Early arrivals - action at last?

Tinwheeler replied on 03/09/2022 12:51

Posted on 03/09/2022 12:51

I’ve said several times when we’ve discussed the issue of early arrivals that, in my opinion, the only effective way to deal with recalcitrant 'offenders' is to apply membership sanctions.

I’ve been reading elsewhere of a CAMC member who, it’s reported, has had his club membership suspended by the Site Manager due to arriving early at Hillhead and refusing to leave despite being requested to do so by that Site Manager.

In this case it seems to have been the member's own lack of planning and forethought which resulted in his early arrival so it’s not a case of there being any extenuating circumstances.

Obviously only one side of the story is given and we need to keep open minds but, if this is factual, it would appear that the club is using its teeth in an effort to enforce the no arrivals before 1300 rule. Perhaps this is what is needed to get the message across.

JVB66 replied on 03/09/2022 13:10

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:10

It may yet trickle down to members  that 1300 earliest arrival time means just that   

there have been on numerous days LVs being refused entry here and being sent away ,even though it involves going through three barriers to exit

Not sure if a site manager can without consulting others  withdraw membership

peedee replied on 03/09/2022 13:17

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:17

I’ve been reading elsewhere of a CAMC member who, it’s reported, has had his club membership suspended by the Site Manager due to arriving early at Hillhead and refusing to leave despite being requested to do so by that Site Manager.

I hope it is true.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 03/09/2022 13:23

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:23

JV, I have a recollection of JK confirming that site managers have the power.

PD, I too hope that membership sanctions being used is true insofar as it means the club is getting to grips with the problem

What a shame, though, that some members can’t simply do as they’re asked and arrive after 1300. 😥

EmilysDad replied on 03/09/2022 13:35

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:35

So ..... how early would you need to be before sanctions were taken? 5mins .... an hour .... 

Cornersteady replied on 03/09/2022 13:36

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:36

I spotted that too, as I read it they were asked to leave by two wardens and refused then asked again by I assume the head warden (site manager) and actually instructed to leave and they again refused and this is when their booking was cancelled and their membership suspended (on a later post they say it's a 14 day initial suspension and Head office been on touch). Also as said it was totally their own fault they knew the time it would take from where they were yet arrived early.  

Well done wardens for me, and hopefully the message will get through.

Cornersteady replied on 03/09/2022 13:38

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:35 by EmilysDad

So ..... how early would you need to be before sanctions were taken? 5mins .... an hour .... 

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:38

Not about arriving early ED,  it's about their refusal to follow the site managers instructions. If they had left when asked there would be no sanction.

Cornersteady replied on 03/09/2022 13:45

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:45

2. Management

b. So everyone can enjoy holidaying on site, please follow the Site Staff’s requests and all notices and instructions. Your health and safety is important, so please take care of yourself and others on the site.

c. If anyone on site disregards these rules and disrupts the enjoyment of others, the Site Staff have the right to ask them to leave the site.

d. Compliance with our Club Site Rules is a condition of membership and a condition of site usage for members and non-members. Those not complying may be reported to the Head of Membership Services. Their membership and access to any of the Club sites and services may be suspended. This could lead to termination of membership. If this happens, refunds of site fees may only be paid by Head Office. Applications for refunds should be addressed to the Head of Membership Services at East Grinstead House

Twos more then one replied on 03/09/2022 13:49

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:49

Good, about time, i hope all site mangers read this post, and do the same
i must admit, early arrives really P me off.  in this day and age with so many navigation aids, apps, devices etc, there is no excuse for being at most,10 mins early 

EmilysDad replied on 03/09/2022 13:56

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:38 by Cornersteady

Not about arriving early ED,  it's about their refusal to follow the site managers instructions. If they had left when asked there would be no sanction.

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:56

They're kinda linked. If you arrived 5 mins early would you really expect to be turned away with the instructions to come back later? An hour early, yes, but 5 or 10mins. 

There was a MH sat at the gate where we are the other day at around 12:30 .... the barrier stayed down & as far as I know the wardens just let them stay there till 13:00 

Tinwheeler replied on 03/09/2022 13:57

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:36 by Cornersteady

I spotted that too, as I read it they were asked to leave by two wardens and refused then asked again by I assume the head warden (site manager) and actually instructed to leave and they again refused and this is when their booking was cancelled and their membership suspended (on a later post they say it's a 14 day initial suspension and Head office been on touch). Also as said it was totally their own fault they knew the time it would take from where they were yet arrived early.  

Well done wardens for me, and hopefully the message will get through.

Posted on 03/09/2022 13:57

Reading it again, Corners, I do wonder if there was an element of contrivance to arrive early, or on the dot of 1300, in this member's actions in order to get a 'best' pitch.

He broke his journey by staying the night at Exeter Racecourse which is only 23 miles and 30/40 mins from Hillhead. Why not continue to Hillhead that day, or would that have meant arriving late in the afternoon when only unfavoured pitches remained vacant?

It doesn’t add up somehow🤔

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook