Electric Hook up

John Bray replied on 11/01/2024 12:54

Posted on 11/01/2024 12:54

I don't know if this has been raised before apologies if it has but I've heard a rumour that the club are planning to introduce additional charges on club sites for electricity, I must stress that its only a rumour but I wondered if anyone else had heard similar and if so could the club please either confirm or deny.

Hja replied on 11/01/2024 13:04

Posted on 11/01/2024 13:04

There has been a trial of metering electricity at one site, with reduced pitch fees. I think there was a report on this in the last magazine. The club have also been allowing people on other sites to opt out of hook up with a reduced fee. Unfortunately I think the latter is only over the winter.

I am sure someone will be on here soon to give further chapter and verse. It has been discussed at length on this forum but the chances of finding that threat are slim, due to the poor search facility on CT.

Tinwheeler replied on 11/01/2024 14:16

Posted on 11/01/2024 12:54 by John Bray

I don't know if this has been raised before apologies if it has but I've heard a rumour that the club are planning to introduce additional charges on club sites for electricity, I must stress that its only a rumour but I wondered if anyone else had heard similar and if so could the club please either confirm or deny.

Posted on 11/01/2024 14:16

It is not lawful to charge for the resale of electricity other than by meter and within certain rules. I suspect it is the trial of metering you have heard about. 

See - https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/useful-information/smart-metering-trial/

It has also been discussed several times on this forum.

DavidKlyne replied on 11/01/2024 20:41

Posted on 11/01/2024 12:54 by John Bray

Posted on 11/01/2024 20:41

John

As others have explained the Club are experimenting with the use of metering for electricity usage. That is not an extra charge as there would be a corresponding reduction in site fees to compensate. I think the Club have said that they will review and comment around mid year as to whether the system is expanded to all sites so we will have to wait and see. The Club have made quite a few changes in the last two years and it is sometimes difficult to keep up. Although this forum generally has good discussions on these topics.

David

young thomas replied on 12/01/2024 18:55

Posted on 11/01/2024 20:41 by DavidKlyne

John

As others have explained the Club are experimenting with the use of metering for electricity usage. That is not an extra charge as there would be a corresponding reduction in site fees to compensate. I think the Club have said that they will review and comment around mid year as to whether the system is expanded to all sites so we will have to wait and see. The Club have made quite a few changes in the last two years and it is sometimes difficult to keep up. Although this forum generally has good discussions on these topics.

David

Posted on 12/01/2024 18:55

"That is not an extra charge as there would be a corresponding reduction in site fees to compensate."

I doubt the club would be lowering pitch prices by 'a corresponding amount' for campers on site in the current cold snap.

...and this is the issue....

the summer 'reduction' (based on an average low usage) is so small (£2) it doesn't make club sites attractive compared to other 'non electric' (THS) sites but at least the £2 allows for 5kwh a day so perfectly manageable (no heating etc) for those using electric 'normally'.

OTOH, anyone on site this week and possibly using between 20 and 40 kWh (I seriously doubt folk will be turning the van heating off in this weather even when out for the day) is going to think hard about incurring upto £18 a day (@45p per kWh) electric fees when the max reduction is set at £8....

this means a winter pitch in really cold weather could effectively be £10 more expensive for meter users than it would have been with inclusive leccy.

Just checking the prices of the club site we would be likely to visit in winter, the winter prices are already at around £30 for non new year prices, the thought of these 'off season' prices becoming upto £40 hurts.

with New Year prices now set at 'peak levels' and approaching £40, adding another £10 a night net cost for cold weather metered leccy means daily prices of £50....that's a mighty price for a New Year pitch.

so, where might this leave the club and winter tourers...?

well, I'm definitely in favour of the chance to use metered pitches but (obviously) only on my own terms...and that means I'll use THS sites (as we have plenty of solar and cheap gas) at £10-£15 in summer but, despite being a keen 'off gridder', I can't see us (or anyone else) accepting a £70 a week rise in winter pitch prices for the 'benefit' of metered usage, putting winter touring at CAMC at serious risk as sites move into ever heftier pricing.

im sure some of these issues will come out in the trial but the club has to be realistic about how much electricity members are currently paying for as part of their 'pitch price' and if it wants members believe in the metering approach it needs to be confident that customers understand they really are going to get 'a corresponding reduction in site fees to compensate'....

Fozzie replied on 12/01/2024 21:36

Posted on 12/01/2024 21:36

Excellent post Young Thomas,totally agree with your points,but I would like to add,when on Wyatts Covert you are paying business rate of around 42p per kw.This is a noticeable difference against normal domestic tariffs.

DavidKlyne replied on 13/01/2024 09:04

Posted on 13/01/2024 09:04

I imagine the site fee reductions applied by the Club, where metering is in place,  were a best guess probably based on the average energy usage across the network. The winter reductions seem, to me, quite realistic if I compare with my home usage. Although comparing with home usage is not as straightforward as it may seem as I don't use a washing machine or a dishwasher whilst away and I only have a modestly sized fridge in the motorhome! What we don't know is whether the Club can distinguish between bollard electricity usage and overall site usage? I think it is a shame that it is such a small experiment, especially if it dictates what happens to the whole network. The Club may decide, based on the evidence gathered that the winter reductions are too generous and the summer reductions not generous enough. We will have to wait and see.

David

peedee replied on 13/01/2024 09:44

Posted on 13/01/2024 09:44

The Club is obviously not entirely satisfied with the trial because they have not expanded it to Ashridge Farm as originally stated and they also mention in the January magazine that they intend to enhance the trial at Wyatts Covert from the summer of 2024 before any further decission is taken. Nothing is going to be decided even after a years trial,  in spite of them realising there is a 30 percent saving in consumption to be made. Across the network that would equate to a £1.8 million saving. Difficult to understand their thinking.

peedee

young thomas replied on 13/01/2024 09:54

Posted on 13/01/2024 09:04 by DavidKlyne

I imagine the site fee reductions applied by the Club, where metering is in place,  were a best guess probably based on the average energy usage across the network. The winter reductions seem, to me, quite realistic if I compare with my home usage. Although comparing with home usage is not as straightforward as it may seem as I don't use a washing machine or a dishwasher whilst away and I only have a modestly sized fridge in the motorhome! What we don't know is whether the Club can distinguish between bollard electricity usage and overall site usage? I think it is a shame that it is such a small experiment, especially if it dictates what happens to the whole network. The Club may decide, based on the evidence gathered that the winter reductions are too generous and the summer reductions not generous enough. We will have to wait and see.

David

Posted on 13/01/2024 09:54

Having spent many Spanish winters using metered electric I can say with decent accuracy that anyone running a largish fridge freezer will require around 4 kWh per day, add in some battery charging and tv etc and 5-6 kWh is a fair estimate for a uk summer day. With the club charging 45p per kWh then £2-3 per day is about right....

however, the winter usage can be far more variable...the f/f usage might be a tad less than summer, but lights will be used far more, along with tv...but all this is at the low end...the big variable is whether the weather is mild or severe.

having the heating on for a couple of hours in the evening to take the chill off on a mild winters day is a long way from leaving it on 24x7.

...and this is the difficult part to estimate the 'reduction'.

So, rather than take a top down approach (how much shall we take off for electric, hard to get right) perhaps the club should be looking at a bottom up approach to actually rework all the costs to give an accurate 'non electric' base pitch price. Then there will be a truly accurate equation for customers based on what they use.

Tinwheeler replied on 13/01/2024 10:05

Posted on 13/01/2024 09:44 by peedee

The Club is obviously not entirely satisfied with the trial because they have not expanded it to Ashridge Farm as originally stated and they also mention in the January magazine that they intend to enhance the trial at Wyatts Covert from the summer of 2024 before any further decission is taken. Nothing is going to be decided even after a years trial,  in spite of them realising there is a 30 percent saving in consumption to be made. Across the network that would equate to a £1.8 million saving. Difficult to understand their thinking.

peedee

Posted on 13/01/2024 10:05

PD, maybe I’m missing something but can you explain where the 30% saving in consumption figure comes from, please?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook