Flag poles and flashing lights

Oldgirl and Staffy replied on 13/06/2024 22:11

Posted on 13/06/2024 22:11

We have just returned from a Club site where the van next to us had a flag pole with flashing lights all the way up, and flashing lights around the edge outside their awning.     These faced our awning and were visible when we were sitting outside.  They were still flashing when I visited the facilities block at 2.00am as one is wont to do occasionally....

I really feel the Club ought to issue a policy on these intrusive illuminations not least because all members end up paying the cost of the electricity for their use when they are a distinct nuisance to those of us who enjoy dark skies at night.  Plus,   these lights can trigger epilepsy in sufferers so are more than just an inconvenience to some.

I think I will write to the Club to find out their thinking on this issue.  Whether I get a reply or not remains to be seen...

Tinwheeler replied on 13/06/2024 22:17

Posted on 13/06/2024 22:17

Did you ask your neighbours to kindly turn them off as they were causing you distress?

mickysf replied on 13/06/2024 22:18

Posted on 13/06/2024 22:18

I do agree with some of what you say but I’d suggest the likes should have a turn off time, probably the same as that for noise, think it’s ten pm if memory serves me right. That would satisfy most I think and could be a request made by the club on behalf of much of the membership for the reasons given. 

mickysf replied on 13/06/2024 22:44

Posted on 13/06/2024 22:44

This is the rule 

a. Be mindful of the noise levels on the pitch at all times, ensuring in particular that you do not disturb other guests after 10pm.

May be this rule could be amended to include light disturbance along with noise levels.

Tinwheeler replied on 13/06/2024 23:02

Posted on 13/06/2024 23:02

There’s already something in the rules about respecting the comfort and convenience of others.

Hja replied on 14/06/2024 08:49

Posted on 14/06/2024 08:49

Why are they needed at all? Flags are useful if it is a rally group but otherwise I don’t see why. And I can’t see any need for flashing lights. We need less light not more. I appreciate some will be solar and some 12 v but they generally disturb the peace, quiet and return to nature. Nature doesn’t light itself up.

flatcoat replied on 14/06/2024 08:56

Posted on 14/06/2024 08:56

We were on a private site in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago where they are banned! Thank goodness. We have a PIR activated ‘approach’ light toward the front of the caravan and similar on the service side of the caravan. On some sites in Europe we have been asked to turn those off! Other than that we have 3 low level solar lamps we put by the awning storm straps fit safety. 

DavidKlyne replied on 14/06/2024 09:51

Posted on 14/06/2024 09:51

It seems somewhat ironic that the Club seem to be switching off lights around sites only to allow these monstrosities. What is also puzzling is that the members that construct them can't actually see them, why they think others will enjoy them I have no idea. Also aren't there  some medical conditions which are negatively impacted by flashing lights? Best not to mention wind  socks and flags flapping all night! Perhaps someone who uses one of these poles could explain to us the reasoning behind using them?

David

Oscarmax replied on 14/06/2024 10:00

Posted on 14/06/2024 10:00

A few years ago we said to our friends on site ' I like that scarecrow on the flag pole' a couple of days later on site a flag pole with a scarecrow was sited on our pitch, we have no flashing led lights, don't erect it at full height and take it down when windy, on the plus side all the kids love it.

the browser replied on 14/06/2024 10:46

Posted on 14/06/2024 10:46

To me they are just cheap tat, and the person who puts them up just wants stand out and be noticed. Ban them they degrade the site / club

Oldgirl and Staffy replied on 14/06/2024 13:34

Posted on 14/06/2024 09:51 by DavidKlyne

It seems somewhat ironic that the Club seem to be switching off lights around sites only to allow these monstrosities. What is also puzzling is that the members that construct them can't actually see them, why they think others will enjoy them I have no idea. Also aren't there  some medical conditions which are negatively impacted by flashing lights? Best not to mention wind  socks and flags flapping all night! Perhaps someone who uses one of these poles could explain to us the reasoning behind using them?

David

Posted on 14/06/2024 13:34

You are quite correct David.    These flashing lights can trigger an epileptic fit in those who are susceptible.    I pointed this out to one person and they simply said that their son suffers from ADHD and he likes the lights so they stay.....

There is also the issue of energy costs.   We are all paying for these illuminations whether we like them or not.  As someone else has said, it is ironic that there are signs in all facilities blocks asking people to conserve energy but people ignore that.   On some sites in Europe they are banned. Perhaps the Club should do the same?   At least if they don't want to ban them perhaps they ought to charge a supplement of around £5 a night for the privilege and put all those users of flagpoles and lights in a separate area so they are not a nuisance to others?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook