What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Bluemalaga replied on 23/04/2023 15:59

Posted on 23/04/2023 15:59

Thought this might be of interest.

I am fairly sure that I read somewhere that Blackbirds and Pigeons could not use garden feeders because of their size and feet/claw shape.

However the block of suet that has now become the favourite choice of nearly all the birds in our garden after years of ignoring them to the point the blocks just went mouldy and had to be binned.

We now have a male and female Pigeon that have learned to cling on to feed. They have been trying for several years (perhaps not the same birds) to master their technique but have recently succeeded.

The male blackbird has also managed to cling on and feed, but the female has failed to achieve success until today. Almost hummingbird like, hovering underneath and feeding from below. 

Oneputt replied on 29/04/2023 22:07

Posted on 29/04/2023 22:07

A day of mixed fortunes.  Saw 4 x Dotterels but too distant to get any decent photos.  The Temminck Stint had done a runner from Titchwell,  The Hoopoe had flown the coop at Beaston Bump.  Did get a lucky shot of a beardie at Titchwell,  saw the bird fly into the reeds so just pointed camera in rough direction and click the button.  Got a fine a pretty good shot, in focus to.  Off to Cley tomorrow to see if we can get the Long Billed Dowitcher 

Takethedogalong replied on 30/04/2023 12:12

Posted on 23/04/2023 15:59 by Bluemalaga

Thought this might be of interest.

I am fairly sure that I read somewhere that Blackbirds and Pigeons could not use garden feeders because of their size and feet/claw shape.

However the block of suet that has now become the favourite choice of nearly all the birds in our garden after years of ignoring them to the point the blocks just went mouldy and had to be binned.

We now have a male and female Pigeon that have learned to cling on to feed. They have been trying for several years (perhaps not the same birds) to master their technique but have recently succeeded.

The male blackbird has also managed to cling on and feed, but the female has failed to achieve success until today. Almost hummingbird like, hovering underneath and feeding from below. 

Posted on 30/04/2023 12:12

Evolution in progress BM😁 We have collared doves, magpies and even Jackdaws that have learnt to use our feeders, and they actually perch as well. Food ends up flying all over🙄 Wood pigeons are just too round, but they are canny. If the feeder swings round, they sit on another feeder and stretch to reach🤣 I will try and get some photos, funny watching Jackdaws, they are almost as long as one of feeders.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/04/2023 12:18

Posted on 30/04/2023 12:18

We are looking forward to revisiting Alkborough, the Flatts never fail to deliver something unusual, last year it was an Otter and a Cuckoo. 

Oneputt replied on 30/04/2023 13:37

Posted on 30/04/2023 13:37

Yes the flats are a favourite off ours, great place to relax and mooch about.

Great shots BM.  We used to have a BB feed off our feeders , used to jump onto the feeder, swing on it then drop to the ground and feed on the pillage. Most of our blackbirds are migrants so only a couple around at the moment.

The long billed Dowitcher has been at Cley for about 7 months and has shown consistently, today it decided it was shy ☺️ 

RedKite replied on 30/04/2023 14:40

Posted on 30/04/2023 14:40

All go in north Norfolk Oneputt.

Had a pair of Woodlarks on our field this morning not seen them for awhile, 2 Nightingales singing this morning.

Good photos BM have had the Greater Spotted Woodpecker managed to get seeds out of our small metal feeder took a few attempts.

Bluemalaga replied on 30/04/2023 15:27

Posted on 30/04/2023 15:27

Thanks for the comments, I am envious of those in Norfolk, OP has whetted my appetite, but long delayed appointments are now catching up so must delay our usual spring trip up the east coast.

I did make a trip up to the Avon Gorge to check on the Peregrines but was disappointed to learn the new pair are struggling to establish a nest site. However, some displaced Jackdaws from the recently closed Bristol Zoo did give an amusing spell. While talking to a fellow birder, we looked around to see a Jackdaw a few feet away poking its head into a rucksack pinching crisps. The owner of the bag explained about the displacement and showed me how the Jackdaw would actually take a crisp from his hand, seemed very partial to cheese and onion, I expect any flavour would have done.

There are a group of 4 Glossy Ibis showing around Chew Valley reservoir ifnanyone is in the region.

Rufs replied on 30/04/2023 16:24

Posted on 30/04/2023 16:24

"The male blackbird has also managed to cling on and feed, but the female has failed to achieve success until today. Almost hummingbird like, hovering underneath and feeding from below. "

yes we have a similar situation in our garden, but today i saw our first blackbird chick, i think we have approx 8 chicks, we have 2 pairs nesting in this pine bush which is unusual because blackbirds are normally very territorial, the bush is very dense so almost impossible to see the nests but at approx 8-10 days the chicks wriggle from the nest and take up perching positions near the perimeter but well camouflaged. At approx 14 days they just launch themselves from about 5ft up and away they go. During this period the parents are very noisy protecting their young, both attacked me when i took this photo, and very busy feeding. Unfortunately this morning a marauding Magpie had one of the chicks that had fallen out for breakfast, it was his last meal yell

RedKite replied on 01/05/2023 09:15

Posted on 01/05/2023 09:15

The Golden Oriole has arrived and singing a bit of a competition at the moment with Nightingales, Blackcap and Garden Warbler all at the same time, good start for 1st of May.

mickysf replied on 01/05/2023 09:55

Posted on 01/05/2023 09:55

Fantastic RedKite.
In my childhood I dreamed of seeing some birds. High on the list was a Golden Oriole another the Resplendent Quetzal.  The latter seen on a fabulous trip to Costa Rica. The other a miss despite visiting a poplar stand the were known to frequent in East Anglia. Lucky you, their song apparently is quiet jungle like!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook