Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

Hja replied on 27/08/2024 10:07

Posted on 27/08/2024 04:53 by richardandros

I agree mickysf - that it would be such a shame if we lost NYM - but - as I reported upthread, when we were there last month, it was barely half full for the week we were there.  Compare that with two years previously when, at exactly the same time of year, it was almost full to capacity.

One thing I have noticed is that when we first started going there, the pitch price was well below the average pitch price we paid for all sites during a particular year, whereas now, NYM has become about the average -- and that compares with sites, particularly CLs and CS's that have either fully serviced pitches - or the ability to improvise in that direction.

Although it might not influence us in deciding whether or not to stay there, it might influence others perhaps being perceived as not offering the value for money that it once did. This can only be as a result of a decision by the Club and it seems to me that they have priced themselves out of that particular sector of the market, deliberately or otherwise.

Posted on 27/08/2024 10:07

Yes. The no facility sites used to be a standard price, regardless of how many in the party. Also prices didn’t change much during the year. I wonder if there is a correlation between the change in price regime and lower occupancy?

LPC replied on 27/08/2024 10:46

Posted on 27/08/2024 10:46

Given that some sites lose money they are still used by the membership and as such are useful. Cross substitution is not such a bad thing. After all it is a Club. We could gradually lose site after site if it is based on profit only .The non facility sites are close to CL prices and useful for members that balk at the site prices

Cornersteady replied on 27/08/2024 11:31

Posted on 27/08/2024 10:46 by LPC

Given that some sites lose money they are still used by the membership and as such are useful. Cross substitution is not such a bad thing. After all it is a Club. We could gradually lose site after site if it is based on profit only .The non facility sites are close to CL prices and useful for members that balk at the site prices

Posted on 27/08/2024 11:31

I've posted somewhere upthread that yes the club will is/should use profits from very well used sites for others, however as I said there must come a point when that's just not viable anymore and the club loses money overall. These sites were underperforming for a number of years

Goldie146 replied on 27/08/2024 11:38

Posted on 27/08/2024 11:38

I've just seen a comment on a Facebook group about Englethwaite Hall, saying "shame it's closing". It wasn't on Rowena's original post, so I hope it's just speculation and not true.

It's "no facility" but very well used, being about 6 miles from the M6.

Cornersteady replied on 27/08/2024 11:52

Posted on 27/08/2024 11:38 by Goldie146

I've just seen a comment on a Facebook group about Englethwaite Hall, saying "shame it's closing". It wasn't on Rowena's original post, so I hope it's just speculation and not true.

It's "no facility" but very well used, being about 6 miles from the M6.

Posted on 27/08/2024 11:52

There's been no announcement Goldie so I would think it is fake.

Takethedogalong replied on 27/08/2024 12:16

Posted on 25/08/2024 21:51 by KjellNN

I wonder…..do we have a divide here…….those who are happy to use their own facilities entirely, and those who are possibly happy to empty  shower/kitchen waste and liquid toilet waste but not solids?

I would think that those of us who have been Caravanning/MHing since the 70s are more relaxed on toilet emptying as site facilities were more basic then.

Posted on 27/08/2024 12:16

I’d hesitate to call it a divide, it’s just a choice, but yes, I think more and more Members simply want to roll up, pitch up, plug everything in, and have next to nothing to do in terms of daily chores. Given that the Club’s largest demographic is at the older end of the touring scale, then ditching the proper “camping sites”, and embracing the more “semi residential” set up (a mobile living unit that you simply move from place to place and plug in) does make this easier, and it’s where the money is. Nothing wrong with it, it’s an option. Some will love it, others will walk away.

eurortraveller replied on 27/08/2024 13:25

Posted on 27/08/2024 13:25

The Club has duties and responsibilities to the staff they employ . But expecting staff  to live and work on a no facilities site without access even to a flush toilet and decent washing facilities is not something that happens on other campsites in the western world. It might even be against the law. If the Club cannot provide properly for its employed staff then those no facility sites should close.

Cornersteady replied on 27/08/2024 14:13

Posted on 27/08/2024 14:13

No facilities sites, have been going for decades, they would have been shut long before now if anything was against the law I would imagine.

From various talks with wardens moving to one they liked the no facility sites as less cleaning to do each day, not sure if that is reflected in their pay.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook