When is a CL not a CL?

JohnM20 replied on 30/04/2018 10:56

Posted on 30/04/2018 10:56

We've just been to two CLs over the last two weeks but was puzzled by numbers.

When we arrived at the first CL there were already 6 caravans pitched on individual hard standings with another available for us. Additionally there were another two caravans arguably just outside what could have been considered the boundary of the CL. All of us had EHUs and plenty of space between units (more than on a main club site) so the additional units didn't bother us at all. Incidentally, this 'unique' CL has been mentioned, in a positive way, in an article in the club magazine so is known to E.G..

The second site had EHUs and generously sized hard standings for 6 outfits plus another two H/S with hook-ups beyond the confines of the CL. There were only five caravans during our week's stay. Again, there was more than adequate space between outfits. At this second site they displayed their license which covered a maximum of 8 outfits so would this mean that they could legally have 6 outfits within the CL confines plus two additional ones 'over the wall'?

It may be that the first CL had a license allowing for more than five outfits but if so it wasn't on display.

I won't mention where these CLs are as I would certainly like to pay a return visit at some time.

harryb replied on 30/04/2018 12:28

Posted on 30/04/2018 12:28

The CL's which are CMC refistered are for 5 vans only and breaking this limit can result in closure by the club. Not sure about your description of the license showing 8 outfits. In fact I have never ever seen a license on display.

Some sites will seem to have more than five pitches and the owner will say that the extra pitches give the member a choice. Others will openly flaut the rule to maximise takings

Some sites will limit members to 5 pitches but may have a small licensed site adjacent. I know of one in Devon that is a commercial site with just a roped off area in one corner for a cl.

It is a much discussed subject and judging by your last sentence it is a situation that doesn't bother you and that is your choice

compass362 replied on 30/04/2018 14:39

Posted on 30/04/2018 14:39

I'm aware that some CL,s hold a CMC licence for a 5 unit site , some also hold local tourist board licence for a further 5 units so they tend to have 2 separate pitching areas .

Small indepentant sites can also have a 5 unit CS /CL licence too.👍

richardandros replied on 30/04/2018 15:16

Posted on 30/04/2018 15:16

We stayed on a CL in North Yorkshire a couple of years ago on which there were 10 vans.  It was a lovely site with acres of space and in a light-hearted way, I asked the owner how he managed it.  He then told me that the site was actually two CLs and all that was dividing them was a newly planted hedge about 18" high - but that was obviously sufficient to satisfy the powers that be.

It was only £11 per night - with a toilet and the usual facilities -  and when I went to pay, the wife returned some of what I gave her and told me I got a discount for paying for seven nights!  Plus, there was a village pub just across the road.

What more could you ask for?

Fisherman replied on 30/04/2018 16:53

Posted on 30/04/2018 16:53

How long before they leave the network. Makes sense to put infrastr cture in for more than 5 when there is plenty of space. Its the system that pushes Cl owners to have more than 5 just to recoup their expenditure. Like the first poster I would not report a Cl if there was plenty of space

CumbrianCaravanner replied on 30/04/2018 18:53

Posted on 30/04/2018 10:56 by JohnM20

We've just been to two CLs over the last two weeks but was puzzled by numbers.

When we arrived at the first CL there were already 6 caravans pitched on individual hard standings with another available for us. Additionally there were another two caravans arguably just outside what could have been considered the boundary of the CL. All of us had EHUs and plenty of space between units (more than on a main club site) so the additional units didn't bother us at all. Incidentally, this 'unique' CL has been mentioned, in a positive way, in an article in the club magazine so is known to E.G..

The second site had EHUs and generously sized hard standings for 6 outfits plus another two H/S with hook-ups beyond the confines of the CL. There were only five caravans during our week's stay. Again, there was more than adequate space between outfits. At this second site they displayed their license which covered a maximum of 8 outfits so would this mean that they could legally have 6 outfits within the CL confines plus two additional ones 'over the wall'?

It may be that the first CL had a license allowing for more than five outfits but if so it wasn't on display.

I won't mention where these CLs are as I would certainly like to pay a return visit at some time.

Posted on 30/04/2018 18:53

The second site you mention certainly had 6 generous pitches and 2 pitches just outside the cl site at the entrance , like yourself it didn't bother me as there was plenty space and weren't on top of other pitches. Nice to chat to you about European touring on sunday morning :-)

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2018 19:10

Posted on 30/04/2018 19:10

I find it strange that people know by accepting more than 5 vans CLs are putting the whole issue of the club's right to issue exemption certificates at risk but they still come on here and talk about the offending sites without being prepared to tell the club about it officially.

Either report them or keep quiet but dropping hints and discussing the issue without naming names is doing no one any favours. As it is, we view every site reviewed by those commenting they've come across overcrowding with deep suspicion. 

Am I mistaken in thinking this isn’t the first time the OP has raised the subject? My apology if I’ve confused him with someone else.

replied on 30/04/2018 19:24

Posted on 30/04/2018 19:10 by Tinwheeler

I find it strange that people know by accepting more than 5 vans CLs are putting the whole issue of the club's right to issue exemption certificates at risk but they still come on here and talk about the offending sites without being prepared to tell the club about it officially.

Either report them or keep quiet but dropping hints and discussing the issue without naming names is doing no one any favours. As it is, we view every site reviewed by those commenting they've come across overcrowding with deep suspicion. 

Am I mistaken in thinking this isn’t the first time the OP has raised the subject? My apology if I’ve confused him with someone else.

Posted on 30/04/2018 19:24

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tinwheeler replied on 30/04/2018 19:35

Posted on 30/04/2018 19:24 by

The OP explained why he was not giving names TW, quite reasonably IMO.

Posted on 30/04/2018 19:35

I understand that, DD, but wouldn’t it be better to keep completely quiet rather than cast aspersions? Half a story helps no one, not us, not the club and not the CLs whose names we can probably deduce with a little effort. 

replied on 30/04/2018 20:26

Posted on 30/04/2018 20:26

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

JohnM20 replied on 01/05/2018 07:50

Posted on 30/04/2018 18:53 by CumbrianCaravanner

The second site you mention certainly had 6 generous pitches and 2 pitches just outside the cl site at the entrance , like yourself it didn't bother me as there was plenty space and weren't on top of other pitches. Nice to chat to you about European touring on sunday morning :-)

Posted on 01/05/2018 07:50

And nice to talk to you too. I hope you will get the chance to venture to France before too long. It was very clever of you to spot which CL I was referring to.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook