Covid - news and views

brue replied on 08/02/2021 13:35

Posted on 08/02/2021 13:35

It's good to hear that members of CT are receiving their vaccinations, good luck to all those yet to have theirs. It seems like a long haul till we get everyone sorted and hear the results of the present vaccines. 

I'm leaving this open for non political comments as per the guidelines. Hope you can add your own experiences and thoughts.

My first jab comes up tomorrow, I'm so glad we have research institutions that have got us this far! And I am planning breaks away in the hope of improvements on the horizon.

replied on 04/03/2022 10:54

Posted on 04/03/2022 10:29 by SeasideBill

Good aside, also worth noting that even during the summer months, regular use of sunscreen can reduce vitamin D so supplement could still be worthwhile for some.

Posted on 04/03/2022 10:54

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 04/03/2022 11:44

Posted on 04/03/2022 08:58 by ADP1963

One who lives by the sword .....dies by the sword, we now have the choice to wear a mask rather than compulsion. But have you no noticed the decline of people catching Colds and Flu since the wearing of masks ?

Posted on 04/03/2022 11:44

+1, it’s a fact as you say👍🏻. Flu infections have fallen massively this winter according to the experts. I’ve only had one sniffle this year due to mask wearing, colds & flu use the same mechanism as Covid to enter our bodies & spread so our vigilance re covid has also paid dividends with colds & flu😊. However Covid is more deadly & more transmissible.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/03/2022 13:03

Posted on 04/03/2022 11:44 by Rocky 2 buckets

+1, it’s a fact as you say👍🏻. Flu infections have fallen massively this winter according to the experts. I’ve only had one sniffle this year due to mask wearing, colds & flu use the same mechanism as Covid to enter our bodies & spread so our vigilance re covid has also paid dividends with colds & flu😊. However Covid is more deadly & more transmissible.

Posted on 04/03/2022 13:03

I think, too, Covid precautions have taught us the benefits of improved hand hygiene and keeping our distance from others which help to prevent the spread of bugs. It’s second nature now for me to try not to get close to others and to use hand sanitiser.

JVB66 replied on 04/03/2022 14:37

Posted on 04/03/2022 14:37

It was the same if not more noticeable when all surfaces.and handrails were being wiped on a regular basis the flue and colds infection rates were way down

Wherenext replied on 04/03/2022 14:59

Posted on 04/03/2022 14:59

New timescale on existing rules announced today for Wales. 

If travelling into or stopping in Wales please note mask wearing in shops etc. still in force by law until 28th.March, when it will become advisory.

We've carried on wearing ours in shops this week since coming away to England and found that there is still quite a few people doing likewise in shops. 

ABM replied on 04/03/2022 22:15

Posted on 04/03/2022 07:58 by

If you are really worried dont shop in Crewe now. In Aldi yesterday we were just about the only ones masked up.

Posted on 04/03/2022 22:15

I did my regular shop in Crewe today, David -  fully masked with freshly sanitised masks -- notice I said masks ( Plural ) cos I was using the fairly common blue ones and I had two (!!) of them shed an elastic ear strap thingy surprised - very upsetting since I had newly sorted out my Ready Use stock pile !!

But, as you say, there were only about a third of folks around masked up, and I have to admit, less than that were using the 'trolley sanitising' areas !!  I do have a name or six for them but dare not use such things on here  embarassed  Still ASDA & M & S got my custom today --  Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsbury, Aldi & Lidl  must wait in line --  seldom get into Sandbach to sample Waitrose' delights  wink

replied on 05/03/2022 08:23

Posted on 04/03/2022 22:15 by ABM

I did my regular shop in Crewe today, David -  fully masked with freshly sanitised masks -- notice I said masks ( Plural ) cos I was using the fairly common blue ones and I had two (!!) of them shed an elastic ear strap thingy surprised - very upsetting since I had newly sorted out my Ready Use stock pile !!

But, as you say, there were only about a third of folks around masked up, and I have to admit, less than that were using the 'trolley sanitising' areas !!  I do have a name or six for them but dare not use such things on here  embarassed  Still ASDA & M & S got my custom today --  Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsbury, Aldi & Lidl  must wait in line --  seldom get into Sandbach to sample Waitrose' delights  wink

Posted on 05/03/2022 08:23

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 05/03/2022 09:31

Posted on 05/03/2022 09:31

I had to go for a blood test yesterday at the surgery. Sitting waiting for the test it was interesting to observe other patients coming in for an appointment. If you wear a mask nowhere else you would surely expect to wear one in a medical situation? One guy came in with no mask was given one by the receptionist. Another lady had hers draped round her chin! I don't like wearing a mask but will do so if it protects me. I have already damaged two pairs of glasses by dropping them onto concrete whilst putting on or taking off a mask. I have reverted to using peeper keepers so as not to damage them anymore!

David

Metheven replied on 05/03/2022 10:00

Posted on 05/03/2022 10:00

If or when Hospitals dictate the wearing of masks is not a requirement, only then will I relax the wearing of mine. I'll take my lead from them.

Takethedogalong replied on 05/03/2022 10:39

Posted on 05/03/2022 10:39

Same here Metheven. Throughout this we have a best friend who has been in and out of hospital constantly with a serious kidney condition. In 2020 he acquired C19 whilst in hospital, and it was touch and go he would survive. He was allowed no visitors, that put tremendous strain on his loved ones. Thankfully he did survive, but took months to recover from COVID after effects. He’s back in at the moment, we cannot see him, only his wife, who has to test every day, take proof of a negative test, and then she gets an allocated one hour slot to be with him. The stress and strain on her is dreadful. We are happy that hospitals are keeping such requirements in place. Also very pleased that rates generally are coming down and folks getting a bit of normality back. Long may it continue, but I spare a small thought for those who cannot yet return to getting out and about normally, with or without a mask.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook