What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

milliehull replied on 25/08/2024 22:15

Posted on 25/08/2024 22:15

It teemed with rain all day yesterday but the garden was grateful. Today has been dry but distinctly chilly with a strong breeze. It started off sunny and bright but very  grey this afternoon. We got some useful gardening done though.

Sorry to hear about the problems with teeth. Hope you manage to get them sorted after the bank holiday.

Takethedogalong replied on 25/08/2024 22:37

Posted on 25/08/2024 22:37

Hope you both get the teeth sorted. I have a check up booked for September, and know I have a couple of nigglers that will need sorting☹️

Rufs replied on 26/08/2024 08:10

Posted on 24/08/2024 10:13 by Oneputt

Ruffs,

Son just told me that a chap named David N turned up at the cricket club and he had also been at HMS Mercury.  Was it by chance you or maybe an old comrade

Posted on 26/08/2024 08:10

Not me Chief, was in EG at daughters place and also called into town centre to see just how the club spend our subscriptions laughing

Goldie146 replied on 26/08/2024 09:41

Posted on 26/08/2024 09:41

It's mainly been wet and windy here, so we picked some apples before they fell off. Now processed (wonderful gadget) and 12 kg (net) bagged up in the freezer for winter puddings

RedKite replied on 26/08/2024 11:24

Posted on 26/08/2024 11:24

I have got a newer one than yours Goldie but works just as well and those apples looked great just wish I could get proper cooking apples here as we had a large Bramley apple tree in Somerset and I used to freeze them for winter puddings, although I do some eating apples here if cheap enough.

The bbq that was advertised on a local website was sold this am and that was the last thing to go so more space in my shed hooray.

Getting a bit warmer this week but still cool at the moment and it got down to 6.7C this morning brr Autumn is on its way.

vbfg replied on 26/08/2024 12:26

Posted on 26/08/2024 08:10 by Rufs

Not me Chief, was in EG at daughters place and also called into town centre to see just how the club spend our subscriptions laughing

Posted on 26/08/2024 12:26

I was surprised to see on the Sky Sports Racing Channel, that the Club sponsor a number of horse races at Uttoxeter, which I assume must cost quite a bit.  

vbfg replied on 26/08/2024 12:37

Posted on 24/08/2024 13:41 by Takethedogalong

We carry two electric bikes on our MH, expensive ones, so we invested in some serious bike locks. We use three locks to bolt the bikes onto the MH frame when travelling and if stored overnight on a site. We have two chain type locks and a U shaped one that goes through both frames to lock the bikes together. we use two personal attack alarms threaded through as well overnight, fine line is hard to spot, but would give a sneak thief a bit of a surprise. Thankfully never had any issues travelling around.

We always take at least one chain with us, unless we know we aren’t going to leave them anywhere when out for a ride. We seldom leave them without one of us keeping an eye on things. 

At home, the two bikes we keep in garage (alarmed) are shackled to a concreted in motorbike post, and shackled with motorbike quality locks. There are another six bikes (I kid you not🤣) up in bedrooms and attic, 

Keep an eye out in terms of site reviews around know bike theft hotspots. Clumber Park is notorious, the Club have invested in some good secure lock up facilities, and we always use them, but you do need to take your own securing chains and locks. Ferry meadows is another know cycle theft hotspot. On CLs, we usually have a word with owners, and if needed, most owners are very good about putting bikes away if you go out for day.

Dont forget to add your bike to House insurance, take some photos, and keep all receipts. We have lots of add ons to our bikes, special pedals, special seats, computers, etc….. so remove anything small if you leave your bike anywhere. Keep these receipts as well. Pedalsure is a good company.

Posted on 26/08/2024 12:37

Thanks for all of that information TDA, as a lot of it would not have occurred to me as my previous bike was not as likley to have been stolen.  I bought the bike as it folds up quite small and seems to be one of the lightest electric bikes on the market (as far as I am aware), which will enable me to keep it folded up, inside the van, when not in use. I need to use a gold D lock to cover me on the insurance policy, but will remember to include it on my house insurance as well.

DEBSC replied on 26/08/2024 12:57

Posted on 26/08/2024 12:57

Goldie I also have one of those, just a little newer, use it every year as our old cooker apple tree, we planted it 40 years ago, gives us a huge crop each year, plenty to see us through all winter with many puds. Not this year however, slim pickings this year to start with, maybe it’s having a rest year, which it well deserves, then the squirrels got to it! Bloody things, they pull them off, take one bite then drop them to the ground. They picked the very last one yesterday. I’m getting good with the mega water pistol but I can’t be on watch all of the time. They run but are back again within a few minutes. Lots of them this year, and I’ve never known them to take the apples before. Goldie just to say I do love your dresser in the background of your photo.

Takethedogalong replied on 26/08/2024 13:36

Posted on 26/08/2024 13:36

We have a glut of apples here, cookers on our tree, Braeburn on Mums. Love the gadget. We try and use our apples in different ways, I love baked apples, cored, half peeled, stuffed with dried fruit and a good glug of spirits. Have to lay off the cream though. Crumbles, pies, simple cooked on hob…..all yummy😋

Lots of raspberries as well, but no plums or pears☹️

Wherenext replied on 26/08/2024 14:57

Posted on 26/08/2024 14:57

but will remember to include it on my house insurance as well.

VFBG - Hope your home insurance isn't with any of the subsidiaries of Lloyds Banking Group. We had 2 expensive bikes and Thule carrier covered with Halifax a few years ago. After 3 years they suddenly realised they shouldn't be covering them at all and cancelled the cover straightaway, refunding that portion of premium to me plus an amount for inconvenience. They couldn't get it into their head that the car insurers only picked up Public Liability cover providing bikes were on the bike carrier at time of any accident. They told me the car insurers should pick up the damage to the bike, whilst on the car which of course was absolute rubbish. Motor insurers wouldn't be picking up the damage to a caravan in a road accident, same principle. Motor insurers agreed with my assessment. Anyway I found an alternative quite easily and Halifax agreed to cancel my home insurance on a pro-rata basis.

Make sure you get the insurers to admit that the Motorhome is counted as a fixed item as they often have a condition that the bikes are secured to a fixed object when not being used or in a securely locked building (check they also cover in garages, most won't cover sheds).

Enjoy your new bike.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook