What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Wherenext replied on 21/01/2018 19:20

Posted on 21/01/2018 17:32 by Rob2CathDavies

A week ago we had a drive to David Austin Roses in Shropshire and in the car park there were a flock of bramblings, we had never seen them before.  Another tick in our bird book!

Posted on 21/01/2018 19:20

Nice.

20 years ago we used to have Bramblings coming into the garden in bad weather, now we never see them locally. Lovely birds.

Bluemalaga replied on 22/01/2018 18:40

Posted on 22/01/2018 18:40

Having been house bound for days by high winds followed by lots of rain, a dry day was to good to waste, so took a little trip to check out the male Penduline Tit that has set up in Gloucestershire. Not to difficult to find, just pull up in the car park at Plock Court and look across the field to the reed beds. Much more difficult to spot the bird though, it is right at home in the reeds, accompanied by a male Stonechat.

My first sighting of a Penduline Tit

As I was in no hurry, so I set the cruise control on 55mph and was really surprised to nearly double my normal mpg figure given out by the car's electronics. Shame it doesn't replicate that with the van on the back. 

Bluemalaga replied on 23/01/2018 13:56

Posted on 23/01/2018 13:56

Thanks Brue

Not quite to the plan, first stop was intended to be the Great Grey Shrike, which had been seen about 5 miles from the Penduline location. Unfortunately there was no sign where it might be found. Then the Penduline went awol for over well over an hour just after I found the location. By the time it turned up and came within range, it was to late for my last planned stop at Sharpness dock where the has been a Great Northern Diver present for several weeks.

Never mind, another outing should help.

Wherenext replied on 23/01/2018 18:27

Posted on 23/01/2018 18:27

Lovely photos BM.

One of our greatest thrills when last in Germany was to stand about 5 yards away from a Penduline Tit's nest and watch him work the reed around the opening, then climb inside and start singing, with his head poking out. Mind you the son was extremely feeble and Mrs.P would have to have super hearing or be the same distance as us away. Anyway he gave us a magical moment as we were hoping to just find one, near mind watch him work for his living.

Bluemalaga replied on 24/01/2018 09:32

Posted on 20/01/2018 18:04 by mickysf

I'm envious, I'd love to see one. Missed them a few years ago at Frampton Marsh. Also missed the Swamp Hen at Alkborough although I went in search several times. Some you win! Keep irises wide!👁👁

Posted on 24/01/2018 09:32

Hi Micky

The rare bird alert is showing a possible glossy ibis sighting near Stockton on Tees if that is anywhere near enough for you.

Check for a confirmed sighting and local bird bloggers.

mickysf replied on 25/01/2018 17:17

Posted on 24/01/2018 09:32 by Bluemalaga

Hi Micky

The rare bird alert is showing a possible glossy ibis sighting near Stockton on Tees if that is anywhere near enough for you.

Check for a confirmed sighting and local bird bloggers.

Posted on 25/01/2018 17:17

Thanks BM.👍 Away on tour at moment but will keep an eye out hoping it lingers and gives us the chance to nip up. Sad to hear of the demise of the desert wheatear. Thought to have been predated earlier this week.😥

Bluemalaga replied on 25/01/2018 18:33

Posted on 25/01/2018 17:17 by mickysf

Thanks BM.👍 Away on tour at moment but will keep an eye out hoping it lingers and gives us the chance to nip up. Sad to hear of the demise of the desert wheatear. Thought to have been predated earlier this week.😥

Posted on 25/01/2018 18:33

You are welcome Micky, had not heard about the wheatear.

If you or anyone else are near to the Severn Bridges, it might be worth a visit to the Old Ferry, for those of a certain age, known as Aust Warth these days, Short Eared Owls can be seen hunting for voles just before dusk.

Watched over today by a couple of Jackdaw.

Pliers replied on 25/01/2018 18:37

Posted on 25/01/2018 18:33 by Bluemalaga

You are welcome Micky, had not heard about the wheatear.

If you or anyone else are near to the Severn Bridges, it might be worth a visit to the Old Ferry, for those of a certain age, known as Aust Warth these days, Short Eared Owls can be seen hunting for voles just before dusk.

Watched over today by a couple of Jackdaw.

Posted on 25/01/2018 18:37

Wonderful photos!

We used to see short eared owls quite regularly on our local moors, but not this winter, not so far, anyway.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook