What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DavidKlyne replied on 23/04/2021 20:43

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:43

Busy day today. Drove to Wellingborough to pick up the motorhome from it's second service. Dropped off the loan car which was a lot cleaner than when we picked it up. Unfortunately the motorhome was filthy, covered in dust. This afternoon went to pick up Margaret's medication and later still treated ourselves to fish and chips from the chippy. I don't know whether its months of lockdown but the roads today seemed totally mannic, everywhere we went!!! Now just have to empty the conservatory back into the motorhome!

David

Takethedogalong replied on 23/04/2021 21:03

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:03

We are home😁 Lovely first trip out, couldn’t have had a nicer break to be honest. Weather gorgeous, site very nice, lots of things we love doing and seeing, and then we finished up with a very enjoyable visit to a very interesting garden. And spent £70 on stuff for my garden, so some treasured mementoes. So a very big thank you to Milliehull for mentioning Easton Walled Garden, we even got to have a nice chat with the Head Gardener, and Lord Cholmondley👍(Lovely gardens, a lot to see, and some fantastic ideas I haven’t seen before, we are planning to go back later in year to see roses and sweet peas. Great place for a picnic, and a good break for anyone travelling on A1, as it’s a few minutes away.)

Can’t believe the frost damage to plants here at home though, nothing I could do about it, but it must have been very very cold overnight. Hopefully most things will just try again though.

Second jabs booked for me and Sister on Sunday, hopefully we will get no reactions same as with first.👍

Wherenext replied on 23/04/2021 21:17

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:17

I don't know whether its months of lockdown but the roads today seemed totally mannic, everywhere we went!!!

David, I think part of it is that we have become accustomed to quieter roads during various lockdowns. We noticed a significant increase in the volume of traffic just after the 12th.April but the roads around here in North Wales were still quiet even after the Welsh lockdown finished late March until the English one joined in.

We drove back early afternoon along the main A55 route into North Wales from Cheshire and it seemed like a normal Friday traffic load with slow moving traffic due to sheer weight.

Have to get used to it I suppose.

Cornersteady replied on 23/04/2021 21:28

Posted on 23/04/2021 18:42 by Tinwheeler

Ah, I remember them well!

At one time every single call had to be connected by an operator who plugged cables into the switchboard to connect the calls. Gradually the exchanges became automated with calls being recorded on a meter in the form of units rather like electricity. The meters were read by staff visiting the exchanges who physically read and wrote down the meter readings. That gave rise to the number of metered units charged on the bill after the maths was done back in the office. Later, photography was used to record the meter readings.

Each operator connected call generated a hand written ticket and the tickets were sent to a centre and somehow used to manually produce the 'trunk statements' associated with each bill. The tickets were then forwarded to the area offices around the country - millions of them!

Local calls via the operator became metered and, eventually, we had Subscriber Trunk Dialling which gave us the freedom to dial all our calls directly. It's only within the last 20 years or so that metered calls charged in units were replaced by charging by time.

Incidentally, those old bills were collated, folded, enveloped and sealed by hand.

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:28

Ah right - thanks TW!

Tinwheeler replied on 23/04/2021 21:35

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:28 by Cornersteady

Ah right - thanks TW!

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:35

My, pleasure. I was that meter reader / ticket filer / bill folder back in 1966😂😂

ABM replied on 23/04/2021 21:39

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:39

Very well remembered TW  wink.

We always used to moan that the training schools that we Engineers went to should have had a large dark "Quiet~room" so that time-expired info like that could be drained off, just to allow more total guff to be absorbed !!wink

Tinwheeler replied on 23/04/2021 21:45

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:39 by ABM

Very well remembered TW  wink.

We always used to moan that the training schools that we Engineers went to should have had a large dark "Quiet~room" so that time-expired info like that could be drained off, just to allow more total guff to be absorbed !!wink

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:45

I was digging deep there, Brian. I did far more interesting things after that😄

KjellNN replied on 23/04/2021 21:52

Posted on 23/04/2021 20:43 by DavidKlyne

Busy day today. Drove to Wellingborough to pick up the motorhome from it's second service. Dropped off the loan car which was a lot cleaner than when we picked it up. Unfortunately the motorhome was filthy, covered in dust. This afternoon went to pick up Margaret's medication and later still treated ourselves to fish and chips from the chippy. I don't know whether its months of lockdown but the roads today seemed totally mannic, everywhere we went!!! Now just have to empty the conservatory back into the motorhome!

David

Posted on 23/04/2021 21:52

Yes, we too have noticed a big increase in the traffic.   It was nice when it was quiet, but presumably not good for many businesses.

This last week or so it has been gradually increasing here, though not yet back to as before as a lot of people are still working from home.

Both our children are Software engineers and their employers are key in keeping the internet going, and facilitating people  working from home.

Our son has been working from home for over 15 years, he has worked for over 20 years for the big American  company Cisco, and loves it.   We have no idea what he actually does, it is too secret!  

He hardly ever goes to his designated office, where apparently he does have a desk.  He spends more time in meetings in USA than anywhere else away from home, and was just saying it is now almost 18 months since he last made a business trip, which suits him well, he hates dealing with jet lag.  Everything is done via Zoom.

DD is of course on maternity leave at present, but from early March 2020 till January 2021 was also working from home. She is also with an American  company SAS, since 2012, they do a lot with police, security and various other stuff......all hush hush and also a mystery to us!

She loves WFH, used to do 1 day per week at home previously, does not miss her relatively short commute, and can be flexible as to the hours she works.  It is working so well for the company and the employees that it is likely a lot more WFH will be going on in the future.  Company will save money on office space, employees no longer have to commute. Win-win all round.

She does slightly miss the social aspect of being in the office, they did have company lunches and charity events, but not having to travel is a big bonus as far as she is concerned.

Her company has done so well in the last year, not been affected at all by Covid, that, having been previously told there would be no bonuses, or any pay rises, they have all just had a good bonus, and she has been given a 17% pay rise, though she will not actually get this till  after she returns to work in February 2022.   Something to look forward to.

cyberyacht replied on 24/04/2021 07:42

Posted on 24/04/2021 07:42

WhereNext wrote "I never had access to a telephone in the house until I got married!"

E'ee, thee 'twere lucky. I were married three years before we had telephone inside 'ouse.

replied on 24/04/2021 07:51

Posted on 24/04/2021 07:51

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook