What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

RedKite replied on 03/05/2024 15:01

Posted on 03/05/2024 15:01

Have a good B/H weekend folks.

We have been in the cottage near Malvern for a week and another to go, weather has been mixed  but it has been better here than home where there has been awful storms and local flooding near the river Lot, not seen many outfits as both clubs sites only a short distance up the road.

Hanley Swan has it open gardens this weekend but will have to see what the weather is like as gardens are my thing but not OH's so may go to Croome  as there is a exhibition he would like to see all to do with RAF Defford from the second world war and as he did radar for his apprenticeship at Malvern many years ago, also we can get into Croome with the 2 for 1 vouchers from Gardeners World as we do not belong to the NT anymore.

Went to Ripple to see the church as my mum was born there and a meal at a local pub recommended by some folks we met on the way through France did take some photos but will put some on here when we get home. 

DEBSC replied on 03/05/2024 16:37

Posted on 03/05/2024 16:37

Well it’s rained all day here, always sounds worse on the caravan roof, cold as well. Keeping an eye on the river. Next door have gone home, she said she can never sleep when it rains here because of the river. Treated ourselves to a hot chocolate, complete with whipped topping at the Hotel Chocolat cafe, not cheap but worth it. Then a bit of food shopping.

Yesterday we met up with eldest grandson at Leamington Spa, he’s doing his finals at Warwick uni in Astrophysics, he said the quantum exam was difficult, I didn’t even understand the concept let alone take an exam in it! We went for lunch at Wetherspoons, total disaster, busy, noisy and very understaffed. The youngsters were doing their very best to manage but after over an hours wait and then stone cold food I did complain, we were then brought more hot food but we won’t be going back. We then went to the cafe in the lovely Park for coffee, which was lovely, and so nice to catch up with our grandson.

New neighbours when we get home as our previous neighbours moved out today, we will miss them and their lovely polite children. Seems new neighbours have grown up family still living at home, hope they are nice.

Meeting up with friends visiting us tomorrow, then home. Just need to squeeze all the plants I have bought into the car. 

nelliethehooker replied on 03/05/2024 22:01

Posted on 03/05/2024 22:01

Two beautifully sunny days here in the Cairngorms. Yesterday we drove down to Loch Inch for a walk and to see the Ospreys, which nest near the church by the Loch close to Kincairg. On to Feshiebridge Forestry carpark for our picnic lunch then a walk by the river. Two of the waymarked paths were close due to fallen trees following the high winds that they had up here earlier in the year.

Today we drove to Loch Garten and did the Two Lochs walk. Got talking to a lady birdwatcher, and by coincidence it turned out that she was born in our home town!! Then the couple in the next caravan on the CL turned up, so more chatting before we set off on our walk, and just as we were finishing our lunch by Loch Mallachie we got into conversation with a couple from Pennsylvania who had just come down from a stay on Shetland, where they went after watching the Anne Cleeves series over in The States!! 

moulesy replied on 04/05/2024 10:07

Posted on 04/05/2024 10:07

We are now settled in our cottage at Little Longstone, arrived just in time for lunch at "you-know-where" yesterday. Never tire of either of these views! wink

We had a difficult morning yesterday, having decided to "pop in" to Sainsbury at Stafford for a few supplies. Well the centre of Stafford appears to be one huge building site with roads closed all over the place and several diversions. Then, to make matters more complicated the car park, owned by Stafford council, has one of those ticket machines where you could really do with a degree in computer science to get the damn thing to work! yell Card payment only and, wait, you have to get a second ticket to take into the shop to get your fee refunded. So a bit stressful, but had calmed down after a couple of pints of Jaipur which, luckily, there seems to be no shortage of at the pub.

Overcast this morning but it promises to brighten up later on. Just a couple of short walks with Ralph today,  then off to Matlock tomorrow for the sponsored walk.

Hope everyone has a good Bank Holiday weekend. smile

Takethedogalong replied on 04/05/2024 10:15

Posted on 04/05/2024 10:15

Hope the weather stays nice for you M. There’s a nice stroll along the Cromford Canal side not far from Matlock Bath, with a World Heritage Mill across the road from the nice Cafe. We have Crich in our to do plans shortly, another interesting place.

https://www.cromfordmills.org.uk/

Francis replied on 04/05/2024 20:33

Posted on 04/05/2024 20:33

We left home around 3 yesterday afternoon and spent the night at our usual CL in Longtown then made our way across here to the North East today easy 2 hour tow to the site the A66 was running free today so a pleasant and scenic journey. Site very busy but we have managed to get a good pitch put the awning up first time we’ve used it since we were at Broadway last summer nice to have the extra space especially when away for a few days. Weather is looking promising for the week ahead so hopefully that’s accurate. Once we set up we went off to get supplies now just sitting in the van watching the snooker and having a few drinks.

Hope everyone else is having a nice weekend

nelliethehooker replied on 04/05/2024 21:38

Posted on 04/05/2024 21:38

Hope all of those that are away have a good weekend or more.

It has been another dry day but not as sunny as recently. We had a walk today from the site through some of the woods in the neighbourhood. The village is very quiet with few visitors about, and although the site was full last night, all caravans, there are only 3 on tonight.

DavidKlyne replied on 04/05/2024 23:42

Posted on 04/05/2024 23:42

Quite a nice day here in MK and warmer. Managed to pot up some hanging baskets and some wall hanging baskets. Margaret keeps on at me about getting a proper potting bench but given the amount of potting I do I just turn the dustbin lid upside down and use that.

Margaret had an appointment today at a private medical facility that deals with knee and hip problems, paid for by the NHS I should add. The purpose of the visit was to have a steroid injection to ease the pain in her hip. I was waiting in the car and was surprised that she re-emerged about 10 minutes after her appointment time. Apparently she was told that the injection wouldn't work and she needs a hip replacement. At least now we know. She has already had a scan but they want an X-Ray to confirm and before being put on the list. I have been waiting nearly four weeks for an appointment to X-Ray my knees so goodness knows when it will all be sorted?

David

HelenandTrevor replied on 05/05/2024 08:31

Posted on 05/05/2024 08:31

Just catching up, good to read everyone's enjoying their breaks away.

Sorry to read about long NHS waits David, our son also lives in MK and although his wife got her gall bladder op done fairly quickly they often comment on nhs long waits. 

Lovely pics Moulesy, I love that view too. We were also in the peaks yesterday but in Tideswell for the food festival, and we called in at the Anglers on the way back. We haven't visited the Packhorse for a while, must get back there soon!  Hope the  setter walk goes well.

I had a lovely catch up with some ex work colleagues last week. So much to catch up on Don't get to all meet up very often.

It's a sunny morning,  have a few jobs to catch up on and then we can load the caravan as we are also off tomorrow into Wales for a few days and then back into Gloucestershire. 

Hope everyone's got a bit of sunshine ☀ enjoy the rest of the weekend. 

KjellNN replied on 05/05/2024 12:31

Posted on 05/05/2024 12:31

Unfortunately I was correct, the boot lock fix did not last, needs some new parts.  Either that or a new car.  DD and the boys have been out looking at the options.

She still has the flat in Glasgow that she stayed in while a student, plus a few years afterwards, but is now thinking to sell it, or at least rent it out for a lot more than she has been charging, so some of that will pay for a new car, and some will pay off a chunk of their own mortgage.  

The tenants have just left, with very little notice, so this is a good time to get things sorted out.  They were there 9 years, so there is a fair bit to do, which will cost her a bit, but it has to be done.  We went there on Monday to get the keys and check things out.

Disappointingly, as the place was always very clean previously, they have left it in a very poor state, no cleaning done at all, so most of their deposit will go to pay for that and some damage.  Once clean she can get in a painter to paint the whole place,  and a joiner to fit a new window which mysteriously broke ( not the glass, the frame ), and I can lay some new flooring and fix various things, then she will decide whether to sell it.

Selling is probably best as she has plenty to do now with their own house, and the children, without having another property to look after.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook