When is a rule not a rule?

Bazdownes replied on 19/04/2022 17:15

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:15

Just got back from Cromer Seacroft site where there are two notices at the entry stating “Sorry no arrivals before 1.00pm”. However on at least two occasions we witnessed people, not only arriving before 1.00pm but being booked in and allowed on site, why do I bother timing my journeys and / or stopping in lay-bys to ensure I arrive after the advertised time when the rule is so blatantly ignored by others (including the wardens who allow it to happen)? 🤬

Tinwheeler replied on 19/04/2022 17:26

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:26

I agree it seems unfair and inconsistent on the face of it but did you speak to the wardens to find out the actual facts? There could be numerous reasons why those people were given dispensation and the wardens deemed it best to admit them.

Without knowing the full story it's easy to jump to conclusions and pass judgement on a situation.

Bazdownes replied on 19/04/2022 17:31

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:31

Easter Monday, three units pitching up at 12.10pm and another four queuing up at reception? Seems a lot of people get dispensation???

Cornersteady replied on 19/04/2022 17:34

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:34

You have a very good point and it is incredibly annoying. These people are just plain selfish and there has been numerous threads about this including what sanctions could be applied. The only thing I might say is that the new 13:00 arrival time hasn't been in operation across all club sites and maybe it hasn't filtered down to everyone and wardens have been advised to be lenient till it does but it is clearly stated on the booking email so not really an excuse. It should be adhered to.

In my view they should simply be turned away once this grace period is over, plenty of room at Cromer to do that. Once that is done a few times the problem should stop. 

Some will now post about how if there pitches... or in certain sites places it is allowed... but that is all irrelevant in my view. People has joined the club of their own free will and click on the 'I will abide by the club rules' button when making a booking. If they don't like the rules and booking in times (which are still a lot better than most) then don't join or choose a club site.

Tinwheeler replied on 19/04/2022 17:47

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:31 by Bazdownes

Easter Monday, three units pitching up at 12.10pm and another four queuing up at reception? Seems a lot of people get dispensation???

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:47

What Corners has posted makes absolute sense but, in this instance, you don't know the facts so it pays to keep an open mind.

eurortraveller replied on 19/04/2022 17:53

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:15 by Bazdownes

Just got back from Cromer Seacroft site where there are two notices at the entry stating “Sorry no arrivals before 1.00pm”. However on at least two occasions we witnessed people, not only arriving before 1.00pm but being booked in and allowed on site, why do I bother timing my journeys and / or stopping in lay-bys to ensure I arrive after the advertised time when the rule is so blatantly ignored by others (including the wardens who allow it to happen)? 🤬

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:53

Why are you so cross? How did their early arrival inconvenience you?  Relaxation is good for your health.

JVB66 replied on 19/04/2022 18:43

Posted on 19/04/2022 18:43

Since the  earliest arr time of 1300arr time has been introduced across the majority of the network ,site staff have been lenient on sites that were 1200 arrivals before this year,

Seacroft has been 1300 arrival time for the last 3 yrs ,as shown on everyone's booking acceptance 

as has FM but both sites that we use quite often, have the inconsiderate early arrivals

Seacroft there is a problem with arrivals blocking Runton road and Ferry Meadows blocking Ham Lane 

Great Yarmouth Race course was untill this year 1200 arrival time one arrived at  0905 this Easter Sat but was sent packing by the staff, several others were arriving before 1200 all have been advised  that this would be the last year that they would be allowed on as some had 1200 on their bookings 

To help the site staff from having to be very diplomatic , the club should have sent emails and letters to all,members advising of the earliest arrivals are now 1300 arrival time unless the time on the booking acknowledgement shows different 

Bazdownes replied on 19/04/2022 18:48

Posted on 19/04/2022 17:53 by eurortraveller

Why are you so cross? How did their early arrival inconvenience you?  Relaxation is good for your health.

Posted on 19/04/2022 18:48

I am cross because I stick to the rules which means I lose out on valuable time relaxing on site, whereas people like you obviously have no respect for rules, or other members, and arrive on site at whatever time suits you.
One unfortunate side effect of the pandemic is that it appears to have accelerated the “I’m alright **** the rest of them” attitude in this country, as has clearly been displayed here.

Tinwheeler replied on 19/04/2022 18:58

Posted on 19/04/2022 18:48 by Bazdownes

I am cross because I stick to the rules which means I lose out on valuable time relaxing on site, whereas people like you obviously have no respect for rules, or other members, and arrive on site at whatever time suits you.
One unfortunate side effect of the pandemic is that it appears to have accelerated the “I’m alright **** the rest of them” attitude in this country, as has clearly been displayed here.

Posted on 19/04/2022 18:58

Wow! Time to relax, methinks. 

I don’t see anyone defending rule breaking or demonstrating the attitude you describe but folk are simply attempting to explain what might have happened and pointing out there’s no point in getting your underwear in a twist about it. 

SeasideBill replied on 19/04/2022 19:02

Posted on 19/04/2022 19:02

Yes, very annoying, but no shortage of folks who behave like that - always have, always will. However, if the rule isn’t enforced you’ve got 2 options - leave the Club or just accept that life’s a ***** and get over it. Still much better than living in Ukraine!

KeefySher replied on 19/04/2022 19:28

Posted on 19/04/2022 19:28

You could write to your PM / MP, the rot starts at the top tongue-out

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook