e scooters

Mike Abbott replied on 24/08/2021 20:56

Posted on 24/08/2021 20:56

Just a quick question relating to E Scooters ? I am a concerned member regarding the use of E scooters on sites ? As a member we should only be doing 5 mph around sites when driving a vehicle and also fully insured ? wondering what the Clubs veiws are on the use of E scooters doing 25 mph plus ! around sites ? also the damage liabilty & insurance issues in the event of an accident or injury to persons or posessions ie vehicles, caravans, and awnings etc ?

Tinwheeler replied on 24/08/2021 21:05

Posted on 24/08/2021 21:05

Well, that's odd as site leaflets used to stipulate that such scooters were not permitted on site (disability scooters being the exception) but now there is no mention in the site rules or site leaflets unless I’ve missed it. There is, though, mention that the 5mph speed limit applies to all vehicles.

Cornersteady replied on 24/08/2021 21:19

Posted on 24/08/2021 21:19

I think the top speed for e scotters is the same as for ebikes - 15.5 mph but they can be ridden only on certain areas:

the only e-scooters that can be used on public roads are those rented as part of government-backed trials.
If you own an e-scooter, you can only use it on private land and not on public roads, cycle lanes or pavements

btw for ebikes that is to say an ebike's motor will only assist to 15.5 mph but all vehicles are limited to 5mph on site.

nelliethehooker replied on 24/08/2021 21:31

Posted on 24/08/2021 21:31

MA, have you actually seen them being ridden around a site at the speeds you write about? If so did you query there use with the site wardens, as they should have been able to give you the Club's views on them.

replied on 24/08/2021 21:44

Posted on 24/08/2021 21:44

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

LLM replied on 24/08/2021 22:00

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:00

An interesting set of questions regarding on site use, risk, liability and insurance though. For example how could insurance be legally effective, inforced and enforced if the scooter is being used on private land without the owners permission.

Cornersteady replied on 24/08/2021 22:12

Posted on 24/08/2021 21:44 by

Most e scooters come with a speed limitation set at 30 kph but it very easy to alter up and down.

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:12

30 KpH! I haven't seen one for sale in the UK that has a top speed more than 15.5 mph (25 Kmh), and legally that is the top speed in the UK under various trail schemes.

While it may be easy it would/may invalidate any warranty and/or insurance.  In the case of my ebike that would certainly apply.

I would be interested to see one for sale in the UK that has a top speed greater than 15.5 mph? Could you share?

Cornersteady replied on 24/08/2021 22:16

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:00 by LLM

An interesting set of questions regarding on site use, risk, liability and insurance though. For example how could insurance be legally effective, inforced and enforced if the scooter is being used on private land without the owners permission.

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:16

In the same way as if you were driving any road vehicle on private land without permission. 

What are powered transporters?
The term “powered transporters” covers a variety of novel personal transport devices which are mechanically propelled (propelled by a motor) as well as or instead of being manually propelled. It includes e-scooters, Segways, hoverboards, go-peds (combustion engine-powered kick-scooters), powered unicycles, and u-wheels.

This term does not include electrically-assisted pedal cycles (EAPCs), which have their own regulatory framework

What law applies to the use of powered transporters?
There is no specially-designed legal regime for powered transporters. This means that they are covered by the same laws and regulations that apply to all motor vehicles.

The definition of “motor vehicle” as set out in the Road Traffic Act 1988 is “any mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads”. There is case law confirming that powered transporters fall within this definition (see section 8 of this information sheet).

The law aims to ensure safety, consistency, and environmental sustainability in the manufacture and use of motor vehicles. Failures to comply with these rules are criminal offences for which users can be arrested and prosecuted

replied on 24/08/2021 22:21

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:12 by Cornersteady

30 KpH! I haven't seen one for sale in the UK that has a top speed more than 15.5 mph (25 Kmh), and legally that is the top speed in the UK under various trail schemes.

While it may be easy it would/may invalidate any warranty and/or insurance.  In the case of my ebike that would certainly apply.

I would be interested to see one  for sale in the UK that has a top speed greater than 15.5 mph? Could you share?

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:21

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 24/08/2021 22:29

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:21 by

I agree that the trial units are restricted as you say however those for sale for use privately on private land are not covered by the same restrictions.  Check it out on any number of sales sites.

Posted on 24/08/2021 22:29

Well easy to show and prove that DD, post a link for one for sale that has a top speed of more 15.5 mph. I've looked at a number of shops or sales sites that sell them but I can't find one above 15.5, so perhaps you can share?

As I said easy to prove you're correct?

Bluemalaga replied on 24/08/2021 23:33

Posted on 24/08/2021 23:33

There are several scooters at 45kph on the market and even more above 15kph

for example

: HUABANCHE
3.0 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews
Electric Scooter Adult Fast 50 Km/h, 500W Motor 13Ah 48V Battery 45 Km Long Range, 10 Inch Off-road Tires Foldable Commuter E-Scooter with Seat for Adults
Electric Scooter Adult Fast 50 Km/h, 500W Motor 13Ah 48V Battery 45 Km Long Range, 10 Inch Off-road Tires Foldable Commuter E-Scooter with Seat for Adults

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook