the Dee Marsh area near Parkgate today as well as a reeling Grasshopper Warbler (no sign of him though).

Yesterday we were "attacked" by hundreds of Pollen Beetles, thrip size and harmless but annoying. We found out that they are particularly attracted to the colour yellow and we both  had a yellowish gilet on. Had to abandon what we were going to do and find somewhere else.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/04/2023 21:29

Posted on 19/04/2023 21:29

There were Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs giving voice as we walked by the R. Bradford this morning, and although we didn't see any Dippers, for which the stream is renowned, we do see a Grey Wagtail and a pair of Mandarin Ducks. In the afternoon we saw quite a number of Swallows over a fishing lake, having only seen an odd one or two previously this Spring.

replied on 19/04/2023 21:34

Posted on 19/04/2023 21:29 by nelliethehooker

There were Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs giving voice as we walked by the R. Bradford this morning, and although we didn't see any Dippers, for which the stream is renowned, we do see a Grey Wagtail and a pair of Mandarin Ducks. In the afternoon we saw quite a number of Swallows over a fishing lake, having only seen an odd one or two previously this Spring.

Posted on 19/04/2023 21:34

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Oneputt replied on 20/04/2023 16:22

Posted on 20/04/2023 16:22

When at Pulborough Brooks last week I decided to test my birdsong app so played the nightingale song.  Back at reception I ask one of the staff what the earliest sighting of nightingales had been n recent years, the lady gave me a date but then said it’s strange someone had heard one that very dat up at snake alley. Embarrassed somewhat I told them it was probably me playing my App 

Never mind I will go back in mid May and see and hear the real thing

Wherenext replied on 20/04/2023 16:33

Posted on 20/04/2023 16:33

Oh dear Oneputt.embarassedsmile

A day of flowers with some birdlife today on a walk that took in open agricultural fields, a wood with a small stream running through it and some paths with attractive flowers. Amongst the nature seen were King Cups, Wood Anenomes, plenty of Celandine and Stitchwort, Some Bluebell and a lovely stand of Jumbo or Spanish Bluebells, Orange Tip, Speckled Wood and very tired looking Peacock butterflies. Probably one from last year returning. 

Birdlife included wonderful Skylarks.

nelliethehooker replied on 20/04/2023 21:56

Posted on 20/04/2023 16:33 by Wherenext

Oh dear Oneputt.embarassedsmile

A day of flowers with some birdlife today on a walk that took in open agricultural fields, a wood with a small stream running through it and some paths with attractive flowers. Amongst the nature seen were King Cups, Wood Anenomes, plenty of Celandine and Stitchwort, Some Bluebell and a lovely stand of Jumbo or Spanish Bluebells, Orange Tip, Speckled Wood and very tired looking Peacock butterflies. Probably one from last year returning. 

Birdlife included wonderful Skylarks.

Posted on 20/04/2023 21:56

Very similar to what we saw today up Lathkilldale, with water meadows yellow from  Celendines and Dandilions, real Bluebells and Wood Anenomes in the woods, and Marsh Marigolds on the river banks, and unexpectedly a cluster of purple and white  Fritillary. There was also quite a lot of rather dull Peacock Butterflies plus numerous Orange Tips and a couple of Brimstones, plus one Small Blue. More Mandarin Ducks on the river, but still no Dippers, and spotted a Chiffchaff giving voice by the water.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook