New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

Takethedogalong replied on 15/01/2022 16:23

Posted on 15/01/2022 14:13 by young thomas

The thing is, unless you're an overseas newbie, most folk 'might' book their ferry with the club (or BF if you have a discount code) but most savvy travellers will deal either directly with a site (for longer term stays) as we have done or not book at all (applies to most of the year) and just pitch up as and when, confident that there will be a pitch...

of course, for some there will be the comfort of booking through 'their club' and having everything lined up well in advance, even though there are better deals out there and a much, much wider choice than that offered by CAMC.

I don't doubt (one for JVC there😉) the club's offering might consist of tried and tested sites, but such a small number 'in the book' cant cover such a large area as France and Spain.

so, I can't say how well the website performed for us as we booked with BF and directly with our long term site for the first part of our break.

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:23

Thank you BB. We are savvy UK tourers, so the new UK based system will only form a small part of our bookings, as we book late usually, and mix our providers. But, as you say, a bonus for those who prefer Club based products, and all possible in one basket now.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/01/2022 16:25

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:20 by JollyKernow

I imagine when we go live that DK and his fellow mods will have a sore delete fingerwinkyell

JK

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:25

Indeed. The name change is still a sore point for some umpteen years further on. Does Luddite have one or two “D”s🤣

young thomas replied on 15/01/2022 16:28

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:19 by Takethedogalong

Yep that’s why I posted it JK, to illustrate what could be done via the new system😂 and get back on topic. I was hoping someone had used the Overseas version that has been live for a while, and could add something to the discussion.

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:28

I'd say 'touring' overseas falls into two categories, folk book one long term site (perhaps with a couple of stopovers) or tour extensively, often stopping just one or two nights then moving on to discover more on an ad hoc basis.

the former may be a valid example using the new overseas system but is hardly a 'tour'...the later, which may involve many sites (but of unknown length of stay) won't really work, especially with a limited list of sites which can't be traversed with such short stays between moving on.

there will, no doubt, be folk who do book a string of sites on a European tour, where the number of nights is known months prior to booking, but IMHO most of the contributors on CT don't do it that way...Europe means freedom...from schedules..

Takethedogalong replied on 15/01/2022 16:37

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:37

Much how I saw things Overseas BB. We actually tour similar here (in normal times). So while the one stop shop approach for Club Site bookings is progress, it won’t really affect us much. But might prove really handy for those who like to book lots of sites, lots of dates, all in one go. The two differences being you can now book your dates and sites in one go, but you have to pay a deposit for everything. At least it comes off the other end when final payment is due.

Takethedogalong replied on 15/01/2022 16:53

Posted on 15/01/2022 14:35 by eurortraveller

Ttda, As it’s you who is asking …I would help if I could., but even after all those years overseas since 1972 I can’t say I ever booked overseas sites with the Club - and like many other people I rarely booked overseas sites at all.   But it might be worth asking again in the overseas section if you would like advice about it.
Best regards to you.

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:53

Thanks EuroT, it was more the “mechanics” of the new system I though might interest others, before it goes live for UK. Like you, we are very much independent travellers.
Sounds like it is a handy “comfort zone” and makes things easy, so long as you are happy with Club Sites.👍 And happy and able to pay the upfront deposits.

DavidKlyne replied on 15/01/2022 19:53

Posted on 15/01/2022 16:20 by JollyKernow

I imagine when we go live that DK and his fellow mods will have a sore delete fingerwinkyell

JK

Posted on 15/01/2022 19:53

JK

We will have to wait and see. So far I think this discussion has generally been conducted in the way that most would hope it would be. Whilst I appreciate there are limits on what you can tell us I hope I am not alone in appreciating what you have been able to share with us. If members don't know by now that the system is going to change the Club have a serious communication problem. Until it comes into action I suppose its all been a bit academic and it will only be when it starts to hit the pocket with people having to pay a deposit that some will wake up and smell the coffee! From what we have heard so far from contributors on here and other Social Media opinion is divided but I would guess a majority accepting the need whilst not particularly liking it? I think the name change was a completely different thing as it came as a big surprise to most and many thought it unnecessary, not helped by the flowery way they Club explained it. Charging deposits is a more nuts and bolts change.

David 

JVB66 replied on 15/01/2022 21:14

Posted on 15/01/2022 19:53 by DavidKlyne

JK

We will have to wait and see. So far I think this discussion has generally been conducted in the way that most would hope it would be. Whilst I appreciate there are limits on what you can tell us I hope I am not alone in appreciating what you have been able to share with us. If members don't know by now that the system is going to change the Club have a serious communication problem. Until it comes into action I suppose its all been a bit academic and it will only be when it starts to hit the pocket with people having to pay a deposit that some will wake up and smell the coffee! From what we have heard so far from contributors on here and other Social Media opinion is divided but I would guess a majority accepting the need whilst not particularly liking it? I think the name change was a completely different thing as it came as a big surprise to most and many thought it unnecessary, not helped by the flowery way they Club explained it. Charging deposits is a more nuts and bolts change.

David 

Posted on 15/01/2022 21:14

Very big nuts and bolts needed surprised

cyberyacht replied on 16/01/2022 11:50

Posted on 16/01/2022 11:50

This is indeed likely to cause a far greater reaction, once it comes on-stream, than the name change which was merely cosmetic branding aka 'rearranging the Titanic deckchairs"

Tinwheeler replied on 16/01/2022 12:00

Posted on 16/01/2022 12:00

Let's hope the club pulls out all the stops to ensure every member knows the full detail before it goes live, CY.

Judging by the name change furore, I expect manifold threats of leaving the club, comments about court action and 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' responses😁

PS. For the record, I am not pro the change but see no point in raising my blood pressure over it.

Cornersteady replied on 16/01/2022 12:06

Posted on 16/01/2022 11:50 by cyberyacht

This is indeed likely to cause a far greater reaction, once it comes on-stream, than the name change which was merely cosmetic branding aka 'rearranging the Titanic deckchairs"

Posted on 16/01/2022 12:06

Not sure of the analogy there CY, the Titanic was going to sink, are you saying the club is going to sink or get into financial trouble?

To be honest you've been saying that for a number of years and the opposite has happened? But to be equally fair this could be the time and this could be the cause- but I doubt it. Time will tell.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook