What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 04/04/2023 20:56

Posted on 04/04/2023 20:56

Went for a walk in one of our coastal denes today. Birdsong was fabulous, all the usual suspects, chiffchaffs and a distinct repetitive call I just can’t identify at present. Anyone tried one of those apps which helps identify bird song? Then went out on the coast path away from the trees and bushes, very little to see today. Warm with a good hatch of insects so had hoped to see hirundines and those unrelated ‘native’ swifts but non about yet up here. Shouldn’t be long before the sand martins appear, they are usually the first. No alpine swifts today but I’m told a few are still around.

Wherenext replied on 05/04/2023 16:05

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:05

Micky, a repetitive note is usually the preserve of the Great Tit or a Chaffinch. The Great Tit has dozens of calls in its repertoire.

mickysf replied on 05/04/2023 17:30

Posted on 05/04/2023 16:05 by Wherenext

Micky, a repetitive note is usually the preserve of the Great Tit or a Chaffinch. The Great Tit has dozens of calls in its repertoire.

Posted on 05/04/2023 17:30

Thanks WN, my first thought is that it was either one of our native woodpeckers or a raptor. When I’ve time I’ll do a bit of research. The sound was very loud and rather deep and resonated around the woodland for some distance. The bird was in the high leafless canopy but I still could not pinpoint it’s locate or spot it despite spending some time and ending up with a crick in my neck! I’ll have a look at those bird song apps, maybe they will help.

Pliers replied on 07/04/2023 13:29

Posted on 07/04/2023 13:29

Heard my 1st willow warbler of the year, this morning. 
No sign of any hirundines yet, but sightings have been reported on our ELOC website, so hopefully shouldn’t be too long. πŸ™‚.

Wherenext replied on 08/04/2023 20:29

Posted on 08/04/2023 20:29

Walked by our Swallow farm this afternoon and there was the first one back, sitting on a telephone wire twittering away. Guess he gets first dibs on nesting site, providing Mrs agrees when she arrives.

mickysf replied on 11/04/2023 19:52

Posted on 11/04/2023 19:52

Finally, saw my first swallow of the season. Usually see sand martins first then the house martins! πŸ‘

Although not related to the above, the swifts are the last to the party in my experience.

Bakers2 replied on 11/04/2023 21:42

Posted on 11/04/2023 21:42

Saw my first swifts, 4 together, on Friday morning. Lovely sight. Oak before the Ash here too.

brue replied on 11/04/2023 22:54

Posted on 11/04/2023 22:54

Haven't seen any swallows or housemartins yet, the weather is pretty bad at the moment hope they get through soon. smile

mickysf replied on 12/04/2023 10:07

Posted on 11/04/2023 21:42 by Bakers2

Saw my first swifts, 4 together, on Friday morning. Lovely sight. Oak before the Ash here too.

Posted on 12/04/2023 10:07

Only the ‘odd’ alpine Swift up here. Yes, they remain for some unusual reason. Hope to see ‘ours’ very soon. A bit concerned mind as an old building they frequented in past years has been demolished over winter. Their breeding sites are  reducing although some folk are placing swift boxes on their houses. Unfortunately we can’t!

Bakers2 replied on 12/04/2023 19:06

Posted on 12/04/2023 10:07 by mickysf

Only the β€˜odd’ alpine Swift up here. Yes, they remain for some unusual reason. Hope to see β€˜ours’ very soon. A bit concerned mind as an old building they frequented in past years has been demolished over winter. Their breeding sites are  reducing although some folk are placing swift boxes on their houses. Unfortunately we can’t!

Posted on 12/04/2023 19:06

The ones I saw were over an arable field. Having only been here 12 months I don't know of any nests sites for swifts, swallows or house Martins didn't spot any last year. I don't know the difference between types of swifts! 

I want to see if the red kite nest is occupied again this year. Again I don't know if they return to them. I'm beginning to get used to them as several times a day sightings πŸ˜‰. Although I still automatically look up if they call. Folk I met for the first time must have think me rude, breaking off speaking or gazing upwards 😊.

I'd love to add somewhere for swifts or swallows to nest - won't be this year though. Do you know where I could find boxes? But delighted we have several nests in various hedges jncluding, blackbirds, sparrows, Robin and wren. Not sure where our 75-100 starlings 'live'. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook