Exploiting the members

layton1837 replied on 21/01/2022 09:20

Posted on 21/01/2022 09:20

Why is it necessary for the club sites to seek excessive profits on  school holidays. My son has booked a pitch at Brecon beacon site for the Easter holidays. Cost per night for 2 adults and 1 child  £37.80 per night. The following week it would have been £ 27.95. What extra costs does the running of the site between the 2 weeks. .Nothing just exploiting the members because of the school holidays. Yet another excuse to make more money from the members when we already pay a membership fee.

DEBSC replied on 21/01/2022 09:35

Posted on 21/01/2022 09:35

Farmhouse, right or wrong, try to find any holiday business that doesn’t charge more in the school holidays. 

SteveL replied on 21/01/2022 09:36

Posted on 21/01/2022 09:36

I would agree that there is an excessive amount of creep when it comes to peak periods. However, for school holidays themselves, every holiday provider inflates their prices at these times. The club can fill the sites over Easter, even at  the higher prices. It wouldn’t make business sense not to do it. As I say outside of the main holidays when they maintain peak prices I tend to agree, often the sites are nowhere near full, and at these  times the other club has reverted to off peak prices. I know where I would go, but you have to make your own choice.

Metheven replied on 21/01/2022 09:44

Posted on 21/01/2022 09:44

As a business it makes sense.

As a Club and to it's members it's a rip off.

Should the two co-exist to that inflatory rise, I don't think so. There's not much left on offer from CAMC to benefit being a member at present.

SteveL replied on 21/01/2022 09:53

Posted on 21/01/2022 09:53

The following week it would have been £ 27.95.

I think you will find that is mid week only, due to the discount. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are more expensive.

Tinwheeler replied on 21/01/2022 10:12

Posted on 21/01/2022 10:12

Twas ever thus, Farmhouse, as you know from your long experience. 

Meth has put it well.

MichaelT replied on 21/01/2022 10:13

Posted on 21/01/2022 10:13

I am finding the costs of club sites are now way too high in any season to use and with the introduction of deposits will likely cancel our membership.

We are going to Cornwall in August to meet our son and grandkids for a few days on a private site they have booked, cost per night for full hardstanding pitch with EHU is £87 for 3 nights so £29 per night, expensive but it is high season in school holidays. 

We are looking to go to some other sites whilst in the area and looked at Trewethett Farm and a economy non EHU pitch as we do not need hook up and these are right on the cliff, £29.20 per night!!  Standard awning pitch is £35.90 per night. 

These are all for 2 adults so why so high, private site has excellent facilities and in good location near cliffs also.....

young thomas replied on 21/01/2022 10:33

Posted on 21/01/2022 09:36 by SteveL

I would agree that there is an excessive amount of creep when it comes to peak periods. However, for school holidays themselves, every holiday provider inflates their prices at these times. The club can fill the sites over Easter, even at  the higher prices. It wouldn’t make business sense not to do it. As I say outside of the main holidays when they maintain peak prices I tend to agree, often the sites are nowhere near full, and at these  times the other club has reverted to off peak prices. I know where I would go, but you have to make your own choice.

Posted on 21/01/2022 10:33

As Steve says, one of the annoyances about Club pricing is the ever expanding creep of 'higher band' pricing, encompassing more and more days within any given 'premium' period.

'school holidays' seem to include holiday periods from any country in the UK, irrespective of the location of the site, trapping anyone who holidays across a border....well, it's a school holiday somewhere☹️

bank holidays are no longer confined to one or two days and perhaps the contained weekend, but a week or so either side.

Easter, this year covers three 'holidays' over four days in mid April (15th-18th) yet in Clubland 'Easter' lasts for 16 days from 8th-24th...

back in the dim and distant, many working folk took 'Easter Week' off work, I didn't know this holiday was now over a fortnight long💁

Goldie146 replied on 21/01/2022 10:33

Posted on 21/01/2022 10:33

Devils Advocate would say that the prices are not increased in school holidays - they are the normal prices but they are reduced at all other times.

SteveL replied on 21/01/2022 10:35

Posted on 21/01/2022 10:35

Once the CAMC introduces deposits, it will put them on more of a level playing field with other providers and cost will almost certainly be more of an issue. I am certainly prepared to pay more for the current USP. However, one has to be careful with comparisons. Whilst the deposit for a private site might be similar to the club, many require the residual several weeks before arrival. Fine if you are going for a week / two weeks but a bit of a pain if your stringing together 6 weeks worth of short stays.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook