Lack of proper CL site information

footlooserv replied on 23/07/2020 17:52

Posted on 23/07/2020 17:52

Who else out there is fed up with CL listings that are so far out of date (prices from 2016 etc) and no photos to show what the site is like? Many do not have emails and consequently you need to make phone calls for prices etc. You then risk booking a site and turn up to find it is not desirable - or as recently having talked to people the very old 8 year bad reviews are totally wrong with the site having changed hands - no new reviews as people seem to be avoiding it.

Surley the Club should police the CL advertisements insisteing that there are photos and also up tp date prices for year beginning.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2020 18:03

Posted on 23/07/2020 18:03

I understand the club is addressing the photo issue.

I'm afraid that CL owners are their own worst enemy at times. If they can't he bothered to update their details, I assume the site isn't worth visiting and I look elsewhere.

JVB66 replied on 23/07/2020 19:13

Posted on 23/07/2020 18:09 by JVB66

Moderator Edit:

Content removed as information posted was not official or confirmed.

Posted on 23/07/2020 19:13

Oh dearundecided and you know different? or has it changedsurprised?

SeasideBill replied on 23/07/2020 19:30

Posted on 23/07/2020 19:30

It’s a good point... first thing I look at when researching any site is the reviews. If there’s nothing (photos or description) I wouldn’t give the place a second thought. I’ve probably missed out on some great sites,but hey ho. It’s amazing that anybody would go through the process of becoming a CL and then not bother to promote it - mad!

Takethedogalong replied on 23/07/2020 20:19

Posted on 23/07/2020 20:19

We tend to do a lot of our own research. CLs are often listed elsewhere, such as UKcampsites, Pitchup, Etc..... Plus we are always on look out for somewhere new when we visit different areas. We check locations and surroundings via OS maps and Google Earth, read any reviews (sifting out the rants and the strange!). We don’t mind emailing or telephoning with any questions we might have as well. 

It would be good if Club and CL owners could make sure details are as up to date as possible though, and if some decent photos are available.

nelliethehooker replied on 23/07/2020 20:52

Posted on 23/07/2020 19:30 by SeasideBill

It’s a good point... first thing I look at when researching any site is the reviews. If there’s nothing (photos or description) I wouldn’t give the place a second thought. I’ve probably missed out on some great sites,but hey ho. It’s amazing that anybody would go through the process of becoming a CL and then not bother to promote it - mad!

Posted on 23/07/2020 20:52

Maybe that CL has a set of clientele, that they have built up over the years, who turn up year in year out, tell their friends and the site is as full as the owners wants during the period that they are open.

However I do agree that many could do a lot more to promote themselves. Nowadays if the site has no photos or it's own website and old reviews, unless it has been recommended to me personally or by regulars on here it tend to ignore it. I just wish that those at HO responsible for CLs would ensure that a site photo is posted, especially for new ones, and advise all owners that CT has a section available for them to promote their site. It would also be nice if we, the CL users, could be informed on a more regular basis than is happening at the moment of additions and closures of CLs.

DavidKlyne replied on 23/07/2020 20:58

Posted on 23/07/2020 20:58

A lot of CL's now use Facebook where additional information is available but I would expect they would be the ones that provide photos anyway. It's a shame that reviewers can't add photos into a review like we can in the discussion and story section.

David

Tinwheeler replied on 23/07/2020 21:35

Posted on 23/07/2020 21:35

It could be said to be short sighted if they use FB instead of (rather than as well as) the website of the very club that has granted them their exemption certification as their business is going to come via the club through the membership.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook