What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

heddlo replied on 04/03/2024 09:46

Posted on 03/03/2024 22:48 by DavidKlyne

Millie

On your point about surgeries getting extra money to monitor things like Blood Pressure. I have heard that the NHS does have certain campaigns where they make money available to GP Practices to monitor certain conditions more fully than they would by just seeing patients now and again. No bad thing I suppose. I used to have my BP checked twice a year prior to Covid but that doesn't happen now. However I do have an annual Doppler Test which involves BP being taken so I assume that goes on my records?

David

Posted on 04/03/2024 09:46

Our surgery seems to do something like this.  We have both recently done Atrial Fibrillation tests.  After we signed up we were sent a handheld ECG machine that we had to hold for 30 seconds 4 times a day for 3 weeks.  Each measurement was sent back to the trial centre, in Cambridge, via a cell phone signal.  We have heard that neither of us had a problem ‘at the time the tests were done, but that doesn’t mean we may not have it’. They have to cover themselves I suppose!  

Glad to hear all is well with you all, mostly.  Pleased to hear MIL is home again Wherenext.  Hope your leg problem is getting better B2. 

We are off to Macau again soon, wasn’t planning on going again yet but it seems a ‘needs must’ this time.  Our son is having a back operation and after that he and wife are planning a holiday (delayed honeymoon) so we will babysitting our 5 year old Granddaughter and 15 month old Grandson - eeeekkk!!!!  I hope it will be ok, I just hope no one is poorly while Mum and Dad are away.  

DEBSC replied on 04/03/2024 10:04

Posted on 04/03/2024 10:04

You are probably right about the Atorvastatin Bakers. Over 20 years ago our GP put me on them (apparently I can make cholesterol for Britain) and I had to return to her with awful leg pains and other issues. She changed them, I now take ones called Lipitor and very few problems since.

Thank you all for your kind comments about our granddaughter, yes she is inspirational and we are so proud of her. Your inspirational comments remind me of her at college. Because, with her illness, she passed out so often they said she couldn’t take or pass her exams, they weren’t particularly helpful, apart from one teacher. She suggested she take them laying on the floor, she still passed out but couldnt then fall. The exam board allowed her a little extra time. So that’s what she did, and she past with flying colours. On the leaving presentation night she was presented with a new award, an inspirational award. The college also said she wouldn’t be able to go to Uni - yes she’s had major problems but she’s in her second year. I’ve learnt that people should never try to hold kids back.

Takethedogalong replied on 04/03/2024 10:08

Posted on 04/03/2024 09:03 by milliehull

Go to Southall Minster tda. It is absolutely beautiful. Some friends of ours are lucky enough to live opposite. There is also Southall Workhouse. There was a big article about Wenworth Woodhouse in The Sunday Times 'Home' supplement yesterday that you might find interesting.

Posted on 04/03/2024 10:08

Thank you Millie, I will take a look at that article. Some really good events going off at WW on a regular basis, we get the newsletter plus it’s somewhere very local. They were filming something last month, can’t recall what, but Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant were around. 

Decided on SouthallšŸ˜ We have been before, but it’s a nice run, nicer than Newark which involves too much of the A1. There’s a rare plant fair at Southall on 17th of this month, but we are up in Skipton on a railway trip. 

Forty years ago yesterday, the Miners Strike started. Lots of articles and history, documentaries on TV. Very good one from three different perspectives on Channel 4.

Takethedogalong replied on 04/03/2024 10:19

Posted on 04/03/2024 10:04 by DEBSC

You are probably right about the Atorvastatin Bakers. Over 20 years ago our GP put me on them (apparently I can make cholesterol for Britain) and I had to return to her with awful leg pains and other issues. She changed them, I now take ones called Lipitor and very few problems since.

Thank you all for your kind comments about our granddaughter, yes she is inspirational and we are so proud of her. Your inspirational comments remind me of her at college. Because, with her illness, she passed out so often they said she couldnā€™t take or pass her exams, they werenā€™t particularly helpful, apart from one teacher. She suggested she take them laying on the floor, she still passed out but couldnt then fall. The exam board allowed her a little extra time. So thatā€™s what she did, and she past with flying colours. On the leaving presentation night she was presented with a new award, an inspirational award. The college also said she wouldnā€™t be able to go to Uni - yes sheā€™s had major problems but sheā€™s in her second year. Iā€™ve learnt that people should never try to hold kids back.

Posted on 04/03/2024 10:19

Great she is doing so well Debsc. When I worked in the Leisure Industry, we organised Disability sports competitions. They were always really great to work on, and it was a huge learning curve for me and all my staff. But we quickly realised it wasn’t about what “others” thought they could do, it was about what they knew they were capable of, and how if given the chance and opportunity, folks would just get on with things. We were in awe of the Paracyclists last week at the National Cycling Championships. 

Enjoy Macau, if you get the time, think you are going to be busy HeddlošŸ˜

richardandros replied on 04/03/2024 15:17

Posted on 04/03/2024 15:17

Bakers2 - Ros has been taking statins for some time now and has had no end of problems with cramps and pains in her legs.  She's gone through a whole host of alternative medications but none of them made much difference - until our Doctor suggested what was really the last resort - and it was the last resort because, apparently, it's horrendously expensive! She's been on that for about a year and has experienced no nasty side effects whatsoever.  I'll have a look later and let you know what it's called.

Well, I bit the bullet this morning and set about something I have been putting off for weeks - hiding behind the awful weather.  I now have a perfectly clean and gleaming caravan roof even it did take me the best part of four hours to complete! I have to say a big 'thank you' to David (DSB) for recommending that rechargeable rotary brush on a long handle.  It was absolutely brilliant and so easy to use and, together with a liberal application of Auto Glym Caravan and Motorhome cleaner cut through the grime like magicsmile. It's almost exactly a year since Paul from Tourershine came to work his magic on the van and it's incredible to see how filthy it has got in that period. Just goes to show just how much muck is in our atmosphere.

Just got the sides to clean and polish now - but that's the easy bit (comparatively)undecided

Francis replied on 04/03/2024 18:17

Posted on 04/03/2024 18:17

Richard - I normally wash the roof of our caravan twice a year once in the summer and once around Christmas time this seems to keep it clean enough but not the easiest task as you say. Normally give the front back and sides a clean after every few trips away this keeps it clean enough

Been a lovely sunny day here today but very cold. I took the opportunity to give the car a wash so it’s now sitting sparkling on the drive. We are still trying to decide where to go for our main summer trip in July we settle on one area then see something on the telly or read an article then change our mind so will need to get it decided soon so we can start making proper plans 

Tammygirl replied on 04/03/2024 19:20

Posted on 04/03/2024 19:20

WN, good to hear MIL is now back home, I'm sure she will be happy to be home which is always good for the recovery.

Bright sunshine again today, more work done in the garden. We now have that many tubs to go to the skip, OH will have to do 2 trips with the trailer.

The living room ceiling was plastered on Saturday morning. He's done a good job and it's drying out nicely. Saturday evening was fun (not) it was too cold to have the window open, we kept the heating low but still we got moisture dripping down the walls. Every hour or so we had to wipe down the gable end wall. Thankfully we managed to get the worst of it done before going to bed. Wall just a bit moist in the morning. The day was good enough to have the window open again so by evening on Sunday the worst was over. 

Had a call from our 98 year old neighbour late afternoon, could we pop next door and lift her off the floor šŸ˜² we both rushed round to help to find he sat on the floor leaning against her armchair laughing. What a relief that was. Turns out she just had one of them moments, no damage done to her or the floor. We sat with her for awhile but she was fine. Will check on her again later.

Hoping to get out in the MH for the day soon, it's been so cold and wet we have not felt that inclined.

I see some 'expert' tells us that the perfect and correct day to turn our heating off is 31st March. Ha! guess he's not been to Scotland. Heating will be on until at least the end of May. Not all day of course, just first thing in the morning and then again in the evening. 

Glad you enjoyed you weekend away Francis.

Tammygirl replied on 04/03/2024 20:04

Posted on 03/03/2024 14:26 by DavidKlyne

Motorhome has been in for its annual service although pick up has been delayed due to the need to replace the Air Bag ECU (expensive!) Now when the Motorhome is away it gives me the opportunity to pressure wash the paving in the back garden, providing the weather plays ball. I am almost glad the weather forecast has been wrong over the last few days as instead of the forecast which said rain it's been dry and at times sunny and not too cold. I have done most of what I set out to do but there is still a bit more which hopefully will be completed tomorrow as we collect the motorhome on Tuesday. Just got to go back out into the garden and put everything away now.

David

Posted on 04/03/2024 20:04

David, I hope you don't mind me asking. Was there a problem with the Airbag ECU before you took it in for service or did it fail while in the garage?

We have had to replace 2 of these now, it's a very well known problem with them that neither Fiat or Peugeot are in the least interested in doing anything about it. 

The first that went was on our Bailey that cost £400+ we did manage to claim half of that back from Peugeot although it was just out of warranty.

Then it happened again 2 years ago on our current Fiat based van. This time OH removed it and sent it off to Crash data to fix it at much reduced cost  around £100. 

It's well documented but no one has come up with a definitive answer as to what causes it to fail. Low battery is one theory as is a spike in the battery, also incorrect starting of the van. So many theory's but no answers from either Fiat or Peugeot.

Cornersteady replied on 04/03/2024 21:12

Posted on 04/03/2024 21:12

Apparently we're getting reports of a cold snap back home? Well if it's any consolation it cooled down here a bit to 27C.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook