Clachan Arrival Trial.

DavidKlyne replied on 28/08/2022 00:17

Posted on 28/08/2022 00:17

This link was posted in the General Chat section but I think it would be good repost here as a separate discussion. https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/useful-information/arrival-efficiency-trial-at-clachan/

The Club are going to trial the use of ANPR from 24th August at the Clachan site in Scotland to automate arrivals with the likelihood it will be rolled out to more sites if successful. Some of you may have already used commercial sites where ANRP is employed to access a site. All the details are quite extensively covered in the link. Members will have to make sure their registration number is registered when booking and apparently payment will be taken on the morning of arrival. 

David

brue replied on 28/08/2022 07:03

Posted on 28/08/2022 07:03

Thanks David and TDA (who highlighted this development) there's a lot of info take in but it's an interesting development. smile

SteveL replied on 28/08/2022 08:01

Posted on 28/08/2022 08:01

It’s a good site to trial it on, small but with 5 different pitch types. If with the new booking system I opt to pay before arrival, it would be nice to just drive up to the barrier and be let in. However, I do wonder how successful it would be at a large busy site. When we had a service pitch at Cirencester a few years ago, on several occasions folk started to set up on one of the purple pegs, only to be told to move when they went back to get their barrier card. Quite what part of white peg or red peg (if they had a service pitch) they didn’t understand is a mystery.😂 I know the barrier sign is going to remind them of pitch type and maps will be available, which will probably work at Clachan. However, when the Friday rush occurs at a large site……well I guess we will have to wait and see if the trial progresses that far.

SteveL replied on 28/08/2022 09:31

Posted on 28/08/2022 09:02 by JillwithaJay

I've been on a commercial site with ANPR and, as you say, once you've notified them of your registration number, it works well.

Posted on 28/08/2022 09:31

Certainly where we have come across it (not on a campsite) I have always found it worked OK. However, did the commercial site assign you a pitch number, or were you free to choose from those available? That’s where I see problems arising.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 28/08/2022 09:42

Posted on 28/08/2022 09:02 by JillwithaJay

I've been on a commercial site with ANPR and, as you say, once you've notified them of your registration number, it works well.

Posted on 28/08/2022 09:42

I am a member of forestry commission sites, going in-no problem, coming out-no problem as a member or someone who has bought a pkg ticket, if not then the barrier stays down. ANPR is a superb system, I’ve never known it fail yet. Similar to multi story car parks.

mickysf replied on 28/08/2022 09:59

Posted on 28/08/2022 09:59

Reading the info. about the trial the instructions for the member is clear and comprehensive. I see that they are reminded that the ANPR will be programmed to only operate after that 1pm arrival time. That’s good! To ignore these instructions could possibly negate any benefits of installing.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 28/08/2022 10:03

Posted on 28/08/2022 07:03 by brue

Thanks David and TDA (who highlighted this development) there's a lot of info take in but it's an interesting development. smile

Posted on 28/08/2022 10:03

It was Tinny who made the connection Brue. I’d been informed it was in Scotland but TW did the research👍🏻

DavidKlyne replied on 28/08/2022 10:19

Posted on 28/08/2022 10:19

From reading the details in the link, posted by TDA in General Chat, it seems that you will no longer  need to show a membership card? Given the recent publicity given to the membership card on the App it seems a bit strange, unless the card will be dispensed with? 

I am not even sure that at Clachan there is a reception as don't you have to book in at Maragowan just down the road? So probably a good place to start. I think it will become more complicated as the sites get bigger but if you are saving on average 5/10 minutes at reception compared to the current set up arrivals could be quite smooth. This obviously lessens, quite considerably, the need for contact with site staff. Does this mean that things like site shops and perhaps selling of gas will be a thing of the past?

David

brue replied on 28/08/2022 10:23

Posted on 28/08/2022 10:23

RB2. I was thanking TDA for providing the actual link that DK used but I'm sure TW can take the credits too, so apologies if I've missed anyone else off the list. smile

I was relieved to hear about the 1pm lock but will it prevent people blocking the entrance? I suppose time will tell.

Tinwheeler replied on 28/08/2022 10:25

Posted on 28/08/2022 10:03 by Rocky 2 buckets

It was Tinny who made the connection Brue. I’d been informed it was in Scotland but TW did the research👍🏻

Posted on 28/08/2022 10:25

Cheers, Rocky, but it was only because you'd already posted.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook