What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Pliers replied on 25/01/2018 18:40

Posted on 22/01/2018 18:40 by Bluemalaga

Having been house bound for days by high winds followed by lots of rain, a dry day was to good to waste, so took a little trip to check out the male Penduline Tit that has set up in Gloucestershire. Not to difficult to find, just pull up in the car park at Plock Court and look across the field to the reed beds. Much more difficult to spot the bird though, it is right at home in the reeds, accompanied by a male Stonechat.

My first sighting of a Penduline Tit

As I was in no hurry, so I set the cruise control on 55mph and was really surprised to nearly double my normal mpg figure given out by the car's electronics. Shame it doesn't replicate that with the van on the back. 

Posted on 25/01/2018 18:40

More wonderful photos!

Never seen penduline tit, so very, very envious.

Pliers replied on 25/01/2018 18:43

Posted on 22/01/2018 18:40 by Bluemalaga

Having been house bound for days by high winds followed by lots of rain, a dry day was to good to waste, so took a little trip to check out the male Penduline Tit that has set up in Gloucestershire. Not to difficult to find, just pull up in the car park at Plock Court and look across the field to the reed beds. Much more difficult to spot the bird though, it is right at home in the reeds, accompanied by a male Stonechat.

My first sighting of a Penduline Tit

As I was in no hurry, so I set the cruise control on 55mph and was really surprised to nearly double my normal mpg figure given out by the car's electronics. Shame it doesn't replicate that with the van on the back. 

Posted on 25/01/2018 18:43

Duplicate post.....sorry 😱

Bluemalaga replied on 25/01/2018 20:36

Posted on 25/01/2018 20:36

Thanks Pliers.

It's been a very rewarding week. The Pendulines and SEO's have had many visitors in the last couple of weeks. Very interested to see on the Scotish wildlife show this week that the Ptarmigan and Mountain Hares actually seek out areas to share with humans to deter the Eagles. Not sure it applies to the Owls.

Wherenext replied on 26/01/2018 19:44

Posted on 26/01/2018 19:44

Lovely afternoon down on Ham Street Nature Reserve, seeing Ferruginous Duck and a Scaup along with plenty of over-wintering wildfowl, many of them paired off or trying to be. A lesser Redpoll was also a bonus.

Highlight of the day was undoubtedly the evening Mumuration of the thousands and thousands of Starlings as they came into roost, a splendid sight and a tick off my bucket list.

ValDa replied on 26/01/2018 23:45

Posted on 26/01/2018 23:45

Today at Leighton Moss - a Marsh Harrier, an otter (swimming and on land), two Greater White Egrets, marsh and willow tits, ducks, ducks, ducks, cormorants and ducks, plus the most fantastic murmuration of starlings (horizon to horizon filled with birds, swooping, looping, filtering off, regrouping) - just awesome, moving, and nearly brought me to tears!  Even better was that they'd all landed in the reed beds to the side of the causeway on our way back to the way out, and were fluttering in the reeds, giving rise to the most amazing chattering and 'hummmmmmmmmmmm' of wings plus the smell (of birds)!

Bluemalaga replied on 28/01/2018 09:44

Posted on 28/01/2018 09:44

Nice shot OP

Is this a female or male. I have not seen a female yet, the one that visits our garden is a lighning fast male that swoops through in a split second. It has only landed twice when I have been home.

Oneputt replied on 28/01/2018 10:04

Posted on 28/01/2018 10:04

This is female and she shot across the garden chasing Starlings before returning 15 minutes later and landing in the tree.  We see her from time to time but only the second time she's landed in the garden

Bluemalaga replied on 28/01/2018 10:39

Posted on 28/01/2018 10:39

Must be an impressive bird then OP.

We have a violent power struggle at the end of our neighbours garden today. The magpies that have nested for the last 4 years are being challenged by a pair of carrion crow for the nest. Looks like the crows are getting the upper hand, one is on patrol fending off the defending magpies while the other is re-arranging the nest.

There is usually a daily battle between these species as there are 8 pairs of magpies nesting around us and any number of crows show up whenever there is any conflict. Makes for an interesting interlude on a murky day.

Update   -   Magpies now back in control.

brue replied on 28/01/2018 16:22

Posted on 28/01/2018 16:22

We've been out for lunch at Abbotsbury Sub tropical Gardens in Dorset today. Due to some improvement works to the shop area we paid a nicely reduced £5 entrance fee for two (using our Gardeners World card. ) There is always something to see in the gardens. My phone photos can vary on CT but here goes. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook