New Site Booking System

DavidKlyne replied on 25/11/2021 11:54

Posted on 25/11/2021 11:54

The Club have released more details of the new Booking System here 

There are still finer details still to be arrived but the link (thanks Harry) sets out how the new system will work.

I have closed the previous thread on when we will get details of the new booking system and opened this one to allow comments specifically on the new system rather than discussing what they might be.

David

Cornersteady replied on 10/01/2022 12:30

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:21 by Navigateur

I have had a look at that.  £100 excess means most booking would not be covered unless cancellation was between the credit card being debited the day before and the non-arrival.  Seventeen day trip limit can be extended for more premium on top of the £270.

Think I'll just stick with throwing away the deposit if anything goes wrong!

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:30

Hey do as you wish, I'm not on commission from the post office nor suggesting anyone should get it, I was simply answering K's query.

As I said we have it in place for the holiday cottages that we're using a lot now and where the costs are far higher. Although I remember paying quite a high three figure sum for 17 days at the Cromer site in 2019.

JollyKernow replied on 10/01/2022 12:37

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:08 by JVB66

Other posters have mentioned insurance,  just replied as a general post,

we have noticed just how many people when on sites ,do tend to ask when they see a mobility scooter and we are sitting out,   (OH tends to find it easier to sit on hers),if we use our caravan often, ,when we have explained that we tour a lot.  ,but not sure about the future ,with the possible deposits system ,they nearly always say  they would not be able to get away,  because they may need to adjust or cancel at short notice, unless deposits are refundable, 

It very much needs clarification for that very reason ,

Not because of ours and it seems many others situation,,

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:37

Morning

I understand your and "it seems many others" perceived situation. I also understand your long term membership status. But, we are now entering a new era of the Caravan and Motorhome Club which includes a new system to book pitches (still in April by the way). If you have to cancel within the time period (not amend) the deposit will be forfeit. There will be however a dedicated channel to discuss personal circumstance if you feel you'd like that deposit back. I don't know details but I'm just letting you know.

Just for the record I look on other media including the busiest from Motorhome Fun and in my opinion the overall majority of people are all for the new deposit system not the "vocal minority" you mention.

JK

SteveL replied on 10/01/2022 12:39

Posted on 10/01/2022 11:41 by brue

We've done this once Kj, for an expensive trip to Shetland which included two ferry journeys (and more!) Obviously you have to decide on the excess so it might not be worth it in most circumstances. 

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:39

Indeed. Especially if they modelled any offering along the lines of their overseas insurance. When we cancelled an over there booking with red pennant the excesses totalled £110. Add on the expense of the insurance and your deposit loss would have to be very large indeed to make it worthwhile.

Navigateur replied on 10/01/2022 12:53

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:53

My point on the PO insurance is that while it is representative of UK travel insurance, it really is not tailored to the protection of deposits on caravan site bookings (especially when the full amount has not yet been paid).  The best organisation to offer cover would be The Caravan Club themselves since they already have some considerable experience in insurance products, plus they have the customers' attention at point of booking.

All it would require is an option button to select "deposit protection" and the addition of the appropriate fee.  We could well discuss what others on here think would a suitable fee per booking.  Or could the Club simply incorporate deposit protection in all bookings?  

Arch replied on 10/01/2022 13:05

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:05

I don't think insurance is a practical solution as there are so many situations that come along in life not just personal but family issues that can cause a holiday to be cancelled, for the cost of a camping holiday the insurance cost would outweigh the loss.

I suspect a lot of forward booking by long stay members is to ensure a full 2-3 week stay before the weekends are blocked,I believe the weekend block bookings will continue and pitch availability still be a problem.

KjellNN replied on 10/01/2022 13:12

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:53 by Navigateur

My point on the PO insurance is that while it is representative of UK travel insurance, it really is not tailored to the protection of deposits on caravan site bookings (especially when the full amount has not yet been paid).  The best organisation to offer cover would be The Caravan Club themselves since they already have some considerable experience in insurance products, plus they have the customers' attention at point of booking.

All it would require is an option button to select "deposit protection" and the addition of the appropriate fee.  We could well discuss what others on here think would a suitable fee per booking.  Or could the Club simply incorporate deposit protection in all bookings?  

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:12

I agree.....insurance,unless possibly offered by the club, does not seem the way to go here.

The premiums on the Post Office one would probably be more than the deposits lost, and the length of trip covered is insufficient for us.

Not really suitable for touring holidays.

SteveL replied on 10/01/2022 13:16

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:05 by Arch

I don't think insurance is a practical solution as there are so many situations that come along in life not just personal but family issues that can cause a holiday to be cancelled, for the cost of a camping holiday the insurance cost would outweigh the loss.

I suspect a lot of forward booking by long stay members is to ensure a full 2-3 week stay before the weekends are blocked,I believe the weekend block bookings will continue and pitch availability still be a problem.

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:16

Block booking is such an emotive term. Surely if 50 or so folk book the weekend at a particular site, they are just bookings. Even though the weekend may show as unavailable for anyone wanting a longer stay. They are probably working in the week and fancy a weekend break.
We book 6 / 7 weekends in a row at different sites during our tours. Perhaps we are guilty of block booking.🤔

KjellNN replied on 10/01/2022 13:21

Posted on 10/01/2022 12:39 by SteveL

Indeed. Especially if they modelled any offering along the lines of their overseas insurance. When we cancelled an over there booking with red pennant the excesses totalled £110. Add on the expense of the insurance and your deposit loss would have to be very large indeed to make it worthwhile.

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:21

Agree Steve.   We stopped booking crossings where we could not afford to lose the fare, or were not able to cancel for a small fee, something like £20, and as we did not book sites, we just waited till we were sure we would be travelling to buy the RP insurance.

Have prices on RP  not gone silly now for the over 70s?      Not been abroad since 2017.

young thomas replied on 10/01/2022 13:23

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:23

JK posted..."If you have to cancel within the time period (not amend) the deposit will be forfeit."

perhaps you've answered my earlier question?...changing to a different site and/or a later date seems to me like you would use the same 'rolled on' deposit?

KjellNN replied on 10/01/2022 13:23

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:16 by SteveL

Block booking is such an emotive term. Surely if 50 or so folk book the weekend at a particular site, they are just bookings. Even though the weekend may show as unavailable for anyone wanting a longer stay. They are probably working in the week and fancy a weekend break.
We book 6 / 7 weekends in a row at different sites during our tours. Perhaps we are guilty of block booking.🤔

Posted on 10/01/2022 13:23

It is a problem when every week has a weekend!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook