What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Oneputt replied on 10/12/2017 21:20

Posted on 10/12/2017 21:20

Thanks Pliers seems to be lots of Hawfinches around the country this year.  We saw 4 at Lynford Arboretum a couple of weeks ago. Hope you get to see some.

Good day yesterday went to Wareham Greens which is about 2 miles south of Wells next Sea.  As I drove into the track a badger scuttled across in front of me.  Parked the car and started to walk and within half a mile saw buzzard, kestrel, red kite, hen harrier, approx 75 to 100 Field Fare/redwings and a short eared owl.  Never been down this track before and only went cos I read it’s a roosting area for Raptors.  On Friday there were 4 Hen Harriers reported, in previous years there have been up to 10.

Bluemalaga replied on 12/12/2017 16:04

Posted on 12/12/2017 16:04

Today looked like it was going to be a bit dismal, as I would have to stay home waiting for a delivery.

Spent the morning knocking up a bird table to attract species that don't use hanging feeders. Then cleaned all the hanging feeders and refilled.

This afternoon I got my reward, the first bird on the table was a robin who then spent 30 minutes or so chasing away anything that came near. Once he had given in, the stream of birds was fairly constant. Coal tit was next to try out the table and to date they were the only taker. However the feeders and ground feed I put around brought me Goldfinch, Greenfinch,Bluetit, Great tit,Thrush, Blackbird, Wren, Dunnock, Wood Pigeon and Collared Dove, Crows, Magpies  Sparrows by the dozen and to top it off, we now have about twenty Redwings just turned up and sat in our trees.

What a great day for a delivery.

Bit dark for a pic but grabbed one through the window.

Wherenext replied on 12/12/2017 20:33

Posted on 12/12/2017 20:33

Nice one BM.

On the way to Wells-next-the-Sea today from Blakeney a male Hen Harrier floated across the road in front of us and a female Marsh Harrier on the return trip some 5 hours later!

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2017 07:35

Posted on 13/12/2017 07:35

The place to see hen harriers in Norfolk is just south of Wells at a place called Wareham Greens. Lots of Raptors roost their, last Friday there were 4 hen harries amongst other raptors.  If you need directions let me know

Bluemalaga replied on 13/12/2017 10:09

Posted on 13/12/2017 07:35 by Oneputt

The place to see hen harriers in Norfolk is just south of Wells at a place called Wareham Greens. Lots of Raptors roost their, last Friday there were 4 hen harries amongst other raptors.  If you need directions let me know

Posted on 13/12/2017 10:09

Hi OP

We will be heading over that way come the spring/early summer, so will keep this in mind. Just checked Wareham Greens on google which seems to suggest that the Hen Harriers are mainly in winter, is this correct?

Are you still thinking of visiting Gwash Farm next year? 

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2017 10:26

Posted on 13/12/2017 10:26

Only visited the once (last weekend) so don’t really know.  Never the less there was a lot about on the track and on the marshy foreshore. 

Wherenext replied on 13/12/2017 16:38

Posted on 13/12/2017 16:38

Wareham Green does tend to be best as a wintering roost, BM. Good in the last hour of daylight.

Had a nice walk from Blakeney to Cley, seeing a lovely Barn Owl a couple of Marsh Harriers and plenty of Brent Geese.

Edit - BM if you happen to be anywhere near the Wirral then you'll see overwintering Hen Harriers on the River Dee. Best area is from Burton (near the Harp pub) to Parkgate, best when there's a good tide. Also great chance of seeing Short Eared Owls.

Bluemalaga replied on 13/12/2017 17:24

Posted on 13/12/2017 16:38 by Wherenext

Wareham Green does tend to be best as a wintering roost, BM. Good in the last hour of daylight.

Had a nice walk from Blakeney to Cley, seeing a lovely Barn Owl a couple of Marsh Harriers and plenty of Brent Geese.

Edit - BM if you happen to be anywhere near the Wirral then you'll see overwintering Hen Harriers on the River Dee. Best area is from Burton (near the Harp pub) to Parkgate, best when there's a good tide. Also great chance of seeing Short Eared Owls.

Posted on 13/12/2017 17:24

According to a Norfolk bird site, January at Warham appears to be best WN. Unfortunately the Wirrel is a fair way off from Avon.

Might have to get the cover off the van, or maybe a hotel break.

Bakers2 replied on 13/12/2017 17:29

Posted on 13/12/2017 17:29

Watched a grey squirrel chase both our blackbirds off any bird food this morning 😲😲. Waited till the squirrel had cleared off and put out more food for the blackbirds and had 4 come and eat it as a reward 😆

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook