New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

young thomas replied on 10/01/2022 17:13

Posted on 10/01/2022 15:30 by Huw Edwards

Well that is your opinion. I'm lucky enough to be able to plan my year ahead with some certainty and I make few changes over that period anyway .. so I'm anticipating little impact on me. Or would you prefer a system that only opens up all pitches 3 weeks ahead and go back to the free for all that we had a few years ago which clogged up the CAMH booking system? For me, be it 36, 24,12, 6 or 3 weeks ahead I can (largely) cope with that but it won't solve the problem of those who missed out on booking a pitch because they weren't organised enough to log-on in time....

Posted on 10/01/2022 17:13

Huw, others are the complete opposite...even though I'm retired and use the van for about 30 weeks a year, there's no way that I'd be inking in all those at the beginning of a year...I can't think of anything worse...

we go when (and where) the sun shines, along with a booking somewhere for New Year...however, we do have 4 sites (not all Club) booked in a string in June to coincide with a concert but that is a rarity...other than our ferry in January.

we don't do extremely popular sites, nor at peak periods, usually deciding where the next excursion will be just a week or two before we go...so, this means pretty much all of our bookings will booked inside the new notice period..but this also means we will have committed to going (as much as is possible)...

JVB66 replied on 10/01/2022 17:24

Posted on 10/01/2022 17:06 by DavidKlyne

Huw

I suppose the Club can only give the broad details of cancellations. We tend to book fairly late and often find that not all days are available so we book what is available and keep an eye on availability., over the coming days and weeks If I see the whole period I want is free I would cancel the odd days and then book the complete period I want. In the eyes of the Club I have made a cancellation, maybe more than one if I booked odd days at separate times. So am I part of the problem? The Club have gained more from my perseverance! I can't recall a time when I have booked a site just in case.

Perhaps the current system is just a victim of it's own success in that allowing members to book a year ahead it encourages optimism with people fully intending to honour bookings until something better comes up? Some on here have admitted that they book a couple of slots at the same campsite in the full knowledge that one booking will be cancelled. Despite all this discussion we will have to wait and see how it pans out as I don't image the Club is about to make major changes until they have more data on how the system is running.

David

Posted on 10/01/2022 17:24

David

With the scramble for pitches as we found last year ,and will I would think be the same until many members are willing to dip their toes overseas when we have learnt to  live with covid

It is not a good avenue to take by cancelling and then trying to rebook as we found out last year, as others fingers are also hovering ,waiting for pitches to appear ,especially near or during peak periods

We have learnt to just book the day/days to fill in the days needed and let the site staff sort it when arriving on the first day

young thomas replied on 10/01/2022 17:37

Huw

I suppose the Club can only give the broad details of cancellations. We tend to book fairly late and often find that not all days are available so we book what is available and keep an eye on availability., over the coming days and weeks If I see the whole period I want is free I would cancel the odd days and then book the complete period I want. In the eyes of the Club I have made a cancellation, maybe more than one if I booked odd days at separate times. So am I part of the problem? The Club have gained more from my perseverance! I can't recall a time when I have booked a site just in case.

Perhaps the current system is just a victim of it's own success in that allowing members to book a year ahead it encourages optimism with people fully intending to honour bookings until something better comes up? Some on here have admitted that they book a couple of slots at the same campsite in the full knowledge that one booking will be cancelled. Despite all this discussion we will have to wait and see how it pans out as I don't image the Club is about to make major changes until they have more data on how the system is running.

David

Posted on 10/01/2022 17:37

David, what happens if those missing days don't materialise? You've then got a part holiday for which you've now paid a deposit...

if you cancel, you lose it, if you go away you'll have gaps in the holiday or it will start or end on days you hadn't originally planned.

if this holiday is part of a (distant) tour then this exacerbates the issue...

between a rock and a hard place?

ErnieJH replied on 10/01/2022 18:33

Huw

David

Posted on 10/01/2022 18:33

This one of my concerns about the new system as I have often had to do this, of course once you are within the 21 day period you will end up losing your deposit if you can't get all the days you want. Also if you manage to achieve a full week as I have often done will they refund the excess deposit!!

SteveL replied on 10/01/2022 18:52

Posted on 10/01/2022 18:33 by ErnieJH

This one of my concerns about the new system as I have often had to do this, of course once you are within the 21 day period you will end up losing your deposit if you can't get all the days you want. Also if you manage to achieve a full week as I have often done will they refund the excess deposit!!

Posted on 10/01/2022 18:52

Also if you manage to achieve a full week as I have often done will they refund the excess deposit!!

Surely the £25 deposits will just mean your final bill will be smaller, when they combine all the bookings on arrival

Tinwheeler replied on 10/01/2022 19:01

Posted on 10/01/2022 18:33 by ErnieJH

Posted on 10/01/2022 19:01

As Steve said, it’ll mean less to pay at the time so why worry?

Why not wait and read the details of the scheme when the T&Cs are released as I’m sure everyone's queries will then be resolved. To try to work out answers now is just speculating and we know where speculative activities end - in tears!🤪

KjellNN replied on 10/01/2022 19:26

Posted on 10/01/2022 17:37 by young thomas

David, what happens if those missing days don't materialise? You've then got a part holiday for which you've now paid a deposit...

if you cancel, you lose it, if you go away you'll have gaps in the holiday or it will start or end on days you hadn't originally planned.

if this holiday is part of a (distant) tour then this exacerbates the issue...

between a rock and a hard place?

Posted on 10/01/2022 19:26

Indeed, especially for those of us who have further to travel to where sites are more plentiful.

I think, for us,, if the site cannot initially be booked for the dates we want, we would just look for an alternative, could not be bothered with trying to add days as they become  available, far too risky in future.

JollyKernow replied on 10/01/2022 19:26

Posted on 10/01/2022 19:26

It's still good to discuss though TW. It's also good to see different posters coming on to this thread (no disrespect intended). There's been some good points raised on this and other threads which I've found useful and I've taken questions to our regular zoom training things even though everything has already been noted by someone looking inwink

JK

Arch replied on 10/01/2022 19:58

Posted on 10/01/2022 19:58

I've found if you come out of this discussion its difficult to find it through the discussions page not even through recent activity, lucky for me DK had posted a link on another post that had started 

Tinwheeler replied on 10/01/2022 20:02

Posted on 10/01/2022 19:26 by JollyKernow

It's still good to discuss though TW. It's also good to see different posters coming on to this thread (no disrespect intended). There's been some good points raised on this and other threads which I've found useful and I've taken questions to our regular zoom training things even though everything has already been noted by someone looking inwink

JK

Posted on 10/01/2022 20:02

So are you saying the club hasn’t thought things through in detail yet, JK, and is relying on folk asking 'what if' questions here? That shocks me!

I agree about seeing different posters but it’s a shame they don’t contribute elsewhere on the forum and probably won’t continue posting once this change becomes history.😕

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook