What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

moulesy replied on 06/05/2024 18:10

Posted on 06/05/2024 16:36 by Wherenext

Good to hear all of the news from travellers out and about. Congrats on your total collected Moulesy.

We spent a good deal of yesterday in and around the garden/s. Cleared a lot of moss off the flags before power washing them, (and me 😅). OH, on weeding duty,  complained about amount of water finding its way into the borders but couldn't be helped. Did some spraying for weeds and ants. Wish the ants would keep to the soil rather than coming into the house.

Up early this morning as I slept well. Not a sole at McDs takeaway window as I passed just gone 8 a.m. Quite amazing. Tesco's very quiet at that time as well.

Lovely sunny afternoon. Just got back from a walk. Hopefully those thunderstorms will stay away.

Hope most of you are getting some decent weather.

Posted on 06/05/2024 18:10

Woke up to another glorious sunny morning, warm enough for an alfresco breakfast,  though it clouded over by lunchtime and we had a few showers this afternoon. 

In case I've given the impression that the only place of interest in the village is the pub, there is also a small congregational Chapel, built in 1844 by the villagers after the arrival of a new and unpopular vicar, and the original village stocks.

And, of course, there are the views - the last one is directly outside our cottage.

Francis replied on 06/05/2024 18:26

Posted on 06/05/2024 18:26

Been a good day here today I went out a nice 15 mile cycle this morning along a very nice route all traffic free directly from the site  After a quick lunch we took a drive to the coast to visit Seaton Carew not really much there but it was nice for a walk along the shore front lots of people out enjoying the nice weather. Took the scenic route back to the site and now cooking some chicken on the Cadac not a bad evening so we are sitting out in the awning. Not much planned tonight just watch the snooker final but with the score as it is I doubt it will be on long tonight 

DSB replied on 06/05/2024 18:42

Posted on 06/05/2024 18:42

We're still at Conkers C&CC site.  Another lovely day, but a few spots of rain, around 5.30pm, has meant I've kept the lid on the Cadac this evening, and we've cooked and ate in the 'van.  It's gone a little cooler too, still with the occasional spot of rain.  The weather has been brilliant this weekend though, so not complaining.  Site has empied quite a lot now, but we (and most of our friends) are here until Wednesday.

David

milliehull replied on 06/05/2024 20:14

Posted on 06/05/2024 20:14

Good to read everyone's news and to hear that those out and about are having a good time. Your setter walk sounds a great success moulesy and the views from your cottage are wonderful. Pleased to hear that your MIL is making steady progress WN and that you and your OH are able to go out for and hour or two occasionally. She certainly sounds a plucky lady.

We havent done anything of note this week. OH got his new glasses from Specsavers and my goodness the footfall in town has decreased since M&S closed their city centre store last week. It was very quiet. We then went to the Boots store in an out of town shopping centre for our covid jabs ( the Boots in town werent doing them for some rea⁰son) and it was busy there. Could it have anything to do with the fact that parking is free there I wonder 🤔. We have had a very pleasant weekend. I did a guided tour of the Cathedral on Saturday morning (despite the reasonably mild weather it was still  cold in there!) and the rest of the weekend we have spent in the garden either working or sitting and enjoying it which has been wonderful after all the dreadful weather during the past months. Hope everyone else has had a good weekend.

nelliethehooker replied on 06/05/2024 20:39

Posted on 06/05/2024 20:39

Looks like a good day out, tda, Thoresby Hall is not a place we have visited, so made a note of it for a future investigation.

I think you have the pick of the weather this weekend, Moulesy, reading others posts.

Things seem to be progressing nicely with your MIL, WN, which is good to read. 

Today started off a little damp and cloudy, but we were able to get packed up in the dry and had an easy drive up to our next site, the C&CC's one at Nairn. The site manager said that they had been quite busy, but not full, over the weekend, but now it is quiet with less than 20 units pitched up, just the way we like it.laughing

KjellNN replied on 06/05/2024 21:01

Posted on 06/05/2024 20:14 by milliehull

Good to read everyone's news and to hear that those out and about are having a good time. Your setter walk sounds a great success moulesy and the views from your cottage are wonderful. Pleased to hear that your MIL is making steady progress WN and that you and your OH are able to go out for and hour or two occasionally. She certainly sounds a plucky lady.

We havent done anything of note this week. OH got his new glasses from Specsavers and my goodness the footfall in town has decreased since M&S closed their city centre store last week. It was very quiet. We then went to the Boots store in an out of town shopping centre for our covid jabs ( the Boots in town werent doing them for some rea⁰son) and it was busy there. Could it have anything to do with the fact that parking is free there I wonder 🤔. We have had a very pleasant weekend. I did a guided tour of the Cathedral on Saturday morning (despite the reasonably mild weather it was still  cold in there!) and the rest of the weekend we have spent in the garden either working or sitting and enjoying it which has been wonderful after all the dreadful weather during the past months. Hope everyone else has had a good weekend.

Posted on 06/05/2024 21:01

I would think that the parking situation has a lot to do with it Millie!

Our nearest M&S is in the local shopping precinct, the now pedestrianised former Main Street, but it has its own car park which is not very big but is free for 2 hours, it is always stuffed, while the car parks operated by the council sit empty as they have charges.

We also have a small retail park about a 5 minute walk from the Main Street where there is a Waitrose, an Aldi and a Home  Bargains, and plenty of parking.  Next to it is an empty site, formerly a car dealership.  M&S wanted to build a new, bigger store there but have been refused planning permission by the council as they fear it would lead to much less footfall in the   Main Street, and the decline of the shopping precinct.

They seem oblivious to the fact that it is their decision to charge for any period of parking that has already led to the decline.  Who wants to pay £2 just to go to the cash machine at the bank?  Or the library?   Or an extra £5 to go for lunch in a local restaurant?  When they started charging the first 2 hours were free, then it was cut to 1 hour, and now they charge for it all.

HelenandTrevor replied on 07/05/2024 08:05

Posted on 07/05/2024 08:05

We landed in Wales yesterday in glorious sunshine ☀ had a really good journey, the roads were actually quiet for a bank holiday. Didn't do very much in the afternoon a quick trip into Abergavenny and a walk. Then just enjoyed being able to sit out in some warm sunshine for a change.🙂

Pleased your setter walk went well Moulesy

Lovely to read all the news about days out and trips, some great photos too.

Millie our town centre m&s also closed along with lots of the shops in the shopping centre so it's a bit if a ghost town now, the large retail park near the motorway however with an M&S is always really busy,but then it's also free parking.

milliehull replied on 07/05/2024 08:16

Posted on 06/05/2024 21:01 by KjellNN

I would think that the parking situation has a lot to do with it Millie!

Our nearest M&S is in the local shopping precinct, the now pedestrianised former Main Street, but it has its own car park which is not very big but is free for 2 hours, it is always stuffed, while the car parks operated by the council sit empty as they have charges.

We also have a small retail park about a 5 minute walk from the Main Street where there is a Waitrose, an Aldi and a Home  Bargains, and plenty of parking.  Next to it is an empty site, formerly a car dealership.  M&S wanted to build a new, bigger store there but have been refused planning permission by the council as they fear it would lead to much less footfall in the   Main Street, and the decline of the shopping precinct.

They seem oblivious to the fact that it is their decision to charge for any period of parking that has already led to the decline.  Who wants to pay £2 just to go to the cash machine at the bank?  Or the library?   Or an extra £5 to go for lunch in a local restaurant?  When they started charging the first 2 hours were free, then it was cut to 1 hour, and now they charge for it all.

Posted on 07/05/2024 08:16

Yes, KjellNN it cost us £4 to park when we went to fetch OH's glass which I thought very steep. I always used to catch the bus into town but they reduced the timetable during covid and now they are much less frequent and not terribly reliable so they are not doing themselves any favours.

milliehull replied on 07/05/2024 08:22

Posted on 07/05/2024 08:22

Hope you have a wonderful time in Wales Helen. The weather forecast looks good for the week ahead so you should be able to enjoy more sitting out in the sun😎

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook