RWC 2019

Extugger replied on 28/09/2019 10:56

Posted on 28/09/2019 10:56

The Real World Cup is already into its second week and some enthralling, thrilling rugby has been displayed.

A couple of upsets already, namely Fiji's loss, but none more so than the host nation's win against Ireland! What a win, what a game, what a performance! Fantastic rugby 

mickysf replied on 09/10/2019 04:24

Posted on 08/10/2019 22:36 by Rocky 2 buckets

No obsession,Russia-they’re a pariah state, the others are not. Given the will any country can do a Japan, that is grow to become a force to be reckoned with👍🏻

Posted on 09/10/2019 04:24

That's what I'm saying.  More commitment, much more in my view is needed from the 'top ten'! That 'will' must also come from them. The once every four years is clearly not enough for those in the lower tiers. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 09/10/2019 08:13

Posted on 09/10/2019 04:24 by mickysf

That's what I'm saying.  More commitment, much more in my view is needed from the 'top ten'! That 'will' must also come from them. The once every four years is clearly not enough for those in the lower tiers. 

Posted on 09/10/2019 08:13

MSF, how on Earth can it be a problem with the ‘top ten’, it isn’t everyone else’s responsibility?🤷🏻‍♂️. Each Country needs to decide if their commitment to a World class team is what they want. Italy & Japan have come on in leaps & bounds over time, it’s no one’s responsibility but their own.

mickysf replied on 09/10/2019 12:45

Posted on 09/10/2019 08:13 by Rocky 2 buckets

MSF, how on Earth can it be a problem with the ‘top ten’, it isn’t everyone else’s responsibility?🤷🏻‍♂️. Each Country needs to decide if their commitment to a World class team is what they want. Italy & Japan have come on in leaps & bounds over time, it’s no one’s responsibility but their own.

Posted on 09/10/2019 12:45

Simple, each 'home' union approach others and deciding which countries to play friendlies against, some commitment as suggested could help. A similar thing happened in the years prior to Italy joining the then 5 nations. Where their is a will I'm sure!

Also, the IRB could help by backing a call for the top tier to play at least one or more developing nation per season

Extugger replied on 10/10/2019 10:03

Posted on 10/10/2019 10:03

An impending typhoon could put a halt to Scotlands' progress into the quarter finals. Typhoon 'Haggis' as some will call it, has already accounted for England vs France and could well interfere with Ireland's game (but not them moving forward) and the Tifosi will rue the opportunity of a run out against the Blacks and their improbable advancement.

With a week until the scheduled quarters, surely a rearranged fixture is better than a cancelled game, albeit the 'resting' period in between could favour the opposition? (The French will have had a 2 week rest as opposed to Wales' one)

Do they not have contingency strategies in Japan? 

mickysf replied on 12/10/2019 12:51

Posted on 10/10/2019 10:03 by Extugger

An impending typhoon could put a halt to Scotlands' progress into the quarter finals. Typhoon 'Haggis' as some will call it, has already accounted for England vs France and could well interfere with Ireland's game (but not them moving forward) and the Tifosi will rue the opportunity of a run out against the Blacks and their improbable advancement.

With a week until the scheduled quarters, surely a rearranged fixture is better than a cancelled game, albeit the 'resting' period in between could favour the opposition? (The French will have had a 2 week rest as opposed to Wales' one)

Do they not have contingency strategies in Japan? 

Posted on 12/10/2019 12:51

When considering the infrequency of these super typhoons and magnitude of this one I guess all the right decisions regarding health and safety are currently being made. Totally understandable, very disappointing at the same time. Lots of natives will be effected adversely and my hopes and prayers go out to these folk, families, friends and of course to those visitors to these shores for what ever reason they are visiting the stricken areas of Japan.

Takethedogalong replied on 12/10/2019 14:55

Posted on 12/10/2019 14:55

I wonder if the same fool who decided Japan in the Typhoon Season is good, is the same fool who decided Qatar would be a good World Cup venue? Some very dodgy decisions being made about some very big events........

Extugger replied on 12/10/2019 15:55

Posted on 12/10/2019 12:51 by mickysf

When considering the infrequency of these super typhoons and magnitude of this one I guess all the right decisions regarding health and safety are currently being made. Totally understandable, very disappointing at the same time. Lots of natives will be effected adversely and my hopes and prayers go out to these folk, families, friends and of course to those visitors to these shores for what ever reason they are visiting the stricken areas of Japan.

Posted on 12/10/2019 15:55

Micky, if you knew there was a 'season' for inclement weather ie tornados, typhoons, hurricanes et al, which may have adverse effects on a tournament, surely you would reconsider the venue, or at least have contingency plans, should the worst happen? 

As TTDA said above, some decisions on venues beggar belief, given the extremes players are expected to perform in. No doubt  we'll see a Test Match in Antarctica next 😀

moulesy replied on 12/10/2019 16:14

Posted on 12/10/2019 16:14

I do think it's a delicate balancing act for the organisers. It's good that they are spreading interest in the game by taking the tournament to Japan and it must help the developing rugby nations maintain interest. In normal circumstances the decision wouldn't have been questioned and one has to remember that this is an extreme weather event - the worst to hit the country in 80 years according to news reports.

But things must be kept in perspective and my thoughts are with the Japanese people who have suffered so much in recent years and again are facing some disastrous consequences.

Any talk of "legal action" to get games played must be judged against that - it will be unfortunate for Scotland if their game against Japan is called off resulting in them being knocked out of the tournament,  but let's keep a bit of dignity - it is,  after all, just a game. 

mickysf replied on 12/10/2019 16:32

Posted on 12/10/2019 16:32

Hate to say it but the top countries 'dictate' the timing of the RWC playing window to fit and suit their own domestic and traditional touring seasons.  Having said that I'm sure a risk assessment was made as to the chances of such an extreme weather event happening during the tournament in Japan, a rugby development Nation. Unfortunately the gods were not with them this time. 

Even in the UK this summer the Cricket World Cup had games cancelled with similar consequences for some participating countries for extremely mild weather conditions in comparison! 

If this typhoon hadn't  happened, and the odds were low we are told, we would not be questioning the organisers I'm sure or calling them stupid!

Extugger replied on 12/10/2019 16:57

Posted on 12/10/2019 16:57

Great points and contributions from all above.

Thankfully, as I write this, there's only been one fatality (which is one too many) compared to many thousands in previous years. It is, after all, only a game and if the referee blows his whistle and makes his decision, in time honoured tradition, we wouldn't question it. Therefore we should continue to uphold the decisions of the organisers, no matter what.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook