New Booking System

Rowena replied on 14/09/2022 09:31

Posted on 14/09/2022 09:31

Good morning. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience being caused with the implementation of our new booking system. Members and guests are able to make bookings through the new system however this is not the complete experience we have designed. 

Please be assured our IT and Technical Teams are working extremely hard to resolve all of the issues as soon as possible.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 17/11/2022 11:57

Posted on 17/11/2022 10:12 by Tinwheeler

I agree, Rocky. If CAMC mends its ways and achieves some order out of the chaotic disorganised place it's become, including the booking system, then why not rejoin? Never say never. Like you, I don't have an issue with deposits, only with the woolliness of the T&Cs.

Posted on 17/11/2022 11:57

I did & will miss using CAMC sites tinny I’ll not deny it. I appreciated the feeling of it being well run by committed staff(never met a wrong un btw) things were done when I expected them to be done. Nothing jarred & the surroundings were mainly better than acceptable. I never wanted cheap & cheerful that others provided that & are doing so now. But I shouldn’t have to Wade thru glitches & bugs. Using my phone is my goto I pay a lot for a super functional phone just to be let down by buggy systems. I won’t & don’t go out on a jaunt carrying a Lappy👎🏻

Cornersteady replied on 17/11/2022 12:15

Posted on 17/11/2022 11:12 by SteveL

and as for using this clubs WiFi when on site to make a booking it is unusable

Well this was true before the new booking system. The club's on site wifi (I have given up on it) has nothing to do with the new booking system. 

No it really is unusable now CS, or at least the free side is. When tried in September / October it wouldn’t access the booking system at all, just kept crashing. The old system used to work fine.

As to the paid side, I doubt it would work  very well, as speeds are generally only 1 / 2 mbs. This was adequate for the old booking system, but not the new one, which seems happier with over 5mbs.

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:15

Ok thanks Steve

moulesy replied on 17/11/2022 12:15

Posted on 17/11/2022 11:43 by

Well John it looks draconian to me too. I booked a room at an airport hotel and when the flight was cancelled was able to cancel the room at no cost up to 24 hours. I don't know what the statistics are but just looking around club sites it seems the older generation predominate especially mid week and if they due to  health issues are driven away the CAMC is going to lose a lot of business . If this is really a Club then the interests of its members should be guiding decisions like this and it seems they have not

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:15

But when you book an airport hotel, as we have also done and had to cancel, there are probably a dozen or more alternatives within a radius of a mile or so, so it's little surprise they offer such generous terms! Doesn't seem to me a fair comparison. wink

Reading this thread as an outsider now a couple of things strike me - firstly, regardless of the apparent cock up in introducing the new system,  there is no doubt that the t&c are considerably more generous than most other comparable and alternative forms of holiday accommodation - when we book cottages it is not unusual to pay a 25% non returnable deposit and the balance anything like a couple of months in advance. And similarly for overseas packages.

And secondly, it seems the argument is that any possible disadvantage is greatest for those of, shall we say, a certain vintage. But many earlier threads, if my memory is correct have criticised the advantage those very folk enjoy over younger, working families; a common comment was that more needed to be done to encourage them and make it possible for them to book sites. Isn't that what the new t&c are intended to do?

Strange old world, ain't it? undecided

Cornersteady replied on 17/11/2022 12:28

Posted on 17/11/2022 11:43 by

Well John it looks draconian to me too. I booked a room at an airport hotel and when the flight was cancelled was able to cancel the room at no cost up to 24 hours. I don't know what the statistics are but just looking around club sites it seems the older generation predominate especially mid week and if they due to  health issues are driven away the CAMC is going to lose a lot of business . If this is really a Club then the interests of its members should be guiding decisions like this and it seems they have not

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:28

You've mentioned this before David and likewise when we flew out we also had the same arrangement, but that arrangement cost more, if we had chosen a pay upfront on booking we would have got it about £10 per person cheaper.

But really I would say the the comparisons different T&Cs is just pointless, they are what they are and all one can do is accept them or go elsewhere as Rocky points out.

As to the club losing out, that doesn't add up on a few levels. Club sites are far busier at weekends with younger and working people so they are losing out much less.

Also if people are being driven away  where are they going to go? It is obvious  that other comparable providers are even worse T&Cs than the clubs. If someone as described by JVB cancels all they will lose is the deposit but on other providers it has to be paid upfront and they would lose everything

replied on 17/11/2022 12:41

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:28 by Cornersteady

You've mentioned this before David and likewise when we flew out we also had the same arrangement, but that arrangement cost more, if we had chosen a pay upfront on booking we would have got it about £10 per person cheaper.

But really I would say the the comparisons different T&Cs is just pointless, they are what they are and all one can do is accept them or go elsewhere as Rocky points out.

As to the club losing out, that doesn't add up on a few levels. Club sites are far busier at weekends with younger and working people so they are losing out much less.

Also if people are being driven away  where are they going to go? It is obvious  that other comparable providers are even worse T&Cs than the clubs. If someone as described by JVB cancels all they will lose is the deposit but on other providers it has to be paid upfront and they would lose everything

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:41

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 17/11/2022 12:47

Posted on 17/11/2022 11:31 by JVB66

The USP this club has binned was a very workable system for many of what has been posted several times the demographic of this club as many have said it just needed for the latest cancellation to.be extended from the 72hrs to a longer period

We are still honouring the bookings we have with this club ,and as many we have spoken to on this clubs sites and on a commercial site last weekend most in our age group ,next year will be very interesting as to pitch use with this club 

And it has yet to filter down to members that the mid week discount has also been withdrawn from all sites

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:47

On this non club site you mention, are the T&Cs better there?

Cornersteady replied on 17/11/2022 12:55

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:41 by

You should have tried a bit harder when picking your hotel. I have just looked at Manchester Airport hotels and the majority offer free cancelation without paying extra at the time of booking.. If they didnt we would have gone elsewhere

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:55

Well maybe they weren't at the time? In any case it was the most convenient for the airport and we always choose airport hotels with that in mind, no point otherwise for us. It's location first not counting the pennies.

Thanks for looking btw

JVB66 replied on 17/11/2022 13:04

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:47 by Cornersteady

On this non club site you mention, are the T&Cs better there?

Posted on 17/11/2022 13:04

Pass? But at this time of year £5 a night cheaper than where we are now and we had a full service hardstand pitch

The other site we have two bookings for next year  (£10 per night cheaper than the equivalent this clubs site)the owner did not want a deposit and just a phone call as early as possible if we cannot make it

Now that is consideration of the older generation 

The club site we are on now is about a third full? and usually a very popular site not just at weekends

replied on 17/11/2022 13:10

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:55 by Cornersteady

Well maybe they weren't at the time? In any case it was the most convenient for the airport and we always choose airport hotels with that in mind, no point otherwise for us. It's location first not counting the pennies.

Thanks for looking btw

Posted on 17/11/2022 13:10

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JVB66 replied on 17/11/2022 13:12

Posted on 17/11/2022 12:15 by moulesy

But when you book an airport hotel, as we have also done and had to cancel, there are probably a dozen or more alternatives within a radius of a mile or so, so it's little surprise they offer such generous terms! Doesn't seem to me a fair comparison. wink

Reading this thread as an outsider now a couple of things strike me - firstly, regardless of the apparent cock up in introducing the new system,  there is no doubt that the t&c are considerably more generous than most other comparable and alternative forms of holiday accommodation - when we book cottages it is not unusual to pay a 25% non returnable deposit and the balance anything like a couple of months in advance. And similarly for overseas packages.

And secondly, it seems the argument is that any possible disadvantage is greatest for those of, shall we say, a certain vintage. But many earlier threads, if my memory is correct have criticised the advantage those very folk enjoy over younger, working families; a common comment was that more needed to be done to encourage them and make it possible for them to book sites. Isn't that what the new t&c are intended to do?

Strange old world, ain't it? undecided

Posted on 17/11/2022 13:12

Looking at what the situation is now the pendulum has really swung if other it seems find?the other way? In respect of the original demographic of the club ?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook