Hull- city of culture

mickysf replied on 01/01/2017 12:04

Posted on 01/01/2017 12:04

Best wishes to Hull for the coming year. As many know, Hull, and many other Humber towns, have played a large part in the development of our hobby and the caravans and motorhomes we use. I wonder if Hull is going to celebrate this aspect of its 'culture'? Are folk going to visit the many events planned for the year? cool

KeefySher replied on 01/01/2017 13:43

Posted on 01/01/2017 13:43

The better 'culture' would be of quality assurance, continuous improvement, attention to detail and customer service within the assemblers of common poor quality parts masquerading as caravan manufacturers in that part of the country.

When they produce right first time consistently there may be cause to celebrate tongue-out

Bakers2 replied on 01/01/2017 14:12

Posted on 01/01/2017 14:12

Grhhh just posted a comment here!!! Says I'm logged in but clearly been chucked out 😬

Never visited Hull so that this would be good reason do.   Been on site but seems lack a year overview so picking a time to visit laboured. My previous post asked if anyone knew where to find an year overview view rather than naming months. Did contact site myself but any help would be welcome. We love history but know nothing of the area so any insights would be welcome, certainly want to learn Hull's contribution to our beautiful land. At present our year is completely free so thinking of circular type tour to include other areas too.

mickysf replied on 01/01/2017 15:11

Posted on 01/01/2017 15:11

There is much history in Hull of regional, national and world importance. For me probably the most important is 'its' connection with the abolition of the slave trade.

Oh, and Hull FC although those of the red and white persuasion might disagree!cool

Bakers2 replied on 01/01/2017 15:19

Posted on 01/01/2017 15:11 by mickysf

There is much history in Hull of regional, national and world importance. For me probably the most important is 'its' connection with the abolition of the slave trade.

Posted on 01/01/2017 15:19

Now that sounds like a general overview of the city, can make start this. 😃. Any guidance on places to visit where stay most welcome 😃    in fact any suggestions of what to include will be considered. Fancy doing Lincolnshire wolds and maybe if OH in driving seat humber bridge 😉      its eating my words again 😯

mickysf replied on 01/01/2017 17:38

Posted on 01/01/2017 17:38

The Wolds, both the Lincolnshire and Yorkshire ones are beautiful and relatively unknown to tourists. The Humber cuts right through them with South Ferriby on one side and North Ferriby on the other. Lots of CLs around and club sites at Market Rasen (south) and Bridlington (north) being the nearest club sites. The North Lincolnshire Wolds, which I know best, has some cracking walking and one of our favourite CLs (Mealand Hill) is only about 35mins by car from the centre of Hull. Hunger Hill CL is also very good and it too is not much further into Hull. Maybe those on the North Bank can recommend sites there.

moulesy replied on 01/01/2017 18:04

Posted on 01/01/2017 15:11 by mickysf

Oh, and Hull FC although those of the red and white persuasion might disagree!cool

Posted on 01/01/2017 18:04

I liked that micky, in spite of the last sentence!

We lived in Hull for many years when we were first married and still have friends in the area. My first 3 teaching jobs were at what were then called Leo Schultz, Sydney Smith and Bransholme High schools - I think they all go by different names now.. We're certainly hoping to visit this year.

I agree it's a city with lots to recommend it, much changed obviously since we lived there, but we have happy memories of evenings spent at the Black Boy, in the Land of Green Ginger and remember the statues of King Billy without his stirrups and William Wilberforce.

For those unfamiliar with the area, I can certainly recommend the city itself and the countryside around, especially up coast near Hornsea and Flamborough.

So I wish Hull the best of luck as city of culture 2017 and hope everyone enjoys the opening concert tonight.

(Also hope the Tigers survive in the Premier League and Rovers can make it back to the Super League and (sigh, all right then) wish the black & whitesa successful defence of their Challenge Cup!  

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 01/01/2017 19:50

Posted on 01/01/2017 19:50

The Fireworks start tonight at 2017hrs(2017 year of culture) I love the link-good move. They're supposed to be bigger & better than London's I couldn't get tickets they were sold out in minutes. I have family attending & they report the city centre is heaving. The laser shows on buildings of the story of Hull go for the next week for all those who missed it tonight. It is quite spectacular by the look of things.

mickysf replied on 02/01/2017 18:59

Posted on 02/01/2017 18:59

According to BBC Look North last night's opening ceremony, light show and firework display were a tremendous success. By all accounts the best views of the latter were to had on the South Bank. Well done Hull, all the best for 2017.

moulesy replied on 03/01/2017 18:54

Posted on 03/01/2017 18:54

Hull has always been great for firework displays. I can remember, in the early days of the London Marathon sitting outside the main post office overnight ( in those days you had to personally hand in your entry form from, I seem to remember 6 am on a certain date) and being entertained by displays in the city centre. And we were living there when the Humber Bridge was opened - the display then was one of the best we'd ever seen at the time.

It's obviously going to be a very exciting year for the city!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook