What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

milliehull replied on 15/01/2017 20:43

Posted on 15/01/2017 20:43

Where are you going Helen? We have booked Seacroft for the beginning of June. We will hopefully get a couple of trips booked before that soon.

IanH replied on 15/01/2017 20:45

Posted on 14/01/2017 21:10 by DavidKlyne

We have our heating set at 21 C from 6.30am to 11.30pm. It is set overnight at 15 C. If its going to be cold overnight I increase the overnight temperature although it seldom comes on. During the day we will nudge the temperature down if we are going out and up during the evening. About two years ago we had a Power Flush which has been pretty successful. We have TRV's in most rooms although of course they shouldn't be in the room where you have your thermostat.

David

Posted on 15/01/2017 20:45

Wowzer!

We have ours set to 18 degrees from either 5:30am (3 days) or 6:30am (4 days) to suit when I get up, untill 9 or 10am. Then it comes on again at about 5pm untill 9pm.

If we are in the house all day and not doing much (unusual) then we might put the gas fire on, if it's very cold. Although mostly we just put another jumper on.

At night (and outside the above hours) we have it set to about 10 degrees, to make sure it doesn't come on.

While on holiday, we have it set to 8 degrees so that it only comes on in potential freezing conditions.

SELL replied on 15/01/2017 21:54

Posted on 15/01/2017 11:37 by KjellNN

Ours is coming up on 29 years now, has never needed any boiler repairs, but I did renew all the TRVs about 10 years back, and fitted a new timer about 5 years back.

The rad in the hall is the "bypass" so has no TRV and is always on. The hallway is large, this rad is very small and has the coat hooks above it, so great for drying wet things, and for having a nice warm jacket to put on when going out.

We keep discussing getting a new, more efficient boiler, but it would take many years of fuel saving to break even, so we have kept putting it off. Seems modern boilers are not as long lived as the old ones anyway.

As we have a "granny flat" there is a separate boiler for that, so if the main one fails we would still have heating and hot water there to use.

TRVs in unused rooms and bedrooms are set to the bare minimum and doors left open to allow air circulation, we prefer a cool bedroom. Lounge/dining room, bathrooms and kitchen/diner are on 20-22 degrees. Despite the size of the house bills are reasonable, especially, as David said, as we are away for around 4 months each year at present.

In the caravan we use 13 degrees overnight on the Alde, and it does kick in for short periods in cold weather.

Posted on 15/01/2017 21:54

we changed our 20 year old  boiler 2 years ago as we were having problems, when tested it was running 65% efficiently, new boiler was at 95% a big difference. 

DSB replied on 16/01/2017 00:05

Posted on 15/01/2017 15:09 by ABM

Damp,  mizzley  day  --  all  grey  &  horrible  so  sitting  on  P.C. 

between  loads  of  "Washing  &  Drying"  must  get  it  out  of  the

way  'cos  to-morrow  the 'van  is  in  for  service  &  M O T frown

Always  a  bad  time  peering  thro'  the  window  &  seeing  a  big 

open  space  !  Still  should  be  ok  for  Aged  Sister  to  get  into  for 

her  shopping  trip  tho'  wink!!

Must  come  on  here  a  little  more  than  I  am  doing,  'cos  I 

turned  the  Squwark  Box  on  and  got  a  burst  of  "Oh  Come  All

Ye  Faithful"   { D S B  would  have  been  proud  of me    !!  } 

So  I've  swapped  C.D.s  for  some  of  The  Sheringham  ShantyMen 

to  remind  me  of  the  weather  over  on  the  East  Coast  !!surprised

Keep  Warm  &  Dry  you  lot    !!

B

Posted on 16/01/2017 00:05

Absolutely proud of you ABM. O Come, All ye Faithful has to be one of my favourite Christmas Carols/hymns.  smile

By the way, how do you manage to get your posts in paragraph style - you seen to get gaps every so often.  It looks quite poetic!  laughing

David 

KjellNN replied on 16/01/2017 00:38

Posted on 15/01/2017 21:54 by SELL

we changed our 20 year old  boiler 2 years ago as we were having problems, when tested it was running 65% efficiently, new boiler was at 95% a big difference. 

Posted on 16/01/2017 00:38

I reckon ours is similar, so if we saved 30% on our gas bill, at todays prices that would be about £200. A new boiler would be around £1500-£2000 fitted as far as I can make out, so it would be about 8-10 years before we had saved the cost of the new boiler.

So as long as this one keeps going, it will be staying!

replied on 16/01/2017 03:10

Posted on 16/01/2017 03:10

It rained all day so I just stayed in all day. No point in driving the car across a water-logged field and getting stuck in the mud!

replied on 16/01/2017 09:26

Posted on 16/01/2017 09:26

Heavy rain here again this morning. I managed to get a few outside chores done in between the showers though. I  filled the Aquaroll earlier this morning.

I think I'll probably stay in today. With so much rain, I don't think it's worth driving the car across the field to get out. No real need to do any shopping today. There's enough food supply in the fridge/freezer. 

triky auto replied on 16/01/2017 16:38

Posted on 16/01/2017 16:38

Dry with sunny periods today at the B/Yd.A couple of jobs crept up due to the high spring tides .

One job at home too,a rainwater downpipe came adrift in those gales,so fixed it today ."there's always summat"  !!!undecided.

Oneputt replied on 16/01/2017 16:42

Posted on 16/01/2017 16:42

Lovely day today, bright and sunny.

Had a tooth out this morning, took less than 5 minutes and pretty painless.laughing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook