Campsites closing at the end of the 2024 season

RowenaBCAMC replied on 11/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 11/07/2024 11:22

In recent years the Club has acquired some fantastic new campsites for members including Dornafield in Devon, Carnon Downs in Cornwall, Bridport in Dorset and Cayton on the Yorkshire coast. Collectively these campsites provide over 160,000 additional pitch nights per year for members. This year the Club is also busy improving Edinburgh, Godrevy in Cornwall, Tredegar House near Newport, Blackpool South, Steamer Quay in Devon and Old Hartley in Tyne & Wear, with new hardstanding pitches, additional serviced and premium pitches, new playgrounds, multi-use games areas, shower blocks, inclusive bathrooms and road resurfacing. 

Sadly, a handful of our Club campsites have underperformed for a number of years, with the amount of members staying at these campsites reducing annually. Operating these campsites has become unsustainable and puts more pressure on other Club campsites to return a positive revenue contribution back to the Club to enable investment in the existing campsite network and the purchase of additional campsites to enhance the network. 

As such, we have taken the difficult decision to close Bromyard Downs, Broomfield Farm, Dockray Meadow, Gwern-y-Bwlch and Nunnykirk Club Campsites at the end of the 2024 season. Combined, these campsites provide around 250 pitches to members, which is less than 1% of our UK Club campsite network pitch availability.

While closing campsites will be disappointing for some members, our UK Club campsite network provides approximately 180,000 more available pitch nights than in 2018 across fantastic locations that are popular with the wider membership.

Thank you to those of you who have supported these campsites over the years. We hope you will enjoy exploring our UK campsite network and finding a new favourite location and Club campsite.

RedKite replied on 25/08/2024 16:49

Posted on 25/08/2024 16:49

Just had an email from a friend who is on Ilminster near Chard site and very quiet as they have closed all facilities this year with low fees and said that the staff had the site to themselves/ for 2  nights last week and the site is closing at the end of 2025 season not enough bookings it sounds like and a shorter season next year a shame as we have stayed on this site twice a few years ago  and enjoyed it, think there will be more closures next year the way things are going.

Takethedogalong replied on 25/08/2024 17:18

Posted on 25/08/2024 17:18

Nearly £25 per night for a couple, without any facilities. Closes second week in September as well. There’s obviously a business plan to ditch the cheap sites, get the income in from the £40+ a night sites. Suspect this won’t be the last to go.

mickysf replied on 25/08/2024 20:04

Posted on 25/08/2024 17:18 by Takethedogalong

Nearly £25 per night for a couple, without any facilities. Closes second week in September as well. There’s obviously a business plan to ditch the cheap sites, get the income in from the £40+ a night sites. Suspect this won’t be the last to go.

Posted on 25/08/2024 20:04

I do hope you are wrong, Ttda, such a shame if we lost the North Yorkshire Moors site. It is reasonably well frequented during the season and has much going for it.

KjellNN replied on 25/08/2024 21:51

Posted on 25/08/2024 21:51

I wonder…..do we have a divide here…….those who are happy to use their own facilities entirely, and those who are possibly happy to empty  shower/kitchen waste and liquid toilet waste but not solids?

I would think that those of us who have been Caravanning/MHing since the 70s are more relaxed on toilet emptying as site facilities were more basic then.

DavidKlyne replied on 25/08/2024 23:27

Posted on 25/08/2024 23:27

Whilst its very sad that sites are closing I imagine the Club have done the sums? It seems they have more confidence that somewhere like Lickpenny, which has just been purchased, is a better long term prospect than the non facility sites which they are closing? Even the more successful CL's now seem to have facilities that match main sites? You used to see posts on some forums asking why manufacturers waste time putting showers in caravans! So perhaps Kj has a point about people only wanting sites with good facilities?

David

Freddy55 replied on 26/08/2024 21:47

Posted on 25/08/2024 21:51 by KjellNN

I wonder…..do we have a divide here…….those who are happy to use their own facilities entirely, and those who are possibly happy to empty  shower/kitchen waste and liquid toilet waste but not solids?

I would think that those of us who have been Caravanning/MHing since the 70s are more relaxed on toilet emptying as site facilities were more basic then.

Posted on 26/08/2024 21:47

Yes, I would put myself in the second category.

richardandros replied on 27/08/2024 04:53

Posted on 25/08/2024 20:04 by mickysf

I do hope you are wrong, Ttda, such a shame if we lost the North Yorkshire Moors site. It is reasonably well frequented during the season and has much going for it.

Posted on 27/08/2024 04:53

I agree mickysf - that it would be such a shame if we lost NYM - but - as I reported upthread, when we were there last month, it was barely half full for the week we were there.  Compare that with two years previously when, at exactly the same time of year, it was almost full to capacity.

One thing I have noticed is that when we first started going there, the pitch price was well below the average pitch price we paid for all sites during a particular year, whereas now, NYM has become about the average -- and that compares with sites, particularly CLs and CS's that have either fully serviced pitches - or the ability to improvise in that direction.

Although it might not influence us in deciding whether or not to stay there, it might influence others perhaps being perceived as not offering the value for money that it once did. This can only be as a result of a decision by the Club and it seems to me that they have priced themselves out of that particular sector of the market, deliberately or otherwise.

Justus2 replied on 27/08/2024 08:41

Posted on 27/08/2024 08:41

In the summer months when the sun is shining and the ground is hard, we tend to use camping club temporary holiday sites. They only provide water and waste but at around £10 to £15 per night are all we need and we find them preferable to any club sites. We don't use bigger sites except during early and late season.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/08/2024 09:13

Posted on 27/08/2024 09:13

I am sure that if you have a caravan then NYM, and you don't mind using your own facilities, is a good possibility for a stay but if you have a motorhome (now 50% of the membership apparently) it's too far out in the sticks even despite its good value, how can people complain about £25 a night? Sandford House Farm the other side of Whitby would be my choice for that area. Good bus service at the end of the site road. You can walk down to the beach, and on into Whitby,  (the walk back might be difficult for some as its steep?) The site has good quality facilities. That is what NYM is up against. We would not avoid a site because it didn't have a facility block as we always used our own facilities but it seems, increasingly, that more members are requiring showers and toilets. 

David

eurortraveller replied on 27/08/2024 09:53

Posted on 27/08/2024 09:53

All sorts of members go to remote, no facilities sites and say how much they enjoy it  -  - for short spells. Whether they would go and live there for months as wardens on a site without modern facilities is another matter.
But if the Club is finding it difficult to staff these sites then a family could offer to take over, on a lease or a franchise, and see if they can make a profitable living. But I doubt if they will.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook