What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Takethedogalong replied on 02/07/2024 18:10

Posted on 02/07/2024 18:10

I can empathise DEBSC, the last sofas we bought, we actually chopped/dismantled the old ones in situ. They were leather, so I stripped this off, then did each layer, cut all the wood. Made a bit of a mess, but easier than trying to get them out. The place we bought replacements from were fantastic. They came out and did a recon, made sure what we wanted could be got in, and then we left them to it. 

HelenandTrevor replied on 02/07/2024 20:28

Posted on 02/07/2024 20:28

We went underground today, at Ingleborough Caves, even Polly was allowed in, although she wasn't keen on being dripped on. 😅

Lovely walk up along the nature trail, and it didn't rain so a bonus. There was a little shop in Clapham selling items made from local wool, but at £300 for a jumper it was out of my league. 😯 Had a walk along the river Lune on the way back. 

Goldie, we did walk past the he Midland Hotel but even that was looking a bit sad in the rain.

Nellie, we are staying on a small commercial site near Carnforth, not a bad little site and they do 7 nights for the price of 6 so reasonable too. We have views over to the fells and Morecambe Bay, you can just about make out Blackpool Tower from the top of the field . Trevor even managed a hazy photograph with his camera. 

DEBSC hope you are able to get the sofas in and out, I have memories of having to cut a large bed frame in half to get it downstairs. 

nelliethehooker replied on 02/07/2024 22:07

Posted on 02/07/2024 22:07

Spot on David. OH saw them on a map and I walked up from the site to see exactly where they were. I was impressed with the size of the one adjacent to the road.

Thanks Helen, but I doubt that we will want to stay 7 nights there, that close to home. Like your photos of the stalagtite formations.

We visited Staveley Lakes Nature Reserve today not far from the site and had a good walk right around it. Lots of wildlife and, in particular, flowers especially the Orchids. This afternoon I walked round to the local church where there is an interesting memorial to the Andrew Lawson, who donated the land on which the chuch was built. The site has one of the very best dog walk of any club site, within its grounds, we have been on and during this morning's early walk we nearly stumbled into a young Roe Deer who stood by the path and watched our approach before it sauntered into the bushes.

Takethedogalong replied on 02/07/2024 22:44

Posted on 02/07/2024 22:44

Two interesting trips, Nellie and H&T👍

Just had an email thru saying we have got 2 free tickets to a big indie rock concert that’s happening locally this weekend🤩 We were looking to go, but tickets very expensive, so we didn’t bother ordering, as we can sit in our garden and listen to music, park is only 200 metres away. But organisers have run a ballot for local residents, who are going to have roads closed around them, and we have been lucky, along with our next door but one friends. 🤩👏👏 

DSB replied on 02/07/2024 23:21

Posted on 01/07/2024 20:38 by milliehull

I agree about Specsavers WN. It really hurts my eyes the print is so small. I got so fed up I stopped checking for any typos I might have made.

Posted on 02/07/2024 23:21

I have enough trouble with typos at the best of times, let alone when the font is so small...

David

Goldie146 replied on 03/07/2024 09:04

Posted on 03/07/2024 09:04

re buying new sofas - 

In 2014 we did something we had never done before - bought a new settee (two actually). Since we married in 1970 we had had hand-me-downs from my mother, or second hand ones from the local Auction or bargains from Misc. Sales in the local paper. But my husband had started to complain about the big squishy one we had, so I started looking around. Ebay came to my rescue, particularly the Ercol Outlet page. And after a little bit of discussion I clicked and bought two Ercol  Renaissance settees. But first of course I measured the doorway, and the old settee which we had carried out.
But on the day of the delivery things went a bit awry. The settees came in through the front door into the hall, but no further. The sitting room door is in a very (2ft) deep frame and the solid frames would not go round the corner. So we left then in the hall till we came up with a plan.
The sitting room has a window both ends, so instead of just taking a window out, we had our builder knock it out and create a new door onto the patio. The best thing we ever did.
A couple of weeks of dust and disruption and the settees were carried triumphantly into their rightful place.

DavidKlyne replied on 03/07/2024 09:25

Posted on 03/07/2024 09:25

One of my son's lives in a three storey town house and the lounge is on the first floor. He ordered quite a large settee and it was touch and go whether they could get it up the stairs. They did manage in the end but there was much pushing and shoving! We have solved access into our house by converting the original single door and window pane into French Windows, this goes into the conservatory which also has French Windows so something would have to be pretty big not to go in! We have, in the past, had more problems getting things upstairs as its quite a tight turn from the front door to the stairs. 

David

Takethedogalong replied on 03/07/2024 10:17

Posted on 03/07/2024 10:17

Interesting solutions! Our is an old house, not as old as yours Goldie, so there’s usually an issue. We have a proper attic staircase, and this doesn’t give the huge void that you get without, so it’s tight for anything big in one piece up the stairs. On the upside, it’s easier to decorate😁 Those same sofa delivery men happily moved us a nice big chair from downstairs upstairs, we certainly couldn’t have done it. 

Part of our swimming pool has just arrived. It’s raining outside🤣 

RedKite replied on 03/07/2024 10:49

Posted on 03/07/2024 10:49

Our last sofa would come through front door but the next door into hall very narrow so it had to go through the lounge window with both windows open not sure how we will get it out ourselves but awhile to go for that I hope, friends of ours have had new aluminium doors fitted this year and as the old ones were wood and a lot of doors they had very large new doors with a glass panel on the side again ready if they move they can get all furniture out and in they have a lot of doors 6 in total and we only have 1 front door just wish the previous owner who built it did put in a french door in the lounge but took it out again as we saw the photos such shame and replaced it with a window and that would be too much hassle to do now heyho.

Will be able to fill your pool soon with the rain Ttda ha ha.

DEBSC replied on 03/07/2024 16:00

Posted on 03/07/2024 16:00

Early morning cars moved off the drive to make room for delivery lorry, but the driver still decided to park in the road, luckily garden bin men had already collected. They looked at large old sofa, ‘does it come to bits?’ No. ‘Then we’ll take it out the patio doors and round’. It was then that we explained there was a large full water barrel and a trailer with no wheels on along the side entrance and it would have to be lifted over both. So they used OHs screwdriver and took the arms off and out it went! The two new sofas came in in bits. They put the small one together, they put it exactly where it is to go as very heavy once together, all fine. Then we heard phone calls to the warehouse being made - seems the manufacturer had sent two left backs to the larger sofa, boxed together. So all the parts sitting in the living room. They took it out again and brought our old small sofa back in. I did feel rather sorry for them as not the delivery guys fault and they still had lots of drops to do. They said the shop will phone us. It’s an old local shop so we hope finger crossed that it will be fine but not sure how long the wait will be, then we can do it all again. OH like a kid with a new toy on the new recliner, he’s finally moved so I quickly put a throw on it 😊.

Just before the delivery men arrived we heard a large bang, young woodpecker had flown straight at the dining room window. Laid on the grass, stunned. We left it for a while but then took a box out to put him in while he recovered, as soon as we put the box down he flew off, so thank goodness he was ok. Two years ago the same thing happened with a young wood pecker, good job they have strong necks. I’ve put the washing line up now so that birds can’t get up much speed to go into it.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook