RWC 2019

Extugger replied on 28/09/2019 10:56

Posted on 28/09/2019 10:56

The Real World Cup is already into its second week and some enthralling, thrilling rugby has been displayed.

A couple of upsets already, namely Fiji's loss, but none more so than the host nation's win against Ireland! What a win, what a game, what a performance! Fantastic rugby 

mickysf replied on 03/10/2019 18:18

Posted on 03/10/2019 17:08 by Extugger

Great sentiments and wise words from Rocky and Micky above.

Just wondering if you've any thoughts on scrummaging? Do you think the current laws/rules make the scrum any safer? What do you think about the amount of time wasted at today's scrums? How could it be improved? I've just watched a re-run of THAT game in 1973 when THAT try was scored by Gareth Edwards - the scrums took about 15 seconds!!

Posted on 03/10/2019 18:18

Don't know, never really understood the intricacies of the dark arts! I just chucked the ball between 16 men and was lucky if I got it straight. Today my counterparts seem to feed it into the 2nd row!!

Seriously, yes I think it is a little safer given that we now have huge purpose built athletes on the hoof. Can you imagine allowing them to crunch together, wheel everywhere and drive over as we used to see. 

And then there was the flying wedge, remember that?

Extugger replied on 03/10/2019 20:08

Posted on 03/10/2019 20:08

Back then it was so simple (or at least it seemed so!) The front rows simply locked together, the second rows joined along with flankers and finally no 8. You were not allowed to shove until the ball came in and was 'hooked' by the number 2 (hopefully Nellie will be joining this conversation!) I don't recall anyone actually getting injured during the scrum and can't for the life of me remember why it was changed? 'Ready, ready, NOW!' Is all I recall?

I do know the ball is now flung into the feet of the second row, so no longer any need for a hooker! Perhaps the answer is to put the ball in straight again??

Extugger replied on 03/10/2019 20:19

Posted on 03/10/2019 20:19

And the flying wedge? Yes! It was dangerous and outlawed in the eighties as I recall? Some might say It was just a take on today's rolling maul?

mickysf replied on 04/10/2019 05:50

Posted on 03/10/2019 20:19 by Extugger

And the flying wedge? Yes! It was dangerous and outlawed in the eighties as I recall? Some might say It was just a take on today's rolling maul?

Posted on 04/10/2019 05:50

It was, on all counts. Difference was it did not require a member of the opposition to be involved at 'take off'' and was often initiated at penalties.undecided

I thought the Russians showed tenacity and kept going to the end. Given the exposure to matches against the top tier teams on a more regular basis it is only a matter of time before we have more shocks like the Japanese are providing me thinks.

Extugger replied on 05/10/2019 06:28

Posted on 05/10/2019 06:28

Agree about the Russians, the only surprise with them is why has it taken them so long to get where they are? 

Talking about the dangers of rugby, the Italians decided to show the world probably the single most dangerous tactic in sport - the spear tackle. How dumb!!  For me, poor refereeing because both players should have been red carded!

mickysf replied on 05/10/2019 07:14

Posted on 05/10/2019 07:14

I think the issue for the 2nd tier teams is that they are largely ignored by the 1st tier teams save every 4 years when they are thrown in the mix at a World Cup. I think it is time for the 1st tier teams to make a greater commitment to them and play them more regularly every season. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 05/10/2019 08:06

Posted on 05/10/2019 07:14 by mickysf

I think the issue for the 2nd tier teams is that they are largely ignored by the 1st tier teams save every 4 years when they are thrown in the mix at a World Cup. I think it is time for the 1st tier teams to make a greater commitment to them and play them more regularly every season. 

Posted on 05/10/2019 08:06

Politics on some levels, the Russians are to a large extent Pariahs in most things due to their unsavoury habits & attitude to other Countrys. I struggle to think of a top class coach willing to commit to a Country that is totally unpredictable & makes up the rules as it goes along. Even more so for any Country willing to travel to Russia to play🤷🏻‍♂️☹️. Isolation shows in their fitness & tactical regime.

Extugger replied on 05/10/2019 17:53

Posted on 05/10/2019 17:53

They've also been known to swallow a few performance enchancing tablets, get dope tested, found guilty and then totally deny it!

On second thoughts (and as Rocky has already pointed out) perhaps it's a good thing Russia are where they are. I find it difficult to believe they would ever embrace the morals of this great game 

mickysf replied on 08/10/2019 20:55

Posted on 08/10/2019 20:55

What's the obsession with Russia? There are other 2nd tier countries worthy of support! Canada were a little disappointing today mind although aspects of their game were worthy of inclusion in this tournament. The old established ones just need in recognise their role in the global growth of the best game 'on't urf'!wink🏉

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 08/10/2019 22:36

Posted on 08/10/2019 20:55 by mickysf

What's the obsession with Russia? There are other 2nd tier countries worthy of support! Canada were a little disappointing today mind although aspects of their game were worthy of inclusion in this tournament. The old established ones just need in recognise their role in the global growth of the best game 'on't urf'!wink🏉

Posted on 08/10/2019 22:36

No obsession,Russia-they’re a pariah state, the others are not. Given the will any country can do a Japan, that is grow to become a force to be reckoned with👍🏻

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook