Joining different clubs

vbfg replied on 04/02/2022 09:48

Posted on 04/02/2022 09:48

Hi all

I have been a CAMC member since I bought my van in 2013 and I have yet to stay on a site which I didn't like so I am not thinking of leaving the Club.  A few years ago, I joined the CCC as well for 12 months, but left as when I joined, I was not aware that many of their sites have a minimum of 3 nights and as I was still working midweek at the time, found that it was not very suitable.  I am now retired so thinking of rejoining, however, after reading on this discussion group about many bad reviews on Trustpilot, I had a look at some of them and was very surprised as they appear at odds with the reviews of their sites on their web page.  I know that many of you are members of both Clubs and was wondering what your views about the "other" Club are

Navigateur replied on 04/02/2022 09:58

Posted on 04/02/2022 09:58

Absolutely fine in the Camping Club.  All the tents provide a bit of variety.  I'm more interested in where the site is located and the view from the pitch than the things complained about in reviews, which I think are very seldom taken up with the particular club at management level anyway.   

DavidKlyne replied on 04/02/2022 10:09

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:09

In fairness to the C&CC I don't think the bad reviews on Trustpilot are much to do with their campsites but more to do with the organisation itself. They came in for a lot of criticism on the way they handled the pandemic, at least initially. They are not, it seems, as professionally run as the CMC and their online operation leaves a lot to be desired.  However none of that should impact on staying at their campsites. Whilst we have been members of the CMC for about 40 years we have only been C&CC members for 11 years. The last two years we have not used any of their sites but have recently booked a couple which are in good places for a tour we have planned. If they have sites in places you would like to visit why not rejoin and give it a go.

David

JVB66 replied on 04/02/2022 10:09

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:09

Many  negative reviews of any sites when reading them seem to be from those who had either not asked the site staff ,if the problem could be addressed or was a self inflicted situation ,and they had then an axe to grindundecided

Takethedogalong replied on 04/02/2022 10:12

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:12

Trustpilot reviews are usually about the organisation as a whole, and will include stuff unrelated to the actual Sites in a lot of instances. So whilst giving peoples thoughts about the organisation in general, they might not reflect the experience of being on an individual Site. 

It depends what you consider important to you at the end of the day. If it’s just Sites, then I personally would go with Site reviews rather than TP. You also need to pick out the dross reviews (and there will be some) and the overpraising “can do no wrong” types and  make an informed decision for yourself. 

Both Club’s have Sites reviewed elsewhere (UKcampsites, PitchUp, etc…) and these can often be slightly more objective.

That said, if an organisation is going to commit to Trustpilot, it does need to put some effort in! One Club clearly does, the other doesn’t appear to have embraced the idea yet!😉

brue replied on 04/02/2022 10:37

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:37

Until the Trustpilot reviews were mentioned by DK in another thread I've never given them much attention. It's a pity the C&Cc haven't either! I  look at reviews elsewhere. We joined both clubs at the same time, years ago, they're different but compliment each other. The minimum stays are a bit of a drawback but the Temporary Holiday Sites are a bonus so it just adds choice being in two clubs.

eurortraveller replied on 04/02/2022 10:40

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:40

vbfg,, I agree with other comments - two Clubs gives you more choice than one. And as soon as you look beyond the Club networks you have even more choice still. SearchFor Sites, Campercontact, PitchUp, and UKCS will all give you ideas where you might go. 

Tinwheeler replied on 04/02/2022 10:54

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:54

My gripe with C&CC is their restrictive booking practices but the sites themselves are, on the whole, as good as CAMC. Some are a bit quirky and old but, as with this club, they have a refurbishment program ongoing.

Two clubs certainly give you a better choice of site locations, especially in Scotland.

SteveL replied on 04/02/2022 11:34

Posted on 04/02/2022 11:34

We only joined when we switched to a MH 3 years ago. Mainly to give us some fill in sites, as we were moving on a lot more frequently than we did with the caravan. So far we have stayed on about 8 sites and have liked them all, we would use each of them again. The three days clearly does not apply to all sites, or perhaps all times of year. We stopped for 2 nights at Salisbury and Dingwall and 1 night on a camping in the forest.

SeasideBill replied on 04/02/2022 11:58

Posted on 04/02/2022 10:37 by brue

Until the Trustpilot reviews were mentioned by DK in another thread I've never given them much attention. It's a pity the C&Cc haven't either! I  look at reviews elsewhere. We joined both clubs at the same time, years ago, they're different but compliment each other. The minimum stays are a bit of a drawback but the Temporary Holiday Sites are a bonus so it just adds choice being in two clubs.

Posted on 04/02/2022 11:58

I reckon for quantity and range UKCampsite.co.uk probably offer the best review database. Seems to me review sites have an optimum size. Too few and they’re no use, too many and the moaners and weirdos have too much say. Tripadvisor is a good example, it was brilliant when first introduced, now it’s useless. Trustpilot, as good as it is, isn’t really relevant here.

MichaelT replied on 04/02/2022 12:02

Posted on 04/02/2022 12:02

The best thing about the other club are the THS, these are great value and in good places.  Their restrictive booking process and less than useless booking system are what lets it down but age discounts plus other discounts such as 30% off grass pitches make their sites a lot more affordable than the C&MC who seem to be pricing themselves out without any premium coming up for the latest energy hike.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook