What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DEBSC replied on 07/05/2024 08:36

Posted on 07/05/2024 08:36

When we went to meet our Grandson at Leamington last week OH noticed a large very impressive glass topped shopping centre in the town. After lunch he wanted to look at it so we walked over, it must have cost a lot to build but most of the shops inside were empty, like a ghost town inside, such a shame. Lots of independent shops in the road outside though, we always find free parking in the back streets there as well. I would agree with Millie, once M&S have moved out most towns pretty much die. We went to Banbury recently, M&S moved out and then many others closed down not worth the visit now and we won’t go again. I miss Debenhams, I used to buy my clothes there, not so good online.

KjellNN replied on 07/05/2024 12:54

Posted on 07/05/2024 12:54

We had 2 large M&S stores in Glasgow city centre, also several smaller Simply Food ones, both the ones in the suburbs near us are only food halls.

One of the city centre stores has recently closed down, but there are also at least 4 out of town full stores in shopping centres with free parking and plenty of other shops and eating places, they are always busy, but so much nicer to visit as there is cover from the rain and plenty of parking.

Not many buses come near where we live, a car is more or less essential for shopping.   We certainly could not stay where we are without our own transport.    20 years back we always drove into town if we needed to be there, but now the parking cost is huge so we drive to our daughter’s house then take the bus…..free these days.  That is fine if you are not buying food, or anything heavy, but not otherwise.  We rarely venture into the city centre now.

No doubt the footfall is less when many people are now working from home, certainly many eating places have suffered, but there were a lot of them before and we always wondered how they could all make money.   The best thing the councils could do to rejuvenate the city and town centres is to make parking less expensive, even free, but to have some limits on length of stay.

Locally, the spaces near the shops were mainly occupied by the shop owners and workers, getting a space was difficult.  Charging was introduced, but with the first 2 hours free.  Finally shoppers were able to park, it was great.

But then the council got greedy, cut it to 1 hour free, then none.  The council car parks now sit empty, the nearby side streets are all parked up, Tesco, M&S, etc car parks are occupied by many not shopping in their stores, though they have time limits so you can get a space eventually.

With no decent public transport, people are not going to give up using their cars, but they will go where they feel more welcome!

Bakers2 replied on 07/05/2024 14:33

Posted on 07/05/2024 14:33

Good to read folks news.

Goldie beautiful bluebells. I was surprised when I had another walk to a Bluebell wood that there's still a pretty good show. They were beautiful on 11 April and fading a bit on 4 May. The weather must have suited them.

It's grey and dreary again here. The weekend was very reasonable, especially for a bank holiday! Several gardening jobs sorted. Treated grass looks great but needs cutting more often and is very lush..... There's always a downside! Borders are beautiful but forget me nots fading so delaying any weeding until its all combined as one job.

Not much to report here, just preparing for bathroom and cloakroom refit starting Thursday 🤞. So emptying and putting only essentials back. Did a round robin trip, charity shop, out of date meds, old batteries drop offs. Plus drop off to son of bits I collected for them from our village. Just finished lunch. OH having his feet seen to.

Uninspired to do much so will continue with knitting for 'Tiny'. Did shorten a sun dress yesterday, been hanging around for weeks - can't believe I'll get to wear it anytime soon. I find I have to shorten so much as designers seem to think we're all 8 foot tall...... I have already shortened a summer dress,both from last year. I have a pair of curtains to shortened, but requires space and effort. Baby clothes it is. Might need to pop the heating up a bit 😢.

Milliehull I've not been into the city since M&S closed,I was there the day before it did 😢😢. It all looked very sad then. The one where we all have to go now has so little parking....... I'm grateful our nearest shopping centre has the M&S Food. 

Wherenext replied on 07/05/2024 15:12

Posted on 07/05/2024 15:12

Had a bit of a fright over the weekend. We have 2 identical ISAs with the same provider, both due to mature this month. I received an email giving me notice and options but somehow Mrs. WN didn't.

This raised alarm bells but due to it being Sunday and BH we couldn't get through as they were shut. She rang first thing this morning. For some reason they didn't have (the same) email, or in fact any email, as mine so are using Snail Mail. Phew.

Went to B&Q this morning. They're becoming a waste of time lately and so it proved today.

Off to AbleWorld to look at walking sticks for MiL.

Enjoy your break Helen. 

Must do some emails when I get back.

milliehull replied on 07/05/2024 18:35

Posted on 07/05/2024 14:33 by Bakers2

Good to read folks news.

Goldie beautiful bluebells. I was surprised when I had another walk to a Bluebell wood that there's still a pretty good show. They were beautiful on 11 April and fading a bit on 4 May. The weather must have suited them.

It's grey and dreary again here. The weekend was very reasonable, especially for a bank holiday! Several gardening jobs sorted. Treated grass looks great but needs cutting more often and is very lush..... There's always a downside! Borders are beautiful but forget me nots fading so delaying any weeding until its all combined as one job.

Not much to report here, just preparing for bathroom and cloakroom refit starting Thursday 🤞. So emptying and putting only essentials back. Did a round robin trip, charity shop, out of date meds, old batteries drop offs. Plus drop off to son of bits I collected for them from our village. Just finished lunch. OH having his feet seen to.

Uninspired to do much so will continue with knitting for 'Tiny'. Did shorten a sun dress yesterday, been hanging around for weeks - can't believe I'll get to wear it anytime soon. I find I have to shorten so much as designers seem to think we're all 8 foot tall...... I have already shortened a summer dress,both from last year. I have a pair of curtains to shortened, but requires space and effort. Baby clothes it is. Might need to pop the heating up a bit 😢.

Milliehull I've not been into the city since M&S closed,I was there the day before it did 😢😢. It all looked very sad then. The one where we all have to go now has so little parking....... I'm grateful our nearest shopping centre has the M&S Food. 

Posted on 07/05/2024 18:35

bakers2 when that car park is busy I sometimes park in Morrisons car park and walk through. Also that car park is easier to drive out with the traffic lights when there is a lot of traffic.

Francis replied on 07/05/2024 22:44

Posted on 07/05/2024 22:44

Good day again today out this morning and done a 15 mile cycle then this afternoon we took a drive down the coast to Whitby very busy but as usual excellent one of our favourite places to visit so we took a walk along the sea wall a bit cold but still nice and plenty of boats coming in and out of the harbour. Came back to the van and went to the pub just outside the site for a pint and a lovely meal saved us cooking. Nice day all round.

Glad everyone else seems to be having a nice time 

richardandros replied on 08/05/2024 06:24

Posted on 08/05/2024 06:24

Arrived at Skybarn Farm CL, near Lincoln, yesterday afternoon.  First time, since about last August when we arrived anywhere without having to dry a wet, soggy towing cover! Glorious sunshine all afternoon giving me the opportunity to try out the new portable solar panel by way of reducing our electricity consumption now that meters have been installed.  Seems to be working well. Although we've brought the inflatable awning, for the first time, just made do with the Thule canopy which made setting up so simple and since the forecast predicts mostly dry weather, don't think we'll bother with the awning. Nicola has also upgraded their free Wifi and I couldn't believe it when I checked the speed, yesterday - 80Mbps download!!  No point in bothering with setting mine up - it won't match those speedssmile

On the subject of car parking, I certainly agree that charging affects footfall because our little home seaside town of Hornsea is heaving in the summer - mainly due to there being loads of free parking.  Although the main car parks close to the sea front are 'Pay and Display', others in the centre have between one and three hours free and there is one on the sea front at the northern extremity which is free all day. There are probably only a couple of empty shops in the town and the cafes and other small businesses are thriving - which is good to see although it does mean having to put up with traffic congestion all summer!

Francis replied on 08/05/2024 20:54

Posted on 08/05/2024 20:54

Excellent day today weather has been wonderful so we spent a pleasant hour this morning sitting outside the van then made our way up to Newcastle. We parked just outside the city and walked in along the quayside which was really nice we then had lunch in the Wetherspoons on the quayside then had a walk through the city centre which was very lively today not like last time we were there when the place was deserted. Walked up to St James Park stadium to visit the shop then had a pint in the sun outside Shearers Bar spent a pleasant hour there watching the world go by. Now back at the van site has got a bit busier but still quiet for this time of year although I suspect it will be busier again by the weekend 

Wherenext replied on 08/05/2024 21:44

Posted on 08/05/2024 21:44

Good weather for RandR and Francis.  Nice to see it spread around.

I was in charge this morning as OH had a hair appointment in town so I accompanied or chaperoned more like the MiL on her walk to the old football field, about 440 yards from the house, slightly uphill where we rested on the barrier gate before walking back. I seemed to pass the test.🤣

She had her weekly visit from a friend this afternoon so we escaped for a couple of hours. Drove to Flint Castle and walked westward along the coastal path for an hour before returning the same way. Lovely and warm.

Have my 6 monthly consultation tomorrow. A lot to discuss so am glad in a way, for once, that I'm not postponing it this time.

Hope everyone else still enjoying the weather.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook